Barn or roll up door?

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Does it matter barn or roll up door to most carriers? Are you more likely to get hired on with one or the other on your truck? Get more jobs?

Thanks.

Robert

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
With roll-up doors you lose some height inside the box. With barn doors you may want to check the thickness of the doors themselves. I've seen them 3" thick and in some cases that will make a difference in whether or not you can haul a load.
I'm on the short side so I like the swinging doors because I can always reach them. :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FedEX has minimum door opening sizes. They have minimum interior sizes as well. The bigger the better, in most cases. My doors are 4"
thick. They have never kept me from hauling a load, at least not yet. I have a reefer truck. Most dry vans have thin doors.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
FedEX has minimum door opening sizes. They have minimum interior sizes as well. The bigger the better, in most cases. My doors are 4"
thick. They have never kept me from hauling a load, at least not yet. I have a reefer truck. Most dry vans have thin doors.

This is a good example for those thinking about getting a truck to know what the requirements and needs are when specing their truck. Because Joe and I haul for different carriers we carry different freight. What works in one situation will not necessarily work in all.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have a roll up. If you don't keep the rollers lubed up, you may not get in it one day. Lowes sells a spray for garage doors that works really well.

As mentioned, I loose about 5" in height with the door up. Also adds about 4.5" to the length.

For me, next one will be barn style.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Barn door are better in the long run if you ask me. Had a truck that had a roll up door the rolls would go bad or the spring would break. When that happens you better be strong that way you can lift the door.

guido4475

Not a Member
In the weight frame of mind, keep in mind that barn-style doors are also alot lighter than a complete roll-up door setup.Especially if the barn-style doors are constructed of an aluminum frame,covered by white aluminum panels, instead of a plywood clad barn door.

matlack

Expert Expediter
We have driven trucks that had both types of doors.

Here is one benefit;

The truck with the rollup door had a small platform extension or lip.
This lip sometimes allows a small gap for the driver to climb up between the box and the dock or to stand on the ground outside and peak inside the box while backed to the dock.
Useful when drivers not allowed on the dock.

Here are two potential problems;

This truck had a notched out strip with two drains where the door meets the floor to catch water; if those drains become clogged then rainwater can leak inside causing the floor of the box to become wet.

A rollup door is sometimes difficult to open if hauling an extremely cold temp load as the door can stick or freeze to the seals.
Someone suggested keeping the seals lubed would help.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey Matlack!! Not to hijack the htread, just a quick interruption..

When I 1st seen your name without the avatar i week or so ago, I figured you were an old Matlack driver and the old memories of those green Macks pulling into the Sohio gas stations I use to work at as a kid pumping gas (remember those? LOL) and later as a mechanic in Sohio Care care Centers. We use to get our gas and retail automotive products delivered by Matlack as they served as the "supply chain" for delivery of the "Atlas" products sold in those Sohio Car Care centers.

I always wanted (an still think about it every now and then) to pickup one of those old Macks and restore it....Seeing that picture, well my wife thinks i am nuts!!! LOL...Welcome to the forum!!!

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Chef--If you want to talk about hijacking my thread buddy boi, you better rethink and hijack that fine Mack in the avatar, that is a fine old truck. lol... j/k

Man that is sweet!

Robert