Bankruptcy Thank You

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, I had tis conversation witha Load planner today. I haveturned dow 3 runs since sept. @ because I was dH'ing home for my wedding anniversary and both would have taken me way out of my way and the other was just a wasted run that they had 3 party and no one would take so they had to turn back, in all 3 situations, dispatch was ok, and it wasn't a problem.

Now for the most part the load planners do call a 4-5 times a week asking if I want them to bid on a load for me. Hell yes. some i get some i don't. So TODAY I got that call, and yes when they call, they are polite and do make small talk, i am ok with that. But I asked the young lady, way do you call and not simply bid it, then call after you get it and just tell me you have a run for me? her answer made sense. They call because if they are going to bid on a load, they have to know that they have a truck to cover it before they bid, they can't have drivers turning it down once they have bid it. not all drivers take all loads offered, we all know that. Also, not all loads come from bid boards, all of these companies have sales staffs out husling freight to have customers call direct, bypassing bid boards.

Now you also need to knwo while that load planner is talking to you, they are also bidding loads, you aren't they only driver waiting. Yea they can be chatty and friendly and againi have no problem with that, but they are "multi tasking", not just talking to you.

No company bids a load too high knowing that they won't get it. without you loaded and making money, they aren't making money. I constantly hear that it cost the companies nothing to have too many trucks. Well trucks are what pay the companies bills. Without trucks running, they can't pay te rent, the phone and internet bills. They can't pay for the people in the office and they can't pay you. They don't bid too high just to do it. they get out bid, its that simple............

No one like to wait. I'd love to be pre-dispatched on every run, but it doesn't happen, even during good times. during the slow times we are in now and i am not talking the winter i am talking the economic slowdown, you are going to wait, longer then you did in june, it the way it is.

You have been with 3 companies in what looks like less then a year and a half. It looks like you have been with all 3 less then or maybe just over 2 yrs. You asked if you should stay around and hit all the companies. 1st id say that after 4-5 different companies in less then 4-5 yrs, most companies aren't going to have a place for you. 2nd, I'd tell you to quit now, whole its not alot right now, the freight you are getting will go back in the pool to go to the rest of us!!

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
It's not the end of the line for you buddy. Just drive for a fleet owner that helps you get loads when the company does not offer loads. Hopefully you can save your home if you have one.

karatekid

Seasoned Expediter
For those who truly care and was nice enough to hope everything on my end is ok.... I will be ok.. BK was something I chose to do and yes my house will be saved out of it(thank god), for my kids sake too. I am like a cat and will land on my feet.. I truly did LOVE driving, the conversations on the CB(most of the time..haha), meeting my fellow expeditors at the truck stops, etc.
For those of you who dont:
Maybe I did not have all the right answers, or make all the right decisions.. but I tried.. **** hard guys.. HONESTLY. I stuck in there for as long as I could.. and I was trying to be loyal to my company..
I didnt fail just to come on here and post my frustrations.
Best Luck to ALL of you!!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no saving him, In his first post he said he took a load that was a cargo van load and they forgot to tell him? Surely he know what the pay was when he accepted the load, Then ran his truck at a loss.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
KarateKid (or whomever you are...not that it matters one bit) I feel for ya bud but I have to say that if you loved it, stick with it. Get out for a bit replenish your resources and come back. The most important thing in life is to do what you like to do...material possessions come and go but enjoying what you do is far more important. If you were in this industry for the money you were in it for the wrong reason.

Some of what these people on this forum say is truth... you should have left the carrier if it wasn't performing to your satisfaction. The sad reality right now is that freight is way down due to the time of year and current economic conditions carriers can't get the freight to give you, thats just the way it is. Everyone, myself included, is experiencing the same thing right now freight is slow and the rates are bad. You might just want to wait a bit and see what develops, things have a habit of changing.

These people here that say its a business really are quite wrong, For o/o this isnt a business its a lifestyle choice, sure its got elements in it that require business decisions but they are hardly filled with complex economic considerations or any organizational theories or even savy marketing stratigies. lets be realistic its got the same business decisions a paperboy would make.

My point is that if you really enjoyed it you need to take a time out, re-evaluate the market, the carriers, and most importantly why you want to be in the industry, if you find that this is the lifestyle you want then maybe the house has to go, or you need to do something else drastic with your current lifestyle that will allow you to do what you enjoy doing. I can tell you first hand that as a person that has given up a lucrative law practice that I quite frankly despised, i would rather try to survive doing what I enjoy doing then have the money.....Last I heard you still can't take it with you.

Best of luck to you, I hope you find what your looking for.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
See that was the problem with them, they called with loads they could bid on. I would state "have I ever turned down a load?" NO "Im sitting a week here, and do you really think I would turn down a load?" They dispatchers would call and start up a conversation with me like were friends "hey hows it going" "What you up to" and so on..then say Oh I have a load I can bid on here for you ..then explain the details of the load then bid on it.. a couple of times by the time they were finished with the hey, hi, what you doing they would say.. "oh wait,............. oh, the load is gone" JUST UNREAL!!!!!
BTW, I was with Express-1 for a while but not running much.. so after eight months I went to Tri-State... started out good but same thing...9 months later I switched. So I did move when the outlook of longevity was bleak.. Should I stay around and hit all the companies? really.

This thread just doesn't pass the "smell test". Seems a little fishy.

First, he claims to have been with this mysterious company, in first post, at least since october. Then claims to have been with E-1 and Tri for 17 mos so he has at least close to 2 YEARS experience. Now I don't know about Tri but that would never happen at E-1 what he has claimed to happen at preasent company. One would think after the other two experiences and then he was in this situation he would have jumped ship after 1 month.

Secondly, he claims his dispatchers would call and make small talk and ask if he wants them to bid on all these loads for him but NEVER get them. After the 2nd time they did that to me I would be "don't call me unless you have a confirmed load for me" if he "never turned down a load".

Thirdly, he is so quick to blame everyone else but himself. Prolly just looking for a handout. Dude if this has happened to you all I can say is you brought it upon yourself.

So with the smell test I say fishy. Actully kinda smells like McClain :eek:

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Ya just never know the whole story, I'm sure dispatch would bend our ear a bit regarding the full picture of said mystery company.
However, there may be something to this or that carrier. I heard Kevin on XM today stating the CEO of Landstar noticed a trend for shippers more and more looking for carriers with STRONG balance sheets rather then putting price pressures on the carriers claiming shippers see the carriers running a little nervous about not making it in the long haul.
Question is; If this trend exists, does it pertian to expedite freight or do we assume all of our loads are "bid on" and the lowest bidder always wins? AND, if it does pertian to expedite, can a non-publicly traded (not listed on any stk exchange) company's balance sheet be easily gotten for consideration?
Bottom line is, change is about the only thing constant anymore, or always has been, and those of us willing to regroup and come of with a different workable approach will survive. You will never see me mooping around, feelin down........ain't in my gene pool, broke or not. I have gained valuable information from longtime O/O and drivers here and plan to continure molding and reshaping.

Doug B
Panther St Trk H/W Team

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bottom line is, change is about the only thing constant anymore, or always has been, and those of us willing to regroup and come of with a different workable approach will survive. You will never see me mooping around, feelin down........ain't in my gene pool, broke or not. I have gained valuable information from longtime O/O and drivers here and plan to continure molding and reshaping.

Doug B
Panther St Trk H/W Team

You are 100% right on what you are saying get out there and learn what you can from many different sources. Take what you learn and apply it to your business. We had to change our business model when the price of fuel sky rocketed, now with the slump we will once again change our business model.

I really like your statement “mopping around is not in my gene pool”! How great and true is that. Once again we will survive this year and have fun doing it. While sitting around find things to do in the truck that do not cost money. Books are a great thing for the mind. Re work your budget if you do not have a spread sheet or a way to track expenses get it done. Do not let yourself get down.

In another post it is exactly right this is a lifestyle and if you loved it you will find you will end up re grouping and jumping in again. We also tried to get away from trucking at one time and found that did not work. We re grouped and tried a different segment of trucking and found our niche.

Step back and decide what you need to do.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
These people here that say its a business really are quite wrong, For o/o this isnt a business its a lifestyle choice, sure its got elements in it that require business decisions but they are hardly filled with complex economic considerations or any organizational theories or even savy marketing stratigies. lets be realistic its got the same business decisions a paperboy would make.

WRONG!!!!!

Lifestyle choice? That sounds like some politically correct term made up by someone who uses his truck for vacation first, business second. If you want a hobby, I suggest coin collecting. If you want to vacation, I suggest grabbing an RV or an old VW bus and be on your way. The lazes-faire view of expediting is what puts many in the situation this thread talks about.

No, the biz is not one you'd have to be a rocket scientist to succeed at; but you do have to have more scruples than a regular OTR truck driver, IMO.
Yes, there are ppl who are in this for a living... and they take their business seriously. Comparing expediters to paperboys insults both their dedication and their success.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do paperboys, excuse me, paperPERSONS, even exist anymore? My second job I ever had was delivering papers when I was 12. I started the second week of January and had 72 customers. While I wasn't in love with the "lifestyle" choice in snow and sub-zero wind chills, I lasted a year and a half.

Expediting not a business? Can you believe someone would actually post that?

randb

Expert Expediter
The company we drive for has stopped paying all together. We are owed over 6000.00. We were told many times we would be paid by a certain time and it did not happen. We received a small pittance yesterday. Many other drivers have not been paid either. Neither the owner or anyone else called to say they were sorry or explain the situation. The owner won't even talk to us. We really feel we have been abused to the highest degree someone can treat another person in this business.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
The company we drive for has stopped paying all together. We are owed over 6000.00. We were told many times we would be paid by a certain time and it did not happen. We received a small pittance yesterday. Many other drivers have not been paid either. Neither the owner or anyone else called to say they were sorry or explain the situation. The owner won't even talk to us. We really feel we have been abused to the highest degree someone can treat another person in this business.

Leave this carrier right now and get a lawyer. I would find myself another carrier A.S.A.P.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You drive for a owner? and the Carrier is still in Business? Sounds like the owner is getting paid and The owner is not paying you? Either way it's time to Bail and get a Lawyer!

truckrnnr

Seasoned Expediter
I can totally feel your pain. I have been in the business since 1998 and WOW have I seen things change. My personal opinion is that there is no room in expediting for a solo straight truck O/O. (a solo load can go on a team truck,but a team load cannot go on a solo truck)
My operating costs are low,and I'm not a greedy person,........I don't need to make a ton of money to be happy and survive. But when I'm down to 5-600 loaded miles a week at a cut rate and 30-40% dead head,it didn't take long to realize that I'm sinking fast with no help in sight (well,it's in sight,they just don't care)
Companies taylor to fleet owner trucks and the one truck O/O get the scraps that are left over.
As long as there are a steady stream of trucks coming through orientations to replace the steady stream of trucks leaving every week, nothing will change. Companies offer the world to get you signed on,once you do that they hit you with start up fees for everything,........you have to stay there for a month just to cover those costs and that whole month they will be making that money from you as well as on the loads you deliver.
Plus there is the steady stream of newbies coming in who have no idea what its like,but the recruiters tell them the sun always shines and the grass is always green,................thats like leading a lamb to slaughter.They should be ashamed of themselves.
I love this industry,and hope everyone the best of luck,but I'm afraid my time is short for the business.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Rob.
P.S. sitting at home with no money,no fuel,debating weather to turn the truck in now,or try one more time next week.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
the biggest problem at the moment is a lot of people are bankrupt,they just don't want to admit it and keep hoping a miracle is about to happen.

From all I have read the earliest that there is gonna be a turnaround in this industry is the second quarter and that is only going to happen if and thats a big IF everything goes as our government has planned it.

Now I am not a big believer that the Government is willing to make the unpopular choices it needs to make for that to happen.

I have set my sights on a year from now and am planning accordingly,if it happens sooner then I will be pleasantly suprised.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can sympathize with your plight, only in as much as I hate to see anyone not make it
in any business venture.
Some have the ability some dont. This isnt to say you cant yet be successful in expeditng,
it will take some changes on YOUR behalf. You are in business for yourself. Take on the accountability and responsibility. Review what put you into bankruptcy.
Maybe running for an owner that baby sits his drivers is what you need. Not being sarcastic but an owner who will educate you and teach you the ropes is not only watching out for you but himself.
In other industries I have been associated with over my 40 years of working, i have found that when times are tough companies are less likely to baby sit. They let nature take its course and let economics cull the herd.
I would recommend putting at least a year in one company before jumping ship. Learn their operation and formulate a plan once you learn their strong suit in expediting.
Waiting for the spoon to be put into your mouth wont cut it.
I wish you luck in getting out the hole you've fallen into.
Most that fail did so before they even turned the ignition on for the first dispatch.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Been look'in at this post with some interest. Seems the don't wanna go there ers have quit posting a long time ago, an are prolly gone, gone, gone. Seems now the don't need much ers are bout the next to giver up. The don't need much ers had the opportunity to salvage themselves a long time ago, but chose not to. Anytime you don't make the hay when the sun shines, it'll most likely get rained on, or, at a minimum will loose a lotta leaves.

I'm pretty much with the guy that noted that this is about a paper girl level of business savy when leased to a carrier. It's not rocket science when yer listn'in for a beep, an those of you that tink ya have a crystal ball are fulla crap.

If ya like this business, an yer good - doit yousef.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been look'in at this post with some interest. Seems the don't wanna go there ers have quit posting a long time ago, an are prolly gone, gone, gone. Seems now the don't need much ers are bout the next to giver up. The don't need much ers had the opportunity to salvage themselves a long time ago, but chose not to. Anytime you don't make the hay when the sun shines, it'll most likely get rained on, or, at a minimum will loose a lotta leaves.

I'm pretty much with the guy that noted that this is about a paper girl level of business savy when leased to a carrier. It's not rocket science when yer listn'in for a beep, an those of you that tink ya have a crystal ball are fulla crap.

If ya like this business, an yer good - doit yousef.

Its not rocket science this biz....some make it out for more then it is...like it's the Holy Grail...your drivin a truck...a glorified truck driver...nothing more nothin less....like it or not, them the nuts and bolts of it...

Just get out there and git er done...

I've hung in for 8 years in a cargo van dancin to someone eles music and still make the money....

regrets I've had a few....a few too many.....as the song goes....:D