Bankruptcy Thank You

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Things are getting tough out there
I'm with RJR transport and they are 6-7 weeks behind on payroll that is in addition to the normal 3 week delay after delivery of load.
may have to switch carriers. They say that they are using comdata to factor invoices, and comdata has not paid them, so they can't pay us, however the fuel card still works and they are still taking out the truck escrow on each payroll statement. they send me email statements of payroll but are only making small incremental payments to bank.
getting less than 150.00 a week on 3700 past due.

I think I would be jumping ship and grabbing a lawyer. Notice they drop their advertising here on EO as well. That can happen when the focus gets too much on undercutting everyone.
If you run cheap enough and long enough, eventually it will catch up.

Last edited:

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
I read this thread and find myself looking at the way I have been doing business lately. I am 2 weeks from breaking even and a week from going under and have been that way for a few months now. I dont plan on giving up. But I can feel the sting of the words I have read here. Some have been downright rude and others have been quite blunt. Most have been harsh. ALL HAVE MADE ME THINK!!!!. And wasn't that the point? Leave this post up and as suggested earlier, anchor it. I think I have a pretty good grasp on this business but this one thread has given me pause. I am not "scared off" but I am going back to look at some numbers the need trimming. Many will learn a thing or two from this one.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
..... they are 6-7 weeks behind on payroll that is in addition to the normal 3 week delay after delivery of load ..... may have to switch carriers.
MAY ??????

One thing that I absolutely will not tolerate is someone that I have business relationship with, screwing with MY money. It is the cardinal sin.

I can deal with and put up with alot of other stuff ...... being schmoozed (a polite term for .... ah .... a well-intentioned mis-statement of the facts) to some degree ..... or having my calls or emails ignored (for a time) .... or a host of other things ..... but when you screw with my money I tend to look at it as theft .... you may as well just pull a knife and hold it at my throat .... or stick a gun to my head ........ because you are robbing me - plain and simple. And I really don't much like it.

I have had the good fortune to work for two expedite companies - both of which have been very straight for the most part in regards to our mutual dealings with money - they both have paid what they said they were going to pay, when they said they were going to pay it - with only two minor exceptions, both of which were fairly easily remedied (one didn't even really need to be .... but it ultimately was ...)

The first instance was where I was dispatched and picked up a load that was supposed to pay a "C" rate. When I got to the shipper, the load ended up being less weight than booked and when I phoned in my loaded info I mentioned this to the Dispatcher and queried whether or not the load would still be paying a "C" rate (since it was now "B" weight) - I figured that it would and was happy to run it as a "B" and get the miles -but, to my surprise, was told yes, it would pay as "C" - because it was too tall to fit in a cargo van - which it could have been - but I didn't measure it to verify it. When this load eventually paid out, it paid out at a "B" rate.

By the time it paid out I had already made a decision to change carriers (which was made without knowing that the load would pay out less) When I went into to inform the Driver Relations guy about my decision to leave, I explained what my reasons were for leaving (which again, had nothing to with the above) and also told him that I wanted to mention something else to him - just simply because I felt he should be aware of it. This guy (and the owner of the company and everyone else that works there) were my friends - and remain so to this day.

I told him what had happened, and also told him (rather adamantly) that I did want, nor did I expect them, to pay me the difference in the "B" vs "C" money for the load - if they had only billed and collected it as "B" - but that I wanted him to make sure that this never, ever occurred again with anyone else in future - because if you don't deliver what is promised then you are pretty much toast .... that's just way the way it works in this world. A person or a company that can't be trusted ..... is of what value exactly ...... to anyone ? And these guys were/are my friends .... and so I wanted to see them do well.

He immediately got up and went and spoke to the Dispatcher in question (who happens to be his S.O.) and came back in a minute or so and said "Yeah, that wasn't right - she told you it would pay as a "C" and we're going to pay it at the "C" rate". I told him I didn't want it if they had only billed and collected it as a "B" rate - but he was adamant about it, insisted on it. Ultimately more adamant than I ....

This ..... is an example of someone (and a company) with integrity and a sense of honor and ethics (.... what a concept .....) ..... even after I just told him I was leaving. And it's not like they had money to burn - they operated a pretty tight ship and paid 70% + 100% FSC. If I ever looked to change carriers again these guys are always at the top of the list. They are good guys ..... in my book they really do deserve to succeed ....

The second instance was with the company I'm currently leased on with, where I had a small amount ($40) advanced to my ComData card to cover a paying for crossdock/swap fee on a load I picked up from another driver. I asked Dispatch specifically at the time they were going to do it, if I would be charged back (have it deducted from my settlement as an advance) for it and was assured that I would not be .... well, someone dropped the ball because sure enough it was deducted on my next settlement. While the amount of money was no big deal, it was somewhat irritating - because it took longer than it should have (partiy involved had a mother in the hospital and she got a little backlogged on handling minor stuff, which this certainly was) ... but mostly because someone (the dispatcher in question) had failed to do what they said they were going to do ...... and failed to deliver what was promised.

In almost two years of doing this, those are the only two "problems" I have ever had with carriers and money ...

Point is, that should be common place .... run-of-the-mill .... typical behavior - but it never will be .... unless all demand it be so. So ..... DEMAND IT.

They say that they are using comdata to factor invoices, and comdata has not paid them, so they can't pay us, however the fuel card still works and they are still taking out the truck escrow on each payroll statement. they send me email statements of payroll but are only making small incremental payments to bank.
I dunno who "they" is above ..... but if it was dispatch ..... or driver relations ..... or anyone less than the party who does the daily/weekly allocation of company's money (like the CFO or controller) I'd be asking to have the call transfered to that person .... or the owner.

Once I had them on the phone I'd want to know what exactly is their plan, in detail about how they are going to rectify the situation in a relatively short time-frame ...... and I wouldn't be accepting some glib, pie-in-the-sky answer either ...

And if at that point, they still ain't getting the picture, ask them if they think their corporate financial picture is going to be looking rosier with one less truck in the fleet ...... or one more competitor in the field ?

If it is as you state it, it sounds like the condition is continuing to worsen rather than improving (are they still dispatching you on loads ? if so, are you still running them ?) .... so they need to articulate a viable, workable plan that they have some realistic possibility of executing ..... if they can't do that, then the writings on the wall - undoubtedly for them as a company - and hopefully for your relationship with them as well - sooner the better.

getting less than 150.00 a week on 3700 past due.
At that rate it will take them over two years for them to pay you what is already owed ... and if they aren't keeping current with whatever you are running for them now it will only get worse. One cannot eat hope .... nor is it accepted as payment at Walmart or other fine business establishments.

That they could have ever allowed things to get this bad is evidence of incompetence at a minimum, and possibly gross financial malfeasance or criminality .... and certainly of failure to act effectively in response to a financial emergency ....

I know this was long-winded (I do like to tell a story - can ya tell ? ...... :D) .... but this kinda thing really just ticks me off .... it ain't right ..... do your part to prevent it.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I cannot understand how, after the the first 2-3 weeks have gone bye and a O\O keeps track of his loaded miles a person would continue to drive for a PROMISE, "the checks in the mail"

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

The company in question told me that they were holding my settlement sheet to save on postage.I never hauled another load for them.If they couldn't afford $.47 then they couldn't afford me.so R un away J ust R un away.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi

The company in question told me that they were holding my settlement sheet to save on postage.I never hauled another load for them.If they couldn't afford $.47 then they couldn't afford me.so R un away J ust R un away.

Some of us get a settlement sheet mailed also..I instructed E-1 to save the .47 cents to help trim operating costs. Well actually I just told them to stop mailing the junk mail the cost wasn't the reason.... BUT I can print mine online IF there is a need to....
of course if one has no online opportunity it still gets mailed.

All carriers have to trim operating costs however .47 cents looks it all adds up...multipy by the # of trucks.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
soon very soon, i will place my hand upon the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me god.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
patience, havent quite made it to the confessional. the Run away, Just, Run away was quite clever.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi

That wasn't very subtle Sir. Not very subtle at all. But funny!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
That wasn't very subtle Sir. Not very subtle at all. But funny!

Thanks for pointing that out Moot. It did slip by me. You know, with all the bad spelling, punctuation and grammar.. it makes it more challenging to decipher intentional code. :eek:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
pjjjjj, you are in the great north. what is the word on R un away J ust R un away up there or has in not been a topic. i understand the canadian drivers are dealing with this to.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
pjjjjj, you are in the great north. what is the word on R un away J ust R un away up there or has in not been a topic. i understand the canadian drivers are dealing with this to.

I don't know anyone up here who is leased onto them. I looked them up on the limited resources I have available to me.. (SafeStat etc)..
-It says they increased to 35 power units and drivers in Dec.08, up from 11 in Sep.08.
-Also says their broker authority was revoked involuntarily in Apr.08 (and this is the second time noted in their file). (as listed on Safer website)
-In Nov/08 they became members of a popular load board, which I was kind of surprised at, since I would've figured they would've already been members. They came on with a stated 80 vehicles.
-Their accident history could also be better (as listed on Safer website).
-Couldn't find a record of them on the financial lookup thing (which is weird, but I guess if they don't broker out loads to others, it's not so weird).
-I've noticed they're not advertising here on EO any more, since when I don't know.
-Previously I had heard (might be true, might not) they don't try to cover a load unless they can do it themselves, which leads me to believe they are only taking brokered loads, and not finding their own shipping customers, because if they had real shippers, they wouldn't want to just say 'no'.

I guess if they were scurrying to sign a bunch of extra OOs on, and then found themselves with a few accident claims.. it could put a huge dent in your resources fairly quickly. Just a thought. But times are tough all around, so who knows.

Good luck y'all!

mirangerman

Expert Expediter
Dynamite 1
soon very soon, i will place my hand upon the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me god.
OntarioVanMan ......
Really? Maybe you should confess those sins and clear your soul....

Off-topic a bit, but ........

Reminds me of the debate about swearing about anything by God. Mostly becuase it had to do with the lines of what Jesus says about it. Which when ya really think about it ...... is swearing on the Bible - "Really", such a good idea? Especially when people don't know other peoples hearts?

OK - back 2 ur regularly scheduled topic!

-charles