Bacon

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Linda,
I heard about that too, the problem is I use the cast iron stuff for other things too. The reason I put it on the grill is to cook it all around at the same time, it comes out a lot crispier and cleaner. The heat flows around it, convection heat that is.

I learned there are two things about bacon, one is to get a good slab of it and cut it yourself which makes a lot of difference. The other is to keep the grease away from it when it cooks. Most of the time people will throw it in the pan then grease is hard to get all out of it which makes it rather cr*ppy when you freeze it, it is the grease/fat that goes bad if it is not properly cooks and cleaned.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am going to try that Greg when we go home for Thanksgiving since I do not have a pan I want to drill a hole in. I believe I cook a lot more at a time then Jim can in the microwave.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
at the wisc state fair there was a stand selling chocolate coverred bacon:eek::eek:. ummmmmmmmmm. it was very popular there. maybe next year it will be cheesey brats in chocolate.:confused:

brat or bacon fondue anyone? great appetizer for the expo next year.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Okay just to give an accurate report, I cooked Two pounds and ate my normal two sandwiches.

Step one: loaded eight slices onto tray one and tray two, placed tray one in the microwave set timer for five minutes, added one and half minutes when timer went off, put the toast in the toaster. Switched trays and put CRISP bacon on a paper towel, reloaded first tray poured ice cold milk, mayo'ed the toast and had first sandwich. pulled second tray reinserted first, reloaded second, and ate second sandwich. Time from start till done with two sandwiches, 25 minutes. Fifty minutes from start to having eaten two sandwiches, cooked two pounds of bacon, and cleaned up the mess, with a little more than a pound of cooked bacon in the frig for a couple of breakfasts this week.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jim all I can say to the above work on trying to eat two bacon sandwiches is now I know why you are so darn skinny!

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Linder,
I cook mine in the oven. you can put a full lb on a baking sheet at a time. I prefer to broil mine on low, but you can also bake it @ 350. if you have a baking dish with a rack, most of the grease will fall below. then take the drippings and mix it with cooked cabbage and some egg noodles...YUM!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sounds like a heck of a deal AnnaM and the cabbage and egg noodles sounds awesome!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My granny had an aluminum jar on her stove backstop that she kept bacon grease in. Whenever she cooked bacon it was drained into that. Then when she cooked green beans or corn she put a little scoop in them. That and salt were what she cooked with and her food was THE BEST. She had an iron skillet that she cooked the bacon in and talked about it being seasoned and other things I don't know about. All I know is her food was THE BEST.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Moot

Food Lion has it either way, with or without pepper. Wegmans will actually slice it to what ever thickness you want.

Scott

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
They say that if you cook bacon in the oven that to get the best results you should put the bacon in the oven and then turn the oven on. It's supposed to give you better results when wanting ummmmmm crisp bacon

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Now you have to wash that darn pan! First you have to heat your water, then wash the pan then use some more of your precious water to rinse the bacon rack off then dry the pan and find a place to store!

Easier to have you cook it at home Jim then seal it, then we just stop by and pick up our pre cooked bacon!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a great deal, I'll trade you that little labor for bringing me some of those Marlboro ultra light 100's from Mississippi.:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a cast iron skillet that gets used for two things: cooking bacon, and then cooking cornbread.

YarnDoll

Seasoned Expediter
Would you believe Layoutshooter doesn't like bacon!!? Well modern bacon, he says. (eye roll here) The last time I found bacon he liked was from McCain Farms out of West Monroe, LA. It's a small family owned business that processes their own meat. I love bacon, and the smell of bacon cooking is the best appetizer going. I guess it's a good thing for me that it's not around much.