Bacon

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Buying precooked bacon is expensive but it is really convenient to heat up in the truck. I am not going to cook bacon in the truck as I think the smell would linger for days on end. I was listening to a show a few months ago and the host came up with for me the perfect solution.

Last time I was at home I cooked a pound of bacon to where it was almost to the crisp stage then I drained and blotted. I then stuffed all of it into a freezer bag and froze it.

Now I can have bacon on my salads, have a BLT or whatever and I just get a few pieces of my frozen bacon out of the baggie and warm it up in the microwave.

This has really worked out well for me!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Buying precooked bacon is expensive but it is really convenient to heat up in the truck. I am not going to cook bacon in the truck as I think the smell would linger for days on end. I was listening to a show a few months ago and the host came up with for me the perfect solution.

Last time I was at home I cooked a pound of bacon to where it was almost to the crisp stage then I drained and blotted. I then stuffed all of it into a freezer bag and froze it.

Now I can have bacon on my salads, have a BLT or whatever and I just get a few pieces of my frozen bacon out of the baggie and warm it up in the microwave.

This has really worked out well for me!

you have a freezer in your truck to keep it in?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I have two problems with your post Linda, first is what in the world could possible be wrong with smelling bacon for days? Second and equally important is why would anyone EVER only cook one pound of bacon.

You never need an excuse/reason to either add garlic or to cook and eat bacon.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Jammin on this one! I LOVE bacon, and when I cook it, it's at least 3lbs at a shot. Did I mention I LOVE bacon?
When we have BLT's, it's BACON, lettuce and tomato. :D
I will have to try Linda's suggestion, because that sure would be cheaper.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
A pound of bacon? Next time you are going north on I-75 get off at the Birch Run Michigan exit and go to "TONYS".....Thier BLT has 1 lb of bacon on it:eek:... Indeed all thier food is served in Large portions......Room for truck parking

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Arby's has their Ultimate BLT that comes close to what I'd make at home. For a fast food BLT, it's awesome. They've also got a BLT Wrap, for when you're driving while eating, even though no one does that because it would be distracted driving and no expediters would do such a thing. But I would imagine that it's great for when you're driving. I don't even know why I brought it up. Never mind. Forget about the driving thing.

At participating restaurants only. Void where prohibited.
"Driving while eating" is for illustrative purposes only and
should not be construed as a suggestion. Individual results
will vary. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the
Communist Party. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Did I mention I HATE to cook bacon so even one pound of bacon tries my patience to no end. I also really like bacon and I have been pleased with how well this bacon has lasted and also the flavor. I will be doing this again next time we go home!

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Ya'll Bacon lovers need to try the West Virginia bacon, extra thick and rolled in cracked pepper!

Diced up and cooked with chicken livers and onions and served on a roll is awesome!

Scott

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Did I mention I HATE to cook bacon so even one pound of bacon tries my patience to no end. I also really like bacon and I have been pleased with how well this bacon has lasted and also the flavor. I will be doing this again next time we go home!

This is how I cook the bacon ummm bacon. I have two of these trays.
microwave bacon tray - Google Product Search
Takes about 6 or 7 minutes. so two pounds takes 30/40 minutes and no mess.

Turtle I'm disappointed that you did not post a link to the ummmmm bacon.:D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not do 30 to 40 minutes for bacon! That does not sound like fun Jim which is why my bacon is usually a clumped mess! I like really crisp bacon and have found my best luck is to just do it all in a pan and get it over with.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Great suggestion Linder! I, too, am one of those bacon lovers. I could down a pound of it in one sitting and go back for more. Nothing I love better than a bacon bagel sandwich with cream cheese. I have no patience to stand there and fry bacon so I've learned the quick way: spray a cookie sheet & lay out bacon slices. Cook it @ 425 degrees till it reaches the crispness you want. Quick, easy, and less mess. :)

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I don't know lay 8 to 10 slices on each tray, cover with a paper towel. stick one tray in seven minutes later crisp bacon. Insert next tray, load first tray sit back and eat first sandwich.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya'll Bacon lovers need to try the West Virginia bacon, extra thick and rolled in cracked pepper!

Up until a few years ago I was able to buy West Virginia Brand Bacon (regular, non pepper) at Cub Food Stores in Minnesota. Can't find it anymore. Where do you buy it? Best darn commercially packaged bacon I dun ever et. Currently buying Patrick Cudahy brand. Not bad, but it ain't West Virginia Brand.

Diced up and cooked with chicken livers and onions and served on a roll is awesome!

Hold the liver and I'll have two.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Grill, Drip pan with tin foil and three pounds of a bacon slab is all you need (well a very sharp knife too).

Cut the slab into strips (or rashers)making them sort of thick, put it on the grill on low heat with the drip pan underneath, close the lid and walk away for five minutes, do the dishes or something during that time.

Go back collect the cooked bacon, drain the drip pan and grill some more.

Once that is done, drain them on a rack with a drip pan under them, (don't laugh at this) wash the bacon by putting the strips in very hot water for a few seconds and then drying them off with a paper towel. This takes a lot of the grease off of them. What I do is package them up in groups of four, stick them in small vacuum bag and vacuum seal the bag.

Lasts for a long time in the fridge.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Greg someone else was just telling me about the idea to cook the bacon on the grill but they went one step further. They have a cast iron skillet only used for bacon and they drilled a hole in the pan to keep bacon drained while cooking. He said he has been doing it that way for years and like the fact there is no clean up.