Backing into Docks

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Does anybody have a good idea about backing into docks? I always want to back crooked. Everything looks great in the mirrors, get out and look at I am crooked every time. Not sure what I am doing wrong. The air tabs seem to help when backing into a space at the truck stop but once the doors are open no more air tabs.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
This is a big issue for Tod and I. I never drive backwards. (Relax guys, we all know a team helps on another out in a crunch, forget the sleeper birth rules here). But, when i took my CDL test I found that a focal point on my truck was my best tool. Linda, if you look on your wing window there is a small round rubber fitting. I used this fitting as a marker on the yellow line for the backing into a dock test. I did a perfect job! give it a try in a big empty lot. Good Luck!

barney

Expert Expediter
Sometimes the mirrors are too far out and when backing it looks straight in the mirror but really isn't. Try moving the mirrors as closer to the cab. In line with the box would be perfect. I drove a KW T600 once with those fancy $1000 mirrors and couldn't back up at all. They were way too far out.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks Barney

After thinking about that I bet that is part of my problem. I keep the mirrors way out when driving. I will try moving them in next time.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Kudo's for backing at all! I have spoken with many women who said they do not do any of the backing and I happen to be one of them also. It's not to say that I won't do it eventually, but for now, I like the arrangement as it stands, Mike does the backing and I do the paperwork.

I think for most of us women (well, from those I spoke with and as for myself), we get intimidated and nervous (partner is sitting right next
to you and/or the guys at the shipper/consignee are staring you down). I have backed into a few places when I have been alone in the truck and did an okay job. I for one need to gain a little more confidence and practice, practice, practice (of course when Mike is asleep in the bed). Funny thing is that I always back my car into a parking space, go figure!

Any other tips that you ladies (or men for that matter) on lining up, to back up would be appreciated.

Cynthia and Mike

Mike and Cyn

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It always helps to have yellow lines. Barring that, remember that anything parallel to your truck will look more narrow toward the rear of the truck. I used to forget this, and back up, what appeared to be, perfectly straight. Of course, I was way off. Unless there's nothing around to gauge how straight I am, I rarely have to adjust. (and this is coming from someone with little depth perception)

Falconlady13

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I started out driving for Caliber with a 53ft.trailer and its amazing how often my front end could nearly meet my backend while trying to back.So for peace and harmony my husband does the backing..I'm a bit better in a straight truck,but not by much.So I do all the paperwork in exchange for his backing talent.It seems to work out pretty well,now if he'd only quit making jokes about it to everyone.:-(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I practiced for our CDL road test in a rented U-Haul truck, the biggest one we could find. On a Saturday, we spent an afternoon in an empty school parking lot practicing backing and other maneuvers. Her prefered learning style was to be alone in the truck and to be left alone as she put the truck through the paces. I sat on the curb a couple hundred yards away with a walkie talkie, used only to alert her to any cars that might enter the lot. She kept at it, trying and re-trying different maneuvers until she felt confident for the test.

On the road, she can back a straight truck up to a dock as well as any driver I've seen. When we're running hard, I have been often-grateful that she has that skill. While I sleep, or at least stay in the bunk trying to sleep, she'll arrive at the delivery, dock the truck, deploy the landing gear (if needed) unload the freight (or load it at a pick up), get the bill of lading signed, send in the proof of delivery, and then go fuel the truck and find a place to park.

While I can understand and respect some womens' desire to not back a truck or drive in big cities, I've sometimes wondered about men who insist that only they do the backing and city driving. In our case, Diane's self-taught ability and willingness to drive anywhere, anytime gives me the chance to rest up for when it's my turn to do the same.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There really is no substitute for experience - the more you do it, the easier it becomes, once you've found that focal point to guide you. You use a focal point to center yourself in your lane when going forward, right? [I keep the centerline of the hood on the right edge of the lane] only it's something you don't think about, it's just second nature. When you find a focal point for going in reverse, find a place to practice, until you feel comfortable. [I felt a lot more comfortable practicing with my codriver outside the truck, too - less distracting] Never be too cocky to get out & look if you're unsure, and last - remember that brazillions of women have done it, & you can too! :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>remember that brazillions of women have done it, & you can
>too! :)

Bra-zillions of women? Pun intended?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I have found when lining up to the dock if i can put that rectangle rubber piece on the dock to the bottom corner of my box i'll be good.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>remember that brazillions of women have done it, & you can
>too! :)

Well, if South American women can do it I'm sure North American women can also.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ever since I read the joke on the Loading Dock, about President Bush being told that several Brazilian soldiers had been killed, & he wondered how many that was, "brazillion" is a favorite word of mine, lol. It cracks me up, anyway...:7

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
I don't know about a srtaight truck,but with a tractor trailor you just chase the trailor.I know that sounds strangely simple but it works.My ex spent years trying to teach me to back the trailor into the garage.This usually ended in us not talking to each other for a few days.Then the neighbor came over and told me to just chase the trailor.Now I wouldn't be afraid to back around a street corner with cars parked on both sides.

To start you just pick a spot on the pavement in front of the dock.Pull forward untill the rear trailor tire is sitting on that spot.Back up cutting the wheel hard in the opposite direction.Then just chase the front of the trailor.Once you get the back of the truck even with the front of the trailor pull forward as far as possible to insure you are straight and that there is nothing behind you.Then back in, again just chase the trailor.Hope that helps.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am glad that we drive a straight truck!! I could never back one of those into a spot at a truck stop. That does take skill. I have been using the advice many have given here and am glad to say I have gotten better at the backing. Usually hit the dock first shot. Thanks for all the help.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few years back I was helping some friends bail hay. When it was time to back the wagon into the barn I jumped on the tractor. After being laughed at for about 5 minutes I turned it over to one of the actual farmers. My 15 years of T/T experience meant squat.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have been using the advice many have given
>here and am glad to say I have gotten better at the backing.
> Usually hit the dock first shot. Thanks for all the help.

Congratulations! That HAS to feel good.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I worked LTL I often picked up at major hair care products plant. They had about 10 shipping docks inside the building. On occasion I would be dispatched with a set of doubles. Upon arrival I would break the set and spot each trailer in a dock. Usually side by side. One day after the lead trailer was loaded I hooked it to the rear trailer that was still waiting to get loaded. When hooked the tractor and part of the lead trailer stuck out the door of the dock. It appeared to have been backed in. While loading the rear trailer a big rigger came by to show his appreciation for my backing skills. He was serious. He thought I had backed the set in. Of course I thanked him and said "years of practice."

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We did get the opportunity to watch a guy with a set of double back them several hundred feet in between two trucks so he would not have to walk to far to the restaurant. Both Bob and I watched in awe as he did it. If we hadn't have seen him do it we would not have believed it. He told us that is all he has ever pulled and in his spare time he would just practice and practice with them. Sure is fun to watch people that are good at backing!!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Why back in? We have a lift gate so we pull in nose first and get an up charge for lift gate and pallet jack unload.