Backing into Docks

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
I admit that I let the husband do the backing while I do all the paperwork/his logs too ....thank god I am not the only one!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I agree with you on Thank God I am not the only one. I can only admire women and men that do this solo. With both of us watching we end up going the wrong way or missing a customer. When we get into a bind and have to back out we have another person watching for us. When we have just had enough we can take a break and let the other take over for awhile. The solo's have to be the strongest people I know. I have gotten a lot better about backing into areas after this post, and I do all the paperwork also. The one thing I still do not do is fuel the darn truck and still do not strap down our cargo. I will help with the cargo but Bob knows exactly how he likes everything positioned so am a helper, folder of blankets, and a gofer. If we have a costomer that is interfering a little bit I also become the distractor so Bob can get the job done.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Team driving is a relationship, whether personal, business, or both. In any relationship, whatever suits you both is the right way to do it. ;)

michdpm

Seasoned Expediter
Best Ckr

Try to keep your head and eyes moving to watch out for the dangers, but remember it's like shooting a gun keep your eyes on the "site".

If you are trying to back up to a dock either aim for the yellow line, the dock bumper, or anything else.

But remember there are 2 mirrors, aim for the same thing on both sides.

But the best thing is what works for you. Drivers with 30 years have trouble from time to time.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
>I admit that I let the husband do the backing while I do all
>the paperwork/his logs too ....thank god I am not the only
>one!

Be careful, DOT frowns heavily on that. Logs are a legal document to be completed by signer of that log.
As far as the backing, I do much better in a straight truck than I did in a tractor/trailer. Sometimes that dang trailer had a mind of it's own LOL

Great advice given in this thread!! :)