Automatic Tire Chains

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
We saw these on a Fed Ex truck at the Expo this past weekend and thought they were the coolest thing...

Does anyone else have them? What are some opinions on them.
We heard good things from the team that owned it. We would like some more insight before we purchase them...

Thanks

Team Samuels

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
While in Canada a few months back, we spoke to a team that had them on their truck and loved them!! They'd had no problems at all.

guido4475

Not a Member
While they are a great idea, and I have seen many school buses with them as well, check with your carriers insurance co. to see if they insure you in case of an accident while chained up.Some do not,Such as my carriers insurance co, claiming it is a preventable accident when chains are on a truck.Just a thought.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
JMHO,but unless you do alot of running in the western states where chains are required the expense of these units is not justified.

Consider also that in Washington state that even with this system installed,you will still need a second set of chains with you to be compliant with state law.

We have only been in a situation where we have needed to chain up less than 5 times in 7 yrs. and to this day we have not done the chaining.

I am of the opinion of if it's bad enough to require chains,then it's probably not a good idea to be on the roads in the first place.

Better to just wait it out until the road condition improve and it is safe to proceed.

guido4475

Not a Member
If anyone is interested, I have a set of new chains forsale, 11r24.5,a pair of singles and a pair of doubles. spider-bungees included, brand new, never opened up yet.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is one web site for the chains: Insta-Chain, the Automatic Ice Chain | Instachain Insta Chain

We looked into having the chains installed on our truck and due to our lift axle none of the automatic chain systems would work. There were a few trucks out in the parking lot at the Expo that have these chains installed and are thrilled with them.

I believe the chains would help you get out of an ice dock. One of the uses we have heard for these chains was to be able to use them when the chain laws are in affect to get into a safe area to park

cruzer

Not a Member
I have had automatic chains for years and there great!!!

If the weather gets so bad I need them,they automatically hang there on the truck frame while I automatically go to bed.:D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We chose to not install automatic tire chains on our truck simply because the need is rare. In six years of driving straight trucks nationwide and year-'round, we have never had to chain up. I know there are a number of expediters out there that swear by them but I simply cannot justify the cost. Of course, one winter of chaining up a few times may change my mind.

On the negative side, we once got a load that another truck had to forfiet because of automatic tire chains. The pickup was at a location where trucks were inspected before being allowed in. The inspection area included a below-ground bay similar to the oil change bays you see at truck stops and Speedco.

The automatic tire chains hang low on the truck. In this case, they were too low to clear the lip in the bay and the driver failed to notice that in time. I don't know exactly how the damage cascaded from the lip to the chain devices to the truck, but it was sufficient to disable the truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with Phil on this one. :eek:
We carry them, but haven't used them in the last several years.
If the waether is that bad, we go to something else.
Too much risk out west of them closing the road down and getting stuck waiting.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
While I agree parking is preferable to chaining up a little patch of ice on an untreated customer's lot can make automatic chains a Godsend . They'd also be nice to have if black ice was unexpectedly encountered . They could probably get you to a nearby offramp where you'd be much safer .

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ice in the parking lot can be challenging; however,I used to carry cans of window de-icer and I used it on the drive side and under the tires. It gives you just enough momentum to get out and it's inexpensive.
I used them with my van and have never tried this with a staight truck but I guess it would only take a couple of extra cans.

Big Al
Branson MO
Retired Navy

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had to chain one time in Oregon. I had never done them so I joined a large group of guys and found someone willing to instruct. He did the first one while I watched and then I did the second while he watched. It took quite a while to get done. All the while the clock is ticking on the load. About 6-8 miles later at the other side of the pass the chains came off. It took about half as long as putting them on and I did that alone. It amounted to at least an hour total of pretty much wasted time. I could easily have crossed without chains.

I got almost stuck in a slope down dock one time because of ice. I had no chains and nothing else. I would like the automatic chains for the just in case factor as well as the few miles mandated that might come up. Two seconds pressing a button exponentially beats a half hour or more on the cold ground. I'm not going to keep going and run for untold miles if it's that bad but I don't want all that cold work to get a few miles to safety or to cross the one pass that's a few miles long and the only possible place to need chains on a 400-500 mile run.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I will never buy the Automatic chain ,
for the same rezone i will not install a landing gear switch .
i did not become a trucker to get fatso !!!
how lazy can you get ?
would you like to super size it ?

also , you must ask the sellsman , to practically demonstrate that they work in a really slow speed (they don't)
and that they can reach the out side of the outside tire (they can't)and at what speed .

there is a match better product in the market now , only for duel tire .
it is like a disk , mounted between the rims , make installation very EZ , very very EZ , and on the cheap side.,
seen it at MATS last year.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I seen them, ok seen enough. I rate them about the same as Id rate a super single.

When it gets realy bad not worth didly.

But then again what does a farm boy know compared to a buch of city slickers.

Steve dont even say word Im haven fun with this ok. ROTFLMAO