"Atlas Shrugged"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The problem is that the book encompasses a lot of little things in it while the movie has to be less than 4 hours long. In order to cover the book, the movie is said to be like 9 hours long.

Something that Ayn Rand said about making movies out of her books, in order to tell any story Hollywood has to have artistic license to change it and that takes it into a different direction - which I understood happened in the 40's with either the Fountainhead or another movie.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The problem is that the book encompasses a lot of little things in it while the movie has to be less than 4 hours long. In order to cover the book, the movie is said to be like 9 hours long.

Something that Ayn Rand said about making movies out of her books, in order to tell any story Hollywood has to have artistic license to change it and that takes it into a different direction - which I understood happened in the 40's with either the Fountainhead or another movie.

The same could be said of any movie that is made from the book...the book is almost always said to be "better" than the movie, well of course, the book has the luxury of detail.

The movie is supposed to be shown in three parts.....might be interesting.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I agree many books are transformed when movies are made but this isn't a book where they can do that simply without losing a lot of the books' core. I think what I'm trying to say is the essence of the book will be lost in translation from the printed word to the big screen.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That book scared me to death when I realized when the book was written and where we are today.

Have you read Fountain Head by Ayn Rand?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The book has been in my truck for a few yrs...I pick it up and start to read it and as with Linda, when i think about when the book was written and where we are today, I just put it back behind the seat.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Who Me?

Of course. I read most of what she has written that I could find. The Detroit Public Library used to have a great collection of her stuff (first editions and her RD stuff), and many others things along the same line by writers like Huxley but alas, it got tossed with the garbage when they cleaned out the stacks 10 years ago.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I joined "Audible", I selected "Atlas Shrugged" as my first free book. It's 54 hours long. I've listened to it twice now. In another few months I'll listen to it again. It's ageless.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
That book scared me to death when I realized when the book was written and where we are today.

This is my first read from Miss Rand, have some of her others on my kindle but haven't gotten to them yet.

Have you looked at some of her interviews on youtube? Some interesting stuff there too, I watched one with Phil Donahue....I think I'll go back and take a look at those again.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I joined "Audible", I selected "Atlas Shrugged" as my first free book. It's 54 hours long. I've listened to it twice now. In another few months I'll listen to it again. It's ageless.

Thanks, Chet - I'm going to put that on my Audible Wishlist, so I don't forget to order it.
I read both 'Atlas Shrugged' and 'The Founbtainhead' many years ago, and I guess I didn't 'get it', now I want to read [or hear] them both again.
Well, maybe - the world is scary enough already - do I want to be even more worried? :confused:

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Scott Brick narrates both "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead". He is excellent. I always enjoy any book he narrates.

I recently purchased the Audible version of "We the Living". I'll get to that soon if I stay as busy as I have been since the middle of March. No time to read books right now but plenty of time to listen.