AT&T is how I spell FAIL!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Okay - I'm just about at the end of my rope with AT&T. At least a third of my calls are dropped...if I can make a call at all.

Who meets your cell phone needs?

Thanks!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've had Sprint for about 5 years now, and have had good results with them. The only dropped calls I have a problem with is when going down the road, and changing from one cell tower to another.

Dale

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Verizon by way of Alltel. I'm very pleased. From time to time, but not often, I drop one changing towers. Last night I was on the phone for an hour and 15 minutes between Houston and San Anton. Not so much as a hiccup. The guy I was talking to is also with Verizon.

I should add that I don't have a fancy phone, just a Krazer. I hear that the AT&T thing is worse if you have an I-Phone.

Last edited:

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I Have Verizon, I Got mad at them about a Month ago so I Dropped them and went with AT&T..That Lasted 6 Days because there are a lot of Dead Zones and Dropped Calls so I Went Back to Verizon....I Believe that I am Going to Stay with them for a Long Time Now that we got the Over Billing Problem Taken Care of! You Just Have to Watch Their Billing Close or they will Get you!

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I used to have SPRINT but I had waaaay too many dropped calls & other problems with them so I changed to SPRINT and have been really happy ever since. I hardly ever have any dropped calls anymore and I get better coverage than I ever did with SPRINT.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have Sprint, AT & T, and Verizon and I really believe that the AT&T has the worst service of them all. Verizon and Sprint really seem to be about the same. I have a Sprint Aircard and I have been really happy with it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
could it be that euro centric gsm chip they use to be compatible with their international customer base?

i have one spot where i have a drop. it is when i cross the cheddar curtain on 94 going into ill.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an iphone and don't have much trouble with it. I turn 3g off to conserve power unless I'm going to do email or something that can benefit from it. I'm told it doesn't benefit phone calls and in some cases makes it more likely to drop calls. I think that's true because initially I left it in 3g all the time and dropped calls now and then and also ran out of battery much sooner. I also have tmobile and do pretty well with it as well.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Okay - I'm just about at the end of my rope with AT&T. At least a third of my calls are dropped...if I can make a call at all.

Who meets your cell phone needs?

Thanks!

How did you you go from love to hate? Has this problem gotten worse, or are you just finally fed up? Are you doing more traveling and just noticing the problem when away from the home area?
Have you seen the new Application for reporting service failures?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have Verizon and Nextel(Sprint). The Nextel is better then it was years ago, but not as good as Verizon. There are still plenty of deadzones. While Verizon is not perfect it is better then most. Also if you have the iphone, check out the new Droid or HTC Droid, since they are similiar to the iphone.
Droid has real keyboard and a virtual one, HTC only has virtual(more like an iphone)

Kazper1008

Seasoned Expediter
Been with Sprint for over 10 years have 2 phones and 1 air card I love em the service is great I wont be leaving any time soon plan on getting a HTC touch pro 2 in the next few months.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I am with Sprint because I get a huge discount. I drop a few calls once in a while, but I can live with that.

I just read some info on straighttalk.com, $45 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data, and no contracts. They use the Verizon network, so coverage should be good.

Just a question for you Verizon people. How is your coverage on I65 in Kentucky from Franklin to Louisville? The map on StraightTalk.com shows no coverage there.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just a question for you Verizon people. How is your coverage on I65 in Kentucky from Franklin to Louisville? The map on StraightTalk.com shows no coverage there.
The map is correct, sort of. There is coverage there, but it really sux if you are moving, because you're being handed off from tower-to-tower like every 10 miles, and it's a different provider's tower every time.

If you go here (Verizon Coverage Locator) and then click "Enhanced Services" (after zooming in to Kentucky, of course), you'll see that big chunk in the middle of the state where none of the towers belong to Verizon. Clicking "Broadband and Vcast" also provides an interesting look. It's a mishmash collection of hillbilly cell providers. 5, 6 years ago, there was no agreements at all between providers and Verizon, and thus zero coverage at all there. But if you are stationary, you'll get coverage in the vast majority of that area of Kentucky.

Here's an interesting page, as well.
Cellular Maps.com-3G Coverage Comparison:AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular & Verizon

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Western Michigan and central Indiana is bad for Verizon for me....right down the US 31 corridor.
Can you hear me now?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What!?!

AT&T sucks?

You don't say.

OK so you now have the "Drop calls in Major Markets" feature, glad we have a new member to the club.

Now you may understand why I said that Apple and AT&T's marketing of the iPhone is WRONG, Apple should be forced to sell unlocked phones as everyone else should too. There is no real reason why the iPhone can't work with other carriers if they are using the same technology (cell tech that is).

Isn't technology wonderful, the expensive all inclusive super hightech fancy do everything iPhone is only as good as my $50 5 years old nokia, when you can't make a call, you can't make a call! :p