Asian Carp

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout,
I do see how it will effect me, but I don't buy into the fear mongering that has been used on every issue that has been environmentally centered.

There is a positive and a negative side to this, but to me there are two simple solutions, one is to close the canal completely and the other is to help build a small cottage industry to fish and market them. Both of those involve priorities and these priorities on this issue seem not as important to the masses then say health care or climate change. Our congress, which represents us, falls for a pseudo-science of global warming but fails to consider the impact on what one type of fish will do to millions of people? I would say yes. You and I both know that no one wants to confront Levin or Stabenow on this issue while more important things are on the forefront, and because they do actually care a lot for the state, they will get reelected and reelected based on the work they have done for the state - which doesn't include jobs or the negative impact that this fish will have on all of us. Instead Levin for example has pushed through an amendment to solve the Great Washington District of Columbia Taxi Cab Crisis because he claims he lives there - and the people who elected him fall for it as something he has done right.

If there was a time for everyone directly effected by this fish to come together and actually send a message to congress and Obama it is now but they won't - will they? Want to join me in helping this out?

The other possible solution is to use the billions of dollars that we give to universities and other institutions of higher learning to demand they find a solution to decrease, if not kill off the population of that fish without effecting others - instead of studying the mating habits of the college freshman.

If you want to believe that we can destroy our ecosystem, then man made global warming is also a fact but the truth is we can only do so much damage and destroy only so much because nature seems to have a way to equalize things out when left alone. Much like the idea that we must restore specific fish to specific rivers and streams, it seems a little futile when it doesn't matter what fish live in the river.

Or better yet when an area is devastated by a natural disaster, like Mt St Helens erupting, the eco system came back pretty well and after these non-professional people who were not the biologist and the botanist said to the public "leave it all alone and watch what happens" the biologists and the botanist were screaming that we must do something to save the area, save the wild life and to save man. But to their surprise there was life after the massive flow of lava killed everything in its path as the people said there would be.

I agree we must preserve things, but not for our children, that is too selfish. We must do it because it is the right thing to do. We must first follow the need to preserve and protect our ability to decide what's right for things we own, not be told to do it.

Do you know if there is a licensing requirement by the Illinois for this fish to fish them?

By the way when I was over that way, I had some of it - if it is prepared right, it's pretty good eats.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You will be affected by the lose of tax revenue to the State when the sport fishing industry dies off. You will be affected when the cost of cleaning our drinking water increases as this new carp in the lakes kills of vegetation that is not able to withstand this new invasive species.

I do not panic over every thing that comes down the pike. The so-called science on global warming is a joke. This is not. I know too many of those involved in this, they are good people, normal people who do this for a living. They have no political axe to grind. The solution to this will not alter our lifestyle or put anyone out of work. It will not restrict your or my freedoms.

You are correct, we need to do it because it is the right thing to do. I only mentioned kids and grandkids because that is the time frame when the worst of the problem will start to show.

As to our polititicians ever doing what is right, forget it. They are only worried about votes. The bulk of the votes come from the cities. Generally speaking city people care nothing about anything that does not affect them today. They don't understand or care anything that goes on outside the city limits. So our useless elected bums will do nothing.

The worst part of it is that this would have not cost the general tax payer one red cent. It was slated to be paid for with Pittman/Robinson and the other similar tax on fishing tackle money. It would not affected the deficit in any way and would have provided real work or real people. Again, only the sportsman covering the cost of true conservation work. Non-sportsmen do not even come close to paying their fair share of the cost of real conservation work.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Ohio is getting in on the fight.

Ohio asks Supreme Court to study Asian carp threat

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review steps taken to stop Asian carp from invading the Great Lakes.

Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray asked the court Wednesday to examine measures taken by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the state of Illinois to stop the spread of the fish.

Cordray asked the court to reopen an earlier case examining the legality of several man-made canals and waterways connecting Lake Michigan with the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers.

Cordray says the carp present a substantial threat to the Great Lakes because they could crowd out native fish species and impair area fisheries.

Michigan on Monday asked the high court to sever the century-old connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River system to prevent the carp from invading the lakes.

Ohio asks Supreme Court to study Asian carp threat | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you OHIO!!! Let's keep up the pressure. There is no natural waterway connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River. That mistake needs to be corrected.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Isn't the influence of mankind upon nature somewhat detrimental to nature,,just a thought..PS Your dealing with greed and so on and so on...IN 1966 Pensacola fl, at Gulf Breeze had a beautiful piece of land on the sound side. It is now covered with 3 and 4 story so called beach houses and now u feel like ur riding thru a tunnel just to get to the beaches and park. I can only imagine Chicago's mess, I don't like it there and only pass thru it when I have a load...............

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mankind has a mixed record. He is the only species on the planet that can both destroy or improve his environment. All other species can only destroy. We have done good and we have done bad. This problem is simple and a no brainer. The threat is real, the fix is easy and cheap. Just do it!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"He is the only species on the planet that can both destroy or improve his environment."

Ah ... try beavers.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Minnesota’s attorney general join law suite.

Minnesota: Keep Asian carp out of Great Lakes

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Minnesota’s attorney general is backing the effort to keep Asian carp out of the Great Lakes, saying they threaten her state’s commercial and recreational fishing industries.

Lori Swanson filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court today supporting Michigan’s request for an injunction to close a Chicago canal that connects Lake Michigan with the Mississippi River basin. The high court is expected to consider it Jan. 8.

Voracious bighead and silver carp from Asia have been migrating up the Mississippi and Illinois rivers and may be within six miles of Lake Michigan.

Swanson notes that Minnesota has 140 miles of Lake Superior shoreline. She says that if Asian carp invade the Great Lakes, they’ll gain access to the rivers and tributaries that feed Lake Superior, as well as inland waters.

Minnesota: Keep Asian carp out of Great Lakes | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Indiana has joined in also.

Indiana joins lawsuit to keep Asian carp from lake :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State

December 31, 2009
SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE
Indiana's attorney general will support Michigan's efforts to keep Asian carp from getting into Lake Michigan through Illinois waterways, the Post-Tribune is reporting.

The attorney general's office announced Wednesday that Greg Zoeller will file a friend-of-the-court brief in the U.S. Supreme Court siding with Michigan in its lawsuit against Illinois and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

More at the link....

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Michigan governor calls for White House summit on Asian carp
ASSOCIATED PRESS

LANSING, Mich. — The Democratic governors of Michigan and Wisconsin are calling on the White House to hold a summit on what to do about the threat of Asian carp entering the Great Lakes.

Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm said Tuesday that she and Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle are calling for an "immediate" summit at the White House with the Great Lakes governors to hammer out a solution.

The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Earlier in the day, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to order the immediate closure of shipping locks near Chicago to stop the carp from entering the lakes.

Michigan had asked the court for a preliminary injunction to close the locks temporarily while a long-term solution was being hammered out.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
a-holes!! way to go bush supreme court. obviously the farther away the problem is from home the less important it is. until the alaskan salmon range is threatened or the maryland crabs its not their problem. hope they are enjoying their caviar.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Nice,
So whats next?
The fish extend thier range.. We spend Millions and waste months or years studying the fish..
And then just maybe then we dump 50$ worth of dirt to plug the canals....

I did read in one of Detroit papers that said the canals where still in use,,or thats I took from the article??????

greg334

Veteran Expediter
a-holes!! way to go bush supreme court. obviously the farther away the problem is from home the less important it is. until the alaskan salmon range is threatened or the maryland crabs its not their problem. hope they are enjoying their caviar.

Nah ... it may take an act of congress to do something ... oh that's right they are staying up late to pass health care crap and seem not to care about this issue.

Hey won't it be nice to have carp instead of trout or lake huron salmon?

I can see those who keep voting Levin and Dingle and all the career people back into office complaining when it happens. Who will they have to blame then? I wish these idiots get smart before it really is too late.

Oh and this is the mentality we have, we have a new company relocating some manufacturing into the state from China (they got a great deal on taxes, land and even a building over Ohio) which amounts to a little over 2000 jobs. When this was announced, the reporter said sarcastically with these great deals for these amount of jobs being 'created', if we had a company a month hire 2000 people it will take 36 years to get back to our 1999 level of employment.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Feds: Don't panic over carp
DNA found in lakes; Granholm calls for White House summit

The Army Corps of Engineers announced new DNA findings Tuesday that show Asian carp, a voracious fish that many experts fear could wreck the food chain in the Great Lakes, may already be in Lake Michigan.

DNA tests show the presence of carp at the breakwater of Calumet Harbor in Illinois, beyond the nearest lock. The breakwater leads to the open waters of Lake Michigan.

The announcement came just hours after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected Michigan's plea to shut down the locks leading to the lake.

Federal officials suggested the DNA could have come from ballast water carried by barges from carp-infested rivers downstream.

"We do not believe that's plausible," said Lindsay Chadderton, one of four members of the University of Notre Dame who developed the DNA test and have done all the sampling and analysis for the Army Corps of Engineers.

The DNA testing indicates carp were there within 48 hours of when the sample was collected Dec. 8, he said

"It is an early warning that an undetermined number of Asian carp have likely entered Lake Michigan," he said.

Federal officials tried Tuesday to downplay DNA results and said they are doing everything possible to prevent a larger carp invasion.

"We don't know where the fish are," said Maj. Gen. John Peabody, commander of the Great Lakes and Ohio River district of the Army Corps of Engineers, which ordered the DNA testing. "The DNA shows us where they may be."

Asked how many live carp would have to be found before federal agencies would change their current plans on dealing with the invasive species, Charles Wooley, deputy regional director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said several hundred.

"We would have to be talking about a couple hundred fish that would start to indicate that reproduction could occur," he said.

Peabody said federal agencies in charge of the canal and locks around Lake Michigan plan netting and electrofishing in areas with positive DNA results.

He said that the DNA testing methodology is new and has not been scientifically validated.

Feds: Don't panic over carp | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
We can't keep Mexicans from crossing the Rio Grande and you think we're going to keep fish from getting into the Great Lakes??? Pull the other one! Besides, depending on what part of Asia they are from, we probably owe them money!!!

Last edited: