Asian Carp

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if it is edable or not. Most large oily fish in our rivers carry large amount of contaminates are are considered unsafe to eat. Carp over a certain size in Michigan are not recomended for eating over a certain size. Neither are catfish.

There is no way they can compare to walleye or perch or any of the other species that they may very well displace if they get into the lakes.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Okay - is this fish edible? If so - how does it stack up against North America fish?

Think Greg may have posted a receipe early on in this thread:D
Actually I think he stated they are eaten overseas,,
My opion,I dont think any carp would stand up to our pan fish here in North America,but the ppl that eat em may differ.
But I think the biggest issue here the damage they will do,,once in the big water they could move into all the smaller streams and lakes in the same manner they got here..

Layout aint nothing wrong with our catfish,,,tasty when they are small..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was not speaking of taste. Take a look at the DNR fish warnings on contaminates. If you believe all this cancer scare stuff, fish like catfish, carp, trout and salmon can carry high levels of PCB's, mercury and other nasties. The more oily the fish the more they retain. The larger the fish the greater level of contamination. Removing the belly fat when cleaning can remove a large portion of the crud.

I am not saying that I believe or don't believe how bad some of these fish can be. I don't get to eat enough to worry about it anyway. What I am saying is that there is a very good chance that they would not be cleared for use as a food source by either the DNR or the FDA.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have posted the link to the Michigan DNR Fish Advisory booklet. It is a very sobering read. Even if some of the dangers are overstated that very fact that what should be a good, safe, food source has been contaminated to such a degree. Mankind should be ashamed. Many people, myself included, have used this source in times of need to help control costs. That is doubly true today. There is just no excuse.

This entire thread is proof that we don't learn. This carp is just another problem that may be added to what should be a resource to be proud of.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents
/FishAdvisory03_67354_7.pdf

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
High court denies Michigan Asian carp relief

CHICAGO — The barge and tug industry is hailing a Supreme Court decision to turn down Michigan’s second request to close Chicago-area shipping locks to prevent Asian carp from infesting the Great Lakes.

American Waterway Operators spokeswoman Lynn Muench says she hopes today’s ruling ends all legal action and leads the different interest groups to work more closely to stop the invasive fish.

Asian carp have been migrating toward the Great Lakes, swarming waterways leading to Lake Michigan.

Scientists fear they could endanger the $7 billion fish industry if they reach the lakes. But waterway operators say closing the locks would disrupt vital transportation routes and devastate their industry.

Justices turned down Michigan’s original request in January.