as the belt tightens

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many great ideas, have been presented on EO, on how to keep our costs down and save money.
Air tabs, super single tires, driving slower, eating more meals prepared on the truck, and other ideas have been presented
to help us survive in these tough times.
All good ideas to consider to see if they are right for you.

Speaking of cooking on the truck, now that we got thru another winter, aint nothing like a bug splattering:eek: on the windshield to let you know summer is apon us, some of us may look to the great outdoors for preparing the daily feast.:)

Yes, what I am talking about is BBQ. That all American fav.
I like my ribs and chicken and burgers and an occassional
hot dog to come off the grill.

Well, here is an article you may find of interest if you too enjoy the taste of charcoal cooked foods.
Bon appetit !!!!

Grilling time!

As every Southerner knows, its almost time to get ready for that all-important cooking technique of the south --- outdoor grilling!
I have just found out there are many stores (not just in the South) where you can get a FREE Bar-B-Q grill! In these tough times free useful items are very welcome. You can get a free BBQ grill from any of the following stores:

A&P
Albertsons
Costco
Dan's
Food Lion
Fry's
Home Depot
Big Lots
Brookshire's
Lowes
Publix
Safeway
Sam's Club
Tesco
Target
Vons
Trader Joe's
Wal-Mart
Winn-Dixie

attachment.php

I especially like the higher rack -- which can be used for keeping things warm!
Just make sure to get a metal one... The plastic ones don't do so well.

Ya'll enjoy now!

Attachments

• free grill1.JPG
    free grill1.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have a rack of baby back ribs that were smoked with apple wood, with a dry rub and finished in a vinegar base sauce, cut and vacuum sealed in the frig right now...........:D

oh and 6 country style beef ribs slow cooked and sauced also are vac sealed... and ready to heat and eat.......:D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
:mad: grrrrr! Yeah, thanks a lot! A week late. Just went and bought a grill last week! hee hee hee! That's me, always a dollar short or a day late. :D

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
OK...I realize that I'm a little out of it today but did I miss something? How do you get a free BBQ grill? Do you just walk into one of those stores & say "May I please have a free BBQ grill?" I have a team in TX that would run to get a free grill for themselves in a heartbeat. They just got done calling me a bit ago to say that they had a hankering for BBQ and had no grill.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I always wondered why truckers don't separate the grill from the hood , so it will fold down half way ,and there you have it - a real truckers grill ...

Moose.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
OK...I realize that I'm a little out of it today but did I miss something? How do you get a free BBQ grill? Do you just walk into one of those stores & say "May I please have a free BBQ grill?" I have a team in TX that would run to get a free grill for themselves in a heartbeat. They just got done calling me a bit ago to say that they had a hankering for BBQ and had no grill.

Well now Wingnut, don't know about free but I just went to Walmart last week and bought me a real nice little grill for 20 bucks, even has two cooking levels and fits right in the side pocket for those days when we have time for grilling. Bought me a couple little bags of charcoal that ya just put the whole bag in the grill and light it. Only 3.57 a bag. Makes it real simple. Got a freezer full of chicken and hamburger too. Sorry don't do the pork thing and steaks are just to expensive so gonna have to have hamburgers and chicken but I can live with that. :D

Tip, when ya grill out make a lot of extra for during the week when u'r running. Makes for some good eatin on the run. ;)

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHUSH................................................

Nobody tell him how.
It'll be our little secret.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of cooking on the truck, now that we got thru another winter, aint nothing like a bug splattering:eek: on the windshield to let you know summer is apon us, some of us may look to the great outdoors for preparing the daily feast.

Now it was going to sound like how to prepare splattered bugs 1001 ways....

Just a warning to some, don't be like the pumpkin driving couple who went out bought the little grill, a bag of charcoal, nice steaks to grill and started grilling them on the deck of the tractor. All went well until it started to drizzle and they thought it would be better if they brought the little grill inside the truck to finish the steaks. I have never seen people throw stuff out the windows as fast as they did with the truck sleeper on fire, the truck went up with nothing left but a mess of aluminum and stinking plastic - I have pictures somewhere, I will post them when I find them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Great and helpful post. Whats better than trucking and barbecuing. Outside that is:D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Can even go a step further and forget the BBQ cost..

Can't eat pork,
Swine flu...

Can't eat chicken,
Bird flu.

Can't eat Beef,
Mad cow....

Can't eat eggs,
Salmonella.

Can't eat fish,
heavy metal poisons in their waters.

Can't eat fruits and veggies,
insecticides and herbicides.

Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that leaves Chocolate and ice cream!!!!!!!!
Remember - - - 'STRESSED' spelled backwards is 'DESSERTS'

(Note: This piece was not authored by the poster, but received in a silly email)

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many great ideas, have been presented on EO, on how to keep our costs down and save money.
Air tabs, super single tires, driving slower, eating more meals prepared on the truck, and other ideas have been presented
to help us survive in these tough times.
All good ideas to consider to see if they are right for you.

Speaking of cooking on the truck, now that we got thru another winter, aint nothing like a bug splattering:eek: on the windshield to let you know summer is apon us, some of us may look to the great outdoors for preparing the daily feast.

Yes, what I am talking about is BBQ. That all American fav.
I like my ribs and chicken and burgers and an occassional
hot dog to come off the grill.

Well, here is an article you may find of interest if you too enjoy the taste of charcoal cooked foods.
Bon appetit !!!!

Grilling time!

As every Southerner knows, its almost time to get ready for that all-important cooking technique of the south --- outdoor grilling!
I have just found out there are many stores (not just in the South) where you can get a FREE Bar-B-Q grill! In these tough times free useful items are very welcome. You can get a free BBQ grill from any of the following stores:

A&P
Albertsons
Costco
Dan's
Food Lion
Fry's
Home Depot
Big Lots
Brookshire's
Lowes
Publix
Safeway
Sam's Club
Tesco
Target
Vons
Trader Joe's
Wal-Mart
Winn-Dixie

attachment.php

I especially like the higher rack -- which can be used for keeping things warm!
Just make sure to get a metal one... The plastic ones don't do so well.

Ya'll enjoy now!

Something happened to the picture of the free grill:eek:

Never fear I got it back:D

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
dabluzman1: What a great picture!!! I've seen alot of different styles of grills in my day but this one wins hands down! This would make the perfect red neck grill. :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This post makes a lot more sense with the picture! That is just great and I agree the top rack would be very handy. I am thinking of having Bob build a small rack on the back of the truck for our new "free" grill and when one wears out we will just "ask" for another one.

guido4475

Not a Member
I wonder if that free grill comes with a reese hitch option.I'd love to pull it behind my van. As far as the bugs are concerned, squirt about 4 squirts of dishwashing soap such as joy or dawn into your windshild washer reservoir along with prestone bug wash or rain-x windshield fluid and you would be amazed at how well it works.Vinegar works well also, but it stinks.Reminds me of coloring easter eggs...gross smell!!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
If you are going to use your hitch then why not weld an attachment that fits in the hitch receiver. You'll get more miles on the grill, and you can just back the grill over the fire when it's dinner time.

eb