anyone ask what load is paying, 1st?

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Being from Fedex, was used to seeing what load paid when offered. Based on what i was told st averages, i didn't ask, my 1st 3 loads. And they were ok rates. But just accepted a load, and it pays just over $1.00 pm, fsc included. I can't run the truck to often at that rate. So I'm going to ask what the load pays, from now on.

In fairness, I've been waiting for load to home, and maybe dispatch thought TN was close, but del point in TN is only 1 hour closer than where I'm sitting right now in Florence KY. I wouldn't question the rate at all, if it were getting me within a hour or 2 of home, but I'm looking at this as just another load.

Oh, well, live and learn.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I learned also. Doesn't happen all the time and I do have a deep trust for dispatch, but when it come to money I only trust the wife. I always ask or better yet just let them know what it needs to pay when they call. If you base it on all miles make sure you tell them loaded and empty. Since doing so dispatch has been great about it. Hopefully by now and I do think so, if they need or know there is no way they can get it they will let me know up front. So far for the most part that has been the case. We don't care about take a low one but I don't like finding out after the fact. They have been pretty good about it since we started handling it this way.

Wild Child

Seasoned Expediter
Up until this past week I never asked and had told all my drivers not to worry about it. I never had a reason to be concerned as all loads were paying great rates and FSC. I had complete faith and trust in our team upstairs.

That got shot right in the a#* whille in Laredo. My driver did not ask, as instructed, and accepted the load as dispatched. He was to deadhead to McAllen and pick up a 1400 miler to a small town on the outskirts of Evansville Indiana. He was very pleased as he was only empty 4 hours.

When I looked it up on Fleet Vision I almost choked at the numbers. Some fool booked this load for a very crappy 38 cents per mile. When the FSC was added it came up to a whopping 60 cpm all in. The individual that booked this and conned my driver into taking this load should be ran out of the building and sent to work for some of the carriers that do this as a regular practice. Of course this dispatcher was quick enough to pull his 30% off the top. It was later corrected to pay us 100% which gave it the all in price of $975. Total miles almost 1600 miles. Beware.....he still works for them upstairs!

Since that load, we have run 3 other loads paying in the 80 to 90 cpm range. This type of deception will never happen to any of my drivers again! I am requiring them to know ALL the conditions of the load before agreeing to anything. **** the turn down policy, if it pays that pitiful of a rate then I would rather have my truck on the bottom of the list!

I hate to be the one to say it...but I think the Load 1 honeymoon is over!

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Up until this past week I never asked and had told all my drivers not to worry about it. I never had a reason to be concerned as all loads were paying great rates and FSC. I had complete faith and trust in our team upstairs.

That got shot right in the a#* whille in Laredo. My driver did not ask, as instructed, and accepted the load as dispatched. He was to deadhead to McAllen and pick up a 1400 miler to a small town on the outskirts of Evansville Indiana. He was very pleased as he was only empty 4 hours.

When I looked it up on Fleet Vision I almost choked at the numbers. Some fool booked this load for a very crappy 38 cents per mile. When the FSC was added it came up to a whopping 60 cpm all in. The individual that booked this and conned my driver into taking this load should be ran out of the building and sent to work for some of the carriers that do this as a regular practice. Of course this dispatcher was quick enough to pull his 30% off the top. It was later corrected to pay us 100% which gave it the all in price of $975. Total miles almost 1600 miles. Beware.....he still works for them upstairs!

Since that load, we have run 3 other loads paying in the 80 to 90 cpm range. This type of deception will never happen to any of my drivers again! I am requiring them to know ALL the conditions of the load before agreeing to anything. **** the turn down policy, if it pays that pitiful of a rate then I would rather have my truck on the bottom of the list!

You're way out of line. While asking for the rate is a solid business practice, calling it deception is not. At no time have I ever felt I was being deceived by any dispatcher in almost two years with Load 1.

Mistakes happen and it looks like the load you are referring to was corrected as much as possible by giving you 100% of the revenue. I can't think of any other carrier that would do that.

In any case, if you think the "honeymoon" is over get a "divorce", and before you call someone a fool on a public forum, look in a mirror.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

I don't really know what agent your talking about but rest assured if you had called John Elliott instead of posting this on EO, John would have made this right. When I was an agent for Load1 before I had to stop for personal reasons. I never seen Load1 take a load like this as your saying, not saying that it didn't happen. I couldn't even send a truck to the east coast unless it paid over 2.25 plus FSC for a D-unit.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
In a 2 week span now 2 people have been suggested too leave because of posting a negative experience if they don't like it, leave, but yet when they posted a positive experience, no merit badge was awarded.

Folks from the outside that read this forum should get to read the bad as well as the good.

That said, those of us that have posted a lot of positive here has been a big boost to recruiting over the last year.

Based on the emails, pms and phone calls that I have gotten, there will be people taking that advice. I know of 1 team that is already gone.

So my suggestion is when someone posts their displeasure or frustration is to help them thru it instead of showing them the door.

After all, isn't that what "family" members do for each other.
If your 100% satisfied 100% of the time, great. Good for you, but your the 1st person that should be extending your hand instead of opening the door and kicking them out in a public forum.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
In a 2 week span now 2 people have been suggested too leave because of posting a negative experience if they don't like it, leave, but yet when they posted a positive experience, no merit badge was awarded.

Folks from the outside that read this forum should get to read the bad as well as the good.

That said, those of us that have posted a lot of positive here has been a big boost to recruiting over the last year.

Based on the emails, pms and phone calls that I have gotten, there will be people taking that advice. I know of 1 team that is already gone.

So my suggestion is when someone posts their displeasure or frustration is to help them thru it instead of showing them the door.

After all, isn't that what "family" members do for each other.
If your 100% satisfied 100% of the time, great. Good for you, but your the 1st person that should be extending your hand instead of opening the door and kicking them out in a public forum.

I have no objection to a negative post and I have seen plenty of "likes" attached to positive posts. No one is 100% satisfied 100% of the time either.

However, I do object to the name calling and the inference of deception. Nor do I wish anyone to leave. You know me better than that.

Jenny said it best in her blog that no carrier is right for everyone. Times are tough and John posted in another thread promising to do everything he could to keep us moving. First time I saw something like that in six years in this business.

If one of my family started calling another names and was disrespectful I would say something. It's no different here.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Fully agree with Steve. I didn't post my question to start people being negative, I was only wondering if others do it.

Crapshooter's post is is a legitimate complaint, regarding the pay per mile issue, but the way he told it leaves much to be desired.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're way out of line. While asking for the rate is a solid business practice, calling it deception is not. At no time have I ever felt I was being deceived by any dispatcher in almost two years with Load 1.
Just because you have never felt you were deceived, doesn't mean you weren't deceived, much less mean that others haven't been deceived. If I recount the deceptions I've experienced at Load 1 would you call me way out of line, too, simply because you haven't experienced them?

I'm currently in pay rate limbo over a recovery I did the other night. I was told, "I'll have to get with (the dispatcher who booked the load) and work out the money, but we'll make it worth your while." It may work out great, but because of previous deceptions, failed promises, and what certainly appears to be telling me what I want to hear in lieu of the full and unfettered, up-front and honest truth, I'm not optimistic, quite frankly. But there's always hope.

Loyal and protective is one thing, but, "In any case, if you think the "honeymoon" is over get a "divorce", and before you call someone a fool on a public forum, look in a mirror," is a clear indication of the wearing of rose colored glasses in front of a mirror. You say you don't wish anyone to leave, yet you just stated in no uncertain terms: Load 1 - love it or leave it!

If owner/operators and drivers are conditioned to accept loads a face value without knowing the rate, as outlined in the post above, because that rate always ends up being good (or at least acceptable), and then a dispatcher knowingly sends out a reduced rate load without informing the driver of the lower rate, knowing full well that it will be accepted at face value, it's a deception of a high order. One doesn't have to experience such happenings to know that that stinks.

I would be happy to relate my experiences so far, both very good and very bad, if anyone likes, but it won't be as pretty as the recruiting posters. It will, however, be honest.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Just because you have never felt you were deceived, doesn't mean you weren't deceived, much less mean that others haven't been deceived. If I recount the deceptions I've experienced at Load 1 would you call me way out of line, too, simply because you haven't experienced them?

I'm currently in pay rate limbo over a recovery I did the other night. I was told, "I'll have to get with (the dispatcher who booked the load) and work out the money, but we'll make it worth your while." It may work out great, but because of previous deceptions, failed promises, and what certainly appears to be telling me what I want to hear in lieu of the full and unfettered, up-front and honest truth, I'm not optimistic, quite frankly. But there's always hope.

Loyal and protective is one thing, but, "In any case, if you think the "honeymoon" is over get a "divorce", and before you call someone a fool on a public forum, look in a mirror," is a clear indication of the wearing of rose colored glasses in front of a mirror. You say you don't wish anyone to leave, yet you just stated in no uncertain terms: Load 1 - love it or leave it!

If owner/operators and drivers are conditioned to accept loads a face value without knowing the rate, as outlined in the post above, because that rate always ends up being good (or at least acceptable), and then a dispatcher knowingly sends out a reduced rate load without informing the driver of the lower rate, knowing full well that it will be accepted at face value, it's a deception of a high order. One doesn't have to experience such happenings to know that that stinks.

I would be happy to relate my experiences so far, both very good and very bad, if anyone likes, but it won't be as pretty as the recruiting posters. It will, however, be honest.

Rose colored glasses??? I don't think so!! I've been here almost two years longer than you and my lenses are clear. Love or leave it is not what I meant. If you're not happy with a carrier and you can't rectify the situation to you're own satisfaction, move on. It's not a new concept, and I assume that was at least one of the reasons you moved to Load 1.

I didn't object to Crapshooter being upset about the load rate, I objected to his other comments. He obviously contacted Load 1 about it and they rectified the situation as much as they could. In my experience with other carriers, they would have simply said you accepted the load and that's it.

If you feel deceived, find out if you were. Contact Mike Bayko. If you're not satisfied with his answer, go to Mike Johnson, Sr. if still not satisfied, go directly to John. I have never been deceived about a rate. I don't always ask because some of the loads are repeats for me and I know approximately what the rate is. If I don't, I ask. If I don't like the rate and can't negotiate it up, I turn it down. I know of no dispatcher that will deceive a driver on purpose. I would imagine if that were happening on a regular basis, that dispatcher wouldn't be around long.

Nothing and no one is perfect. Mistakes happen. I do know that if I have a problem, and I have, I can discuss it with the management of Load 1 to rectify it.

If you're not satisfied with the rate for your recovery load, go up the management chain of command and see what happens.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I haven't posted any negative experiences - not because I haven't had any, but because when I did, I brought it to the attention of dispatch, and it got taken care of, so there's nothing to complain about.
If they didn't fix it, it's because they couldn't [NLM] and I understand that.
There's value in pointing out issues, but only when they can be solved - and it's usually better to wait until the immediate anger is past [don't ask how I know that, lol].
Fixing things is how we get better - but there's a right way and a wrong way, and I, for one, want to do it the right way, because that should be the Load 1 way.

guido4475

Not a Member
When I first started here, it was different, not always knowing what I was getting paid on a load.But Ken told me in the beginning, to trust them.So that, I did.And I still, and always will.I am sure they do everything to get us the best rates on a load.They dont :censoredsign: us out, like some other companies do.Yes, we may sit awile longer than others, but our rates speak for themselves,and because of this, we, or I, work less for the same amount of money that others do.Last month I averaged .95cpm for all miles, empty and loaded.Average pay for all loaded miles was right at $1.25.With these kind of numbers, in a van, why not trust them? My all mile pay is more than most carriers pay per loaded mile.So, with all that in mind, when a load comes across with no load pay information, I dont worry too much.Sure, it would be nice, but it all works out in the end of each and every month.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Give this thread another day ir 2, then lock it...those that feel the need to vent, should have that opportunity, those of us that see the positives have spoken and will continue in that vane...no reason to draw this out...the bulk of the contractors are in the Load 1 corner...thats what matters....

Carry on, and good night to you all.....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Give this thread another day ir 2, then lock it...those that feel the need to vent, should have that opportunity, those of us that see the positives have spoken and will continue in that vane...no reason to draw this out...the bulk of the contractors are in the Load 1 corner...thats what matters....

Carry on, and good night to you all.....:)

It'll be sad day in Load 1 history when I or Turtle has to lock a thread in our own forum....We are all better then that...:D

Admittedly I edited one of Daves/Guidos posts last night as he came late to the party and his comments would have re lit the flame....I asked him to send his message by PM....

I type this explanation in keeping with Load 1's policy of transparency and honesty...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Its not about "locking it" because it has gone south...it was more of, "its all been said"...I think even those that are disillusioned right now agree that John is Top Shelf and really if he had been aware of the issues, he would have done everything to work it out...yea issues come up, it given the chance, John or Admin will work to get to the root of the issue...we might not always like or agree with the out come, but you have to respect the efforts to get answers....and thats whats really important....

LOL, I guess it hasn't all been said....carry on "McDuff"...:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing this thread (and a few other recent threads) has done, finally, is give those outside looking in a more honest and bigger picture of Load 1. Some have said we should never air our dirty laundry in public. Well, that's dishonest. The same cheerleaders here would absolutely not accept such tactics from a recruiter, yet they are doing just that in a recruiting guise here on EO, whether they realize it or not. If only pristine laundry is presented to those who may be considering moving to Load 1, if the only information they get is from cheerleaders at the pep rallies, then they come to Load 1 with inaccurate and unrealistic expectations. For example, on rates, when someone (I won't mention any names, Dennis:D) posts the fantastic rates they get for this or that load, but fail to mention (or dramatically play down) low rates, they present a highly skewed picture of Load 1, they (again, no names, but... Dennis:D) are performing an unfair disservice to others who might be interested in our carrier.

All carriers have warts. To pretend Load 1 doesn't have them is disingenuous. It is true, absolutely, that Load 1 has far fewer warts than most, and they are generally located in places that don't matter much. Plus, Doc Elliot is fast and furious with the wart remover (which is an important point).

Guido's post in #12 above is spot-on honest and presents a highly accurate picture of our carrier. Our dispatchers indeed do not :censoredsign: us out, which, despite the unseemly imagery, is a far more important statement than many people may realize. Most carriers do just that, :censoredsign: their contractors out, use them as tools to perform the task of making money for the carrier, and everything else is secondary. Not so at Load 1, where the entire philosophy is turned on its head.

For most carriers, it's first and foremost about the health and success of the carrier, at the expense of the fleet (a van or truck on every corner ring a bell?). At Load 1, it's about the health and success of the fleet, often at the expense of the carrier, which in-turn ensures long-term success for Load 1. If the fleet isn't healthy, nothing else matters, as those on the road and in the office are just spinning their wheels going nowhere. If the fleet is healthy, turnover is lower, service is higher, and Sales has a better product to present to customers. Many carriers provide mere lip service for teamwork and partnership, but at Load 1 teamwork and partnership is the critical key to their, and our, success.

Now back to the important point about Doc Elliot and his famous Wart Remover Cream (lovely mental image, that one). When people with a skewed picture and unrealistic expectations come to Load 1, and they encounter warts and other issues, their first reaction is, "Here we go again, same ol', same ol'," and they get defensive or combative and jump to conclusions and make assumptions. They think the mistakes and misunderstandings are routine, that they aren't mistakes or misunderstandings at all, and that all things are done solely to benefit the carrier at the expense of the contractor, that's just the way it is, because that's been their experience in the past. They don't question it or address it, because their experience has taught them it's a waste of time to do so. But all you have to do is make ol' Doc aware of the problem, and he'll slap some cream right on it. It's really that easy.

He can't fix everything, but he's honest about that, too. Load 1 isn't perfect, despite the cheerleader's earnest efforts to portray it as such. Load 1 is comprised chiefly of people, and people aren't perfect. But unlike many carriers who operate under the principle of "Do unto others before they do unto you," Load 1's operating philosophy (de facto, whether they've ever stated it or not) is "Do under others as you would have others do unto you." Once you know that going in, the warts don't seem nearly as ugly as most. It also, unfortunately, makes it easier to dismiss the warts, or pretend they don't exist, when informing others about Load 1.

Because Load 1 really is so different than most and is a good carrier to be associated with, a natural tendency for some is to not only become defensive about it when people point out warts, real or imagined, but to actually become combative over it. That smacks of snooty and snotty. Don't do that.

I'm very happy at Load 1. I'm not delusional happy, so I won't try and delude others about it, but I'm happy. Very happy. Well, uhm, to be honest, I ordered half a dozen Load 1 shirts a few weeks ago, and they're not in yet, so I'm a little unhappy about that. But other than that, I'm very happy.

A very wise man once said, "we might not always like or agree with the out come, but you have to respect the efforts to get answers....and thats whats really important...."

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
There is still a proper way of resolving conflict, and most of it is conducted in private. Go through internal channels first. Save going public for last after the proper channels have had a chance to do what they do. There is no problem with talking about problems in public which is where we get to learn from each others mistakes. There is a problem when the issue is presented in venomous and accusational tones. Especially problematic when all the proper channels haven't had a chance to address the problem.

It's one thing to present an issue. It's another thing to spit and spew it. To use a wart removal analogy--there is a right and wrong way to remove a wart.

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
LOL, slap twice and then call me a wise man...LOL...ok, i can live with that...:D
The Turtle giveth, and the Turtle taketh away. :D

I figured, since I was gonna bookend my post with your wisdom, it was best to show the depth and breadth of that wisdom, in order to present a more accurate picture. :D

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
careful there turtle being so nice, dennis' cake will rise and then who knows he might wax your shell. LOL!!! both of you are rite on....

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MR. & MRS. CHEF

Last edited: