Any interest in an activist drivers group?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I just watched the latest episode of IRT...a driver from Montana...gets an inspection at scale....he is asked...When was the last time you checked your flares and triangles?.....his answer: oh about 2 weeks ago...LOL....all he had to do is say when I started my shift....DOH....Violation...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You see thats the Gotcha crap they pull. You do a proper inspection, make sure everything is there and it works. Ill strip out the cab clean everything and give everything a real good going over dumping out the triangles, making sure the extra fuses, light bulbs etc. are properly stocked and things like that like that. Consideering I run the same truck every day, Im the only one who drives it, and if I use somthing I replace it I consider those questions that aren't maintenance or safety related insignificant and at times insulting.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You see thats the Gotcha crap they pull. You do a proper inspection, make sure everything is there and it works. Ill strip out the cab clean everything and give everything a real good going over dumping out the triangles, making sure the extra fuses, light bulbs etc. are properly stocked and things like that like that. Consideering I run the same truck every day, Im the only one who drives it, and if I use somthing I replace it I consider those questions that aren't maintenance or safety related insignificant and at times insulting.

I know what you are saying,,,but the rules are the rules.... it says to check every pre-trip....he should have known better then to say that....

Its like when doing a border crossing....they'll ask did you lock your truck when you went in for that coffee....well No sir....I didn't....well DOH....

Flares and triangles are not safety related?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Maybe just maybe, all this pounding by the scale guy is finally paying off....some truckers are getting it....some maybe on the edge, ticketed out the kazoo and now its at a point of comply or lose your job....

Why should the actions of the minority be a reason that all should lose their rights? Do you think we should strip the rights away of a whole group of people just because 22% are idiots?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why should the actions of the minority be a reason that all should lose their rights? Do you think we should strip the rights away of a whole group of people just because 22% are idiots?

Why just the other day I was chatting with a D.O.T. inspector who recently completed an on-line course from the AMonger School of Statistical Manipulation. She asked me the following question and before I could reply, answered it: "You know the problem with stupid truck drivers? It gives the other 5% a bad name."

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
A better way to achieve results is to file written complaints, send emails to officials, EN MASSE, If one driver was accused or found at fault over a minor infraction or a petty offense such as the Traingles answer, Of which I just faced, Write and get active with your complaints. Its why I joined OOIDA because I want a VOICE, not to be seen as a crazy old trucker etc....I write and get involved, Ive done this with Newspapers around the country who write derogatory articles, and attempt to slander our reputations. I take great pride in this job and being safe, and I will face down ANY news reporter with FACT, Being an activist is a must today or there going to shove more and more regulations, and laws, unless we do express our voice as ONE.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

unfortunately the DOT doesn't know who the 22% are....so the good ones are judged by the minority....one bad apple will spoil the whole barrel...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure triangles are safety related If you dont at least look to see if the box is there and theyre not O.K. you deserve a ticket. I prefer to call it the stupid tax.

We all have had simple routien questions twisted to gotcha questions so no matter how you answer it, you will be in the wrong. What time did you start, where did you start, where are you going, when and where are you taking your break, where and what time are you shutting down today? As we all know those questions can get you easily nailed for logbooks especialy if you are just starting out that day. You cant say gee, I started at 6 AM, Its 7 AM Im planning on doing local work but I might have to go OTR later not sure untill my phone rings, Im only an hour into my day I will take a break when I get a chance later because now I am behind, and depending on how many more people waste my time making me wait I might just squeeze it in then, if I dont get lucky enough to miss traffic I might be done and go off duty somewhere betwene 2pm and 8 pm I might sleep at home, I might sleep in a parking lot of a deserted gas station in an out of town ghetto, I might not even be able to leave town not to mention get anywhere near my destination.

Its the gotcha game thats my point.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive noticed recently on the DOT testing they do for new DL and such they have many more GOTCHA questions, there all the right answer but it depends on where, or what your doing....I studied more then the first time I got my license and I have a CDL B with all endorsements, I just updated to Hazmat and Tanker with Airbrakes , But taking the tests and Skills tests the instructor threw quite a few Gotchas at me. One was about the Triangles and were they REALLY in the box....since I was using a rented truck to qualify in she wanted to see them and then told me that quite often the rental companies dont put them in there due to they get stolen etc....or they leave them out on purpose !!!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
unfortunately the DOT doesn't know who the 22% are....so the good ones are judged by the minority....one bad apple will spoil the whole barrel...

If the DOT/LEO inspects a truck that is clean, with paperwork in good order, and a driver who is organized and courteous, and the result is a single violation on some nitpicky questionable trivial thing, that says they are looking for violations, and not for safe drivers & vehicles.
I have had an inspector tell me "If I don't find anything, my boss thinks I'm not doing my job."
And that STILL boggles my mind!
To answer the original question, tactics like refusing to cooperate are not going to help anyone - it makes it look as if we object to being inspected, and I certainly don't. I do object to the attitude that we are guilty of something, and the inspector just needs to find it. It only breeds disrespect for what ought to be a common objective.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
The whole roadside/scale house inspection scenario seems like an adversarial procedure designed for win/lose, not improving highway safety.

jimmy

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Judging a group of people based on the minority is one thing but it isn't right to stop, detain, question, and search without reason just to see if you might be able to find something wrong, that is why our forefathers established our rights. What do you feel justifies that type of behavior?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Maybe one of u guys could ride with or stay along side a DOT guy for a day of inspections as an observer and listen to truckers complain and see things from the side of a DOT guy, its just a thought, like the undercover boss shows .

Our maybe the DOT guy could sit with me while I read the Bill of Rights aloud.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder who dot will listen to, his boss or some driver ranting about their right? My money is on the boss.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Wonder who dot will listen to, his boss or some driver ranting about their right? My money is on the boss.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

I'm sure you're right. But that doesn't make it right, gnome sayin'?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
we have a group already it called ooida
so join and they do take of things

paullud

Veteran Expediter
we have a group already it called ooida
so join and they do take of things

The drivers don't do anything though, they just sit back and say OOIDA will take care of it for me. I want to see more drivers active in demanding rights and working to fix the industry, OOIDA just sues and then loses the case in court because they have a lack of funds and members. As stated previously I am a member of OOIDA already and that wouldn't change.