Any interest in an activist drivers group?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
By evidence in the soapbox....people will talk it to death....

That is a sure sign of us being defeated, people that just want to complain and be negative but are to lazy or have no hope for the future.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Here's a couple time-tested tactics:

Rolling roadblocks. Take up all lanes and drive just fast enough that you don't run afoul of minimum speed laws. This'll save you a shekel or two at the pumps also.

Obey HOS to the nanosecond. If you're out of hours, pull over immediately. This may take a little planning; for instance, Landstar folks will need to find a parking lot :)

Feel free to add to this :D

I worry that the rolling roadblocks just make civilians mad, running 100% legal is one of the other ideas I was thinking of. Having drivers of companies that make up the ATA log all loading and unloading time and spend an hour a day doing a pretrip would be great.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Due to some of the conversations in some other threads I was wondering if people would be interested in a driver's organization that is based more on actions or reactions by members of the group.

Many drivers are acting now by leaving the industry, at least if you believe what the big carriers are saying.

Have you noticed that the big carriers that outfit their trucks with these wonderful new EOBR's are the same ones complaining about a driver shortage? They talk about how older drivers are leaving and younger ones are not coming in to take their place. Perhaps the regulatory regime and the collective attitude of the compliance community has become so burdensome that not enough people want to play any more. Perhaps the actions and reactions you are seeing now consist of these drivers and prospective drivers voting with their feet and walking away from the industry.

It is sometimes suggested (and often suggested by some) that if you don't like what is going on at a particular carrier or in the industry itself, leave. If what the big carriers are saying is true, it seems many are doing exactly that.

That would be Diane's and my response. Before rising to join a more militant trucker organization like you envision, we would keep our record clean, avoid being charged with this or that, and simply walk away into different careers.

We're a good team of professional and safe drivers. Many such teams are being lost to the industry because they are simply walking away. Who is replacing them? Not many that stay, it seems, if the turnover rates are any indication, and not enough, it seems, if what the big carriers say about drive shortage is true.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No new drivers coming into the industry.
I've heard this many times this week. As silly as it sounds is a small part of the problem TV.
The last twenty years has had no truck driving heroes to influance kids.
No CANNONBALL. No SONNY PRUITT. No BJ and the BEAR.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
No new drivers coming into the industry.
I've heard this many times this week. As silly as it sounds is a small part of the problem TV.
The last twenty years has had no truck driving heroes to influance kids.
No CANNONBALL. No SONNY PRUITT. No BJ and the BEAR.

"I'd love to help you, Missy, and go put a beating on the banker who is bullying you, but if I go out of route, the Qualcomm will pick it up and I'll be in trouble with dispatch."

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That would be Diane's and my response. Before rising to join a more militant trucker organization like you envision, we would keep our record clean, avoid being charged with this or that, and simply walk away into different careers.

I never said I envision a militant organization, it seems your reading into it to much. I would like to see an organization that protests in a legal manner and involve people from outside the industry. It would also involve educating the general public about what is going on, getting more drivers involved in programs like Trucker Buddy, or stopping to help change a flat tire. The whole idea of just leaving because you don't like something only hurts us, it is the same attitude that allows the government to dig in further. You can only run for so long, especially when they are already in the process of extending the reach of the FMCSA.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"I'd love to help you, Missy, and go put a beating on the banker who is bullying you, but if I go out of route, the Qualcomm will pick it up and I'll be in trouble with dispatch."
I don't think Sonny and Will would have done well with a QualComm.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cannonball.Broderick Crawford. 860 GMC ? My father had a GMC like that when I was in grammar school.
Monty would remember if it was an 860.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for World Revolution here are some activist, but I think many of them dont work, well not yet anyway. so, lets all quit, run for them thar hills, circle the wagons, load the muskets, trim the wicks, secure all water tight hatches, dive dive, down bubble 3 degrees, level off at 200ft, open out doors torpedo tubes 3 and 6, engine room all stop, secure for silent running, bong bong bong, bogies 25 miles, and so on. Anyone got coffee.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Phil! I just watched the episode in the YouTube link. I remember the show's opening footage and song but don't recall the characters. I didn't search for the ending to this episode but assume the cops got the bad guys and Mike and Jerry went on to haul another load. Great to hear an old Detroit V winding up and there was even a minor character at the diner, a trucker named Moose.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I dont remember this show at all, but during the early days of television you could only get about 3 channels and usually one of them was too fuzzy and distorted to get much out of it.

Does anyone know what years this show was on?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The show was in the late 50's and early 60's. Broedrick Crawford was not in it. He was in Highway Patrol.