Any info on A. Blair Enterprises

zack100

Active Expediter
Looking to drive for o/o sign with them.Does anyone have any good info about this company?Thanks

A good idea is to go to the "search" function on this website and type in Blair or A. Blair, view the results and you'll find it's been a subject addressed. As I recall, the one thread contains the name of an OE member who drives for Blair. I believe you'll find his name is Chris.

From what I know ........ companies based in Louisville and they've been around awhile. Common knowledge says they've recently added 10 Company Sprinters ........ which probably says the "company drivers" will get first dibs.

Other than that ....... probably best to read the other comments.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Well don't even waste your time with this company!They got a real bad attitude over there.I was contacted by a o/o who was looking for a co-driver,so make a long story short,he told me to contact A BLair so they can run my MVR criminal background etc,well when I called them today to get a update,a guy with a very bad attitude says he got my MVR report and said "We don't hire drivers only the fleet owners do.talk to the fleet owner not us!"and said this very nasty and then hang up the phone on me!Very unprofessional and rude!I'm a former business owner never spoke to anyone like that!So heck with these people i'm not going to drive for them if that's how they treat there employees!No wounder they can't get drivers or fleet owners,they threat people like crap!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
b
Looking to drive for o/o sign with them.Does anyone have any good info about this company?Thanks

I talked to a Blair driver in Laredo several weeks ago. He is paid 62cpm is what he said. If he is paying for his fuel, I dont know. If that includes fsc, I dont know. He did say he runs 3k to 4k a week and sleeps when he can. He appeared well rested, was motivated IMO by his attitudes and speech. Not much help here I know. IMO with rumors and such on Blair, you might want to shop other companies. Dont get in a hurry, there are other companies to sign with out here.

If any company promises u lots of miles, dont believe them. It does not work that way out here. Many things out here are learned the hard way. I'm a graduate of hard knocks and many in here have been there too. U will find out soon enough, just take this lifestyle like u find it and roll with the learning curve and read all u can in here on newbie data in the Search Section. :D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Well armin, you are not their employee, you are the o/o's employee. Actually you are a contractor to the o/o and not an employee. Your phone call should have been to the o/o and not Blair. Blair pays the o/o who pays you. this applies to ANY company in this situation.

Call the o/o to check this out if you want. Maybe he has the MVR report.

Reviewing your history just told me a lot. Back in Jan you said younwere thinking of becoming an o/o and putting someone in the van because you would not be approved and said "I'm not going into detail".

Then earlier you posted you were ticketed at 15 over in your personal vehicle. You have been thru fed ex, panther and Blair so far.

Still earlier you balked at being paid 60/65% and doing fuel. Your responses were outrage but that is the way the biz works. Never once did you say how much you "should" receive.

You have been here since 2009 august and that is long enough to understand what this is about. Now the s/t and the companies have CSA 2010 to work within. your 4 points count against their fleet records.

this business just is not for you.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well armin, you are not their employee, you are the o/o's employee. Actually you are a contractor to the o/o and not an employee. Your phone call should have been to the o/o and not Blair. Blair pays the o/o who pays you. this applies to ANY company in this situation.

"I was contacted by a o/o who was looking for a co-driver,so make a long story short,he told me to contact A BLair so they can run my MVR criminal background etc"

Apparently, he already talked to the o/o, who told him to contact A Blair for the background check. You don't talk to the o/o about that stuff; and the company isn't supposed to give that info to an o/o... only to the driver.

Armin's experience doesn't surprise me. The owner, I hear, is somewhat anal himself.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
then how do you account for blairs response of "call the o/o"? they can tell the owner yes or no but do not have to give details beyond....bad mvr.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I suppose they can tell the o/o yeah or nay. Ahh... I didn't see the "get an update" part. Crappy attitude is still not needed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't believe Steve aka EO member No Problem is there any more. May want to shoot a PM to Chetjester as he drives a van there.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Reviewing your history just told me a lot. Back in Jan you said younwere thinking of becoming an o/o and putting someone in the van because you would not be approved and said "I'm not going into detail".

Then earlier you posted you were ticketed at 15 over in your personal vehicle. You have been thru fed ex, panther and Blair so far.

Still earlier you balked at being paid 60/65% and doing fuel. Your responses were outrage but that is the way the biz works. Never once did you say how much you "should" receive.

You have been here since 2009 august and that is long enough to understand what this is about. Now the s/t and the companies have CSA 2010 to work within. your 4 points count against their fleet records.

this business just is not for you.

Blair prolly is not for ANY of the posters on this thread that made contact with them.....like me, they actually expect the contractor to move the freight put on their plate. So, they are not for the folks that wanna rv, vacation, etc. Lotsa freight there, and, they need it moved.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As Monk says, here's the thing.

Why would .62 per mile and you pay fuel, be any worse than 60% of an average of $1.00 a mile most fleet van owners pay?

Seems to me.....62 a mile, nice Sprinters, AND they keep you rollin? Dont sound bad to me. Fuel less than .20 a mile, leaves .42 a mile in your pocket if you dont idle a lot.

Run 500-1000 miles like many companies, not so hot.... but.... the Blair drivers Ive seen seem to be well over 2k. Hmmmm. Yep, that would suck.

Gotta put it in perspective.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You can't make money at 62 cents per mile. If you run 3k miles at .62 cents per mile and spend 800 on fuel like I would in my van, you'd make 1060 dollars after fuel. I can run 1500 miles at 90 cents per mile and spend 400 on fuel and have a net profit of 950 dollars after fuel. The Blair driver would drive approximately 1500 more miles than me to make an extra 160 dollars. That's a bad business decision. The only way this arrangement would work over what i've got going now is if the miles never ever stopped, and that guy was pulling 4k mile weeks when i'm running under 1k. At any rate, you'd kill your van in about 3 years tops running like that lol. Good luck.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You can't make money at 62 cents per mile. If you run 3k miles at .62 cents per mile and spend 800 on fuel like I would in my van, you'd make 1060 dollars after fuel. I can run 1500 miles at 90 cents per mile and spend 400 on fuel and have a net profit of 950 dollars after fuel. The Blair driver would drive approximately 1500 more miles than me to make an extra 160 dollars. That's a bad business decision. The only way this arrangement would work over what i've got going now is if the miles never ever stopped, and that guy was pulling 4k mile weeks when i'm running under 1k. At any rate, you'd kill your van in about 3 years tops running like that lol. Good luck.

Bad business decision, 1500 miles for $160. You mean drive less and make more. :D

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Guys,

Its my understanding these are company vans, and fleet owners that pay that rate..... not the rate to owner ops.

By my reckoning, .42 a mile profit.....

Dale

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You might be wrong Dreamer. I believe their owner ops make 65 cpm in a van or sprinter. The company guys make 42 cents per mile and pay for fuel out of that. Anyone who knows different please feel free to correct me.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well that would not be so hot lol

Dale

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I talked to them last week for about 5 seconds and yes it is .65 as the o/o and you pay the fuel.bottom feeders

coppertone

Active Expediter
As Monk says, here's the thing.

Why would .62 per mile and you pay fuel, be any worse than 60% of an average of $1.00 a mile most fleet van owners pay?

Seems to me.....62 a mile, nice Sprinters, AND they keep you rollin? Dont sound bad to me. Fuel less than .20 a mile, leaves .42 a mile in your pocket if you dont idle a lot.

Run 500-1000 miles like many companies, not so hot.... but.... the Blair drivers Ive seen seem to be well over 2k. Hmmmm. Yep, that would suck.

Gotta put it in perspective.

Dale

What I would like to know is how is A.Blair getting so many miles for their sprinters and S/T's while the rest of the vans and trucks are wondering where the next load is coming from at times? Just curious how they stay so busy.

zack100

Active Expediter
A. Blair has come up in multiple threads over the last few months. Use the EO search function and type in A. Blair or Blair. One of their company drivers is on EO once in awhile so ya might send a PM to chetjester.

Regarding an answer to your question I cut and pasted a portion of one of his posts (dated 1-11-2009 which was located by using the search function - it works !!).
1-11-2009
chetjester

Re: A.Blair Enterprises

A. Blair has diversified from handling strictly NLMI. Although that has been the main part of our freight, they have been smart enough to branch out from there.

B. Blair works with most O/O's. But just like everything else, if you want to work hard, there will be more loads for you. If you require dispatching at 40 mph, then don't expect a lot of opportunities.

Last edited:

gus42

Active Expediter
I recently worked with A. Blair as an O/O and I figured out that they do not care about their drivers or their equipment. They are only interested in themselves. The reason I say this when I was working with them I spent more time down than what I hauled. I asked them to help me at least with money for food while I was sitting, they said that they are not a bank to loan money even though I had money coming to me so they let me sit for 4 days with out any help. Thanks to my fellow OTR Drivers that where there to help me.
One time my truck broke down while under a load. Instead of helping me the owner of the company said to me "It's not about the truck or the driver it is about the freight and the money!!" He did not care about the truck or the driver.
They lie all the time just to get you in the door. They said they were a christian based company and they have proved that they are not. They get you loads, once you deliver your load and they get paid they don't care about anything else. You could end up sitting like I did in Denver, Co. for 3 weeks and no way to get home. My family had to send me $700 so that I can get diesel in my truck to get home because A. Blair told me that if I didn't like it ,find any means necessary for me to get home or to run as far as I can with what I had. These people have no heart I do not recommend them to any one. I have been out here since 1998 as an OTR Driver and I have never seen a company that would not help the people that are hauling for them. So think about what I have said I am a driver like any other driver looking for the right company. But I found out the hard way that this was not the one.

P.S. I guess that is what you get when you have an X-cop as the owner of the company that pretends to know what he is doing. I do believe this company needs to be shut down and the owner of this company needs to go back to New York where he came from with the rest of the riff raft that works there with him. Think really hard before working with this company. I would not lie to you like they have lied to me. Say No to A. Blair
God Bless all you Drivers and have a Bless Day. :mad: