Anti-Freeze Disappearing

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
We have a 2006 M2 Freightliner, C-9 Cat engine. In the past 2 weeks we discovered it is using alot of anti-freeze. It's not leaking out on the ground....anyone have an idea where it would be going? Anyone had this problem? PLEASE HELP!!

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
We had that problem in our 2005 Columbia Freightliner..turned out to be bad EGR. It was also brand new so under warranty.

-charlotte

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check your oil and see if it is showing up in it. I had a problem like your talking about. It took us quite awhile to find it. There was fluid leaking from a loose hose clamp. It only leaked when the truck was shut down and cooling off. It did not leak every time we shut down either. We found it almost by accident. Tighten all your clamps and check your oil. It could also be engine seals leaking. They can leak slow enough to evaporate before you can see the leak. Hard to find without using dye and lights. I have had all these things happen to different trucks over the years. Good luck, Layoutshooter.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
How low is low? Try not adding more into it as you could be just running the overflow right out and thus this is where it it should be. It is not suppost to be right to the very top or else it will exit the overflow.

Watch your Temp guage close especially while climbing hills.

Just last week Speedco topped mine right to the very top. When I parked after driving an hour, you got it coolant (about four cups) under the truck AFTER I SHUT IT DOWN. Its just overflow and nothing to be worried about. Now a gallon or half gallon thats a problem.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You could be losing it while driving, like I am. If it's not showing on the ground or in your oil(shows up as a foam on the dipstick), I bet that's where it's going.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
Coolant is always filled to the full line on the tank. It is using it while we are driving. Speedco topped it off on March 19th and we have since put a gallon in. When we are driving and rounding curves we notice the check engine light and the engine shut down light comes on. As we get get out of the curves they go off. This is when we need to add coolant...as it is low. During the trip from Missouri to WA state back to NC is when the gallon was added.

No antifreeze residue found anwhere under the hood or frame.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In 1980 the U.S. Army at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin had the same problem. Anti-freeze from trucks and jeeps was disappearing. The missing anti-freeze coincided with the death of several Cuban detainees from the Mariel Boat Lift. These Marielitos were apparently making and drinking lime daquaris.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't think this is dumb but check the expansion tank, cap and the lines for leakage.

I had a problem with a leaky tank (now fixed) and a bad cap. The cap would make the pressure go well over 27 psi (should be 15psi)and this ruptured the tank seem, you could not tell until you idled it for a while and it built up pressure. It dripped on to the very edge of the fender.

I tested the cap and it was stuck closed, no pressure vent.

And no I do not have a head gasket leak, that was thoughly checked for when I came out of service.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have a C9 as well in one of our trucks. I would pressure test the cooling system. That will eliminate a large percentage of issues, from a cracked expansion tank, to a leaking head gasket.
If that checks out, then have them test the oil and fuel for contaminants. If anti-freeze is mixing into your fuel, it could be a cracked injector tube. Not a crisis, but it could be a whole lot of things until you perform those basic tests.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

eastcoast33

Seasoned Expediter
I had a 1995 peterbuilt that lost anifreeze. It was the heater coil in sleeper. lay a piece of card board down when you park it until it cools off. mine was under right side under truck. :)

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
My truck has a 2004 Mercedes Benz diesel that has a similar leak. I have learned that the antifreeze, if not changes at required intervals will eat into the cyliner sleeves causing seepage and loss that is not visible. Is this true?
Took the truck to a Freightliner dealer thinking it was simple sensor change...the sensor was good to go.

I'm intersted in all this feedback...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a new one on me. The newer anti-freezes may degrade the head gasket quicker in some applications, but I have never heard of it eating away at the cylinder sleeves. Is it possible they were refering to the injector sleeves?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's cavitation, and is the reason that you have to add coolant treatment and use the test strips to check chemical levels. My new Mercedes has the pre-treated anti-freeze and doesn't require any additional treatment. From what I've heard it's very expensive anti-freeze.

Oh, when you hear about water filters being charged or not charged, the charged filters have the treatment.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Our good friends have a 2006 M2 Freightliner, C-9 Cat engine and they just had the same type problem. Their truck would show the engine protect and even shut off a couple of times because the coolant got too low. Their problem was a hose by a shock in the engine compartment…the vibration of the engine rubbed a hole in it. It was hard to find the hose as it is wrapped.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--