Another Military travesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"And BTW, just for those who seem to be confused about the matter - the purpose of the military/armed forces is: to defend this nation"

Not the Nation, the Constitution. The oath is taken to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies both foreign AND domestic.

Domestic can mean ANYONE or ANY group that seeks to overthrow our Constitution.

NO ONE takes an oath to defend the Nation. No one takes an oath to defend the president or congress.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
LOSer, fyi: my daughter already knows how to shoot a rifle, and has the trophy to prove it. I expect her skill will be improved even more, and she'll appreciate that. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOSer, fyi: my daughter already knows how to shoot a rifle, and has the trophy to prove it. I expect her skill will be improved even more, and she'll appreciate that. :)

LOL!! I hope she shoots well,!! (now for some military humor) Learn how to shoot in the NAVY?, now THAT is FUNNY!! The Navy don't even know what end of a rifle the round comes out of!! (a lot like Obama in that respect!!)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Well Cheri, the military is there to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. They do that by killing our enemies.
In some instances yes, certainly - but they also provide a deterrent.

So you could say that, that by simply existing, the military defends the nation.

Sometimes more than mere existence is required, sometimes it's takes overt action.

The military is NOT "peacekeepers"
Not in the sense that you probably mean it .... but in another sense they certainly are: by their existence alone, they have the capacity to prevent war.

Which is not to say that corrupt men, in either the civilian or military ranks are otherwise beyond using the military for nefarious and illicit purposes ....

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Not the Nation, the Constitution. The oath is taken to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies both foreign AND domestic .....

..... NO ONE takes an oath to defend the Nation. No one takes an oath to defend the president or congress.
Omigawd ........ are you really frickin' serious ?

I suppose that you think the Constitution is ... a piece of paper .... ?

Is your understanding truly that deficient ?

Look up the definition of the word constitution (small "c") .... and then read the writings of the Founding Fathers and observe the manner in which they used the word, and how they treated it in what they said and wrote .... <shaking head>

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
So you apparently consider the UCMJ a load of crap ?
I think he was referring to your analysis Of the Commander. I won't say a load of crap but just say you're misguided on the subject.

Or is it simply that you have no idea what the word gentleman means ?
In the Military it simply means a commissioned officer. Funny thing if you are an enlisted man you can't be a gentleman.

Or maybe it's "bring discredit upon the armed forces" that's giving you trouble ...
The only discredit he is bringing is in the eye of the PC crowd.

Perhaps a course in remedial English would help .......
perhaps spanish would be a better choice based on the Dream Act.

From some of the comments here, it looks like such a thing wouldn't hurt a few others as well ...
It might be better if we could run several people thru Basic training instead, some of that sensitivity might be put in prospective.

Possibly one of the more dimwitted comments I've seen recently ... so you really figure that gay jokes and simulated masturbation is gonna win the war, do ya ? :rolleyes:
Gay jokes won't, but in the Navy some might pickup some helpful tips on that masturbation thing. Doesn't a joke about people normally insult someone, or someone's quirks?

Is that your understanding of what it takes to be a leader of men ?
What it takes is keeping your men loose and ready to fight.

Let me suggest to you - and probably just about anyone else in this forum - that those who are making the decision to discipline this guy are well above the pay grade that any of y'all attained .... and there's probably a very good reason for that .....
It's odd that in this conversation you say (imply) that they are there because they are the brightest and best leaders..... You are not naive enough to think that they got there on there ability to lead warriors..... are you?

You got any actual evidence of "decisions made by civilians" .... or are you just flappin' yer yap ?
Aren't you the one that constantly reminds us that it is the Civilians that control the Military?

Pizz off ..... she has a right to say whatever she **** well pleases .... got it ?
Yep.

I'm gonna say one as well ..... although not to Cheri - if you - any of you - have some problem with civilian control of the military please consider correcting your apparently deficient education as to why the Founding Fathers decided that this was a wise choice ...
Please see above.

What a fantastically stupid thing to say ... when one has essentially no data on which to base such a statement on, and never even met the particular individual involved, and so has no real insight into their motivation might be .... absolutely pure genius ....

Personally, I tend to view it as a rather underhanded and cowardly attack on a woman - who isn't even here to defend herself BTW - to that woman's mother ...

Not real hard to imagine why the word gentleman poses such a problem ...

Thanks anyways - but I don't have to .... and neither does anyone else really ....
Have to agree for the most part.

If there is anything that is a shame in this whole episode it is simply this: it may be the case that those who were above this cretin in the chain of command, who held far greater responsibilities, and were under far greater of a burden than Captain Dipwad, possibly took the easy route - the one that didn't require them to stand for some principles they professed a belief in, and make the tough choice to discipline one of their own.
Nope it is the fact that people are blowing it way the heII out of proporiton.

If that is true,
It ain't.
a possible consequence of that may be that Honors (oh what irony there can be in a name) will have caused, at least to some extent, the downfall of those above him - who may well have been very good men, of very high moral character.
All because of a Gay joke.

Nice job there Owen :cool:
Finally we can totally agree.

This thing isn't over yet - the investigation is still ongoing - particularly with respect to what, if any discipline, Captain Retard received at the time this was originally discovered.
Now you are calling him names, that are equal to what he did. Maybe we can get Chris Matthews to investigate, heck he is offended by just about anybody or thing.

If it turns out that he received none, expect further heads to roll ...
And that would be plain stupid.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Yeah .... pretty funny ... how the actual purpose of something can be confused, by some (even those who were apparently served) with what is, at least to some extent, the activity of it ;)

Purpose and activity are not the same thing.
potato patatoe. I'm not confused.

And BTW, just for those who seem to be confused about the matter - the purpose of the military/armed forces is: to defend this nation

In my opinion the military is to provide a deterrent, If that fails and our leaders say go, they kill people.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
In medical terminology, a cabbage isn't dead - just their brain.
Much like those who find nothing wrong with humiliating undeserving people, for no good reason, even.
Had any one who could have been hurt, upset, or offended heard me say such things, and complained, I'd have been fired. Deservedly.
Every person who works with tragedy, accidents, and death, has to cope with it somehow - gallows or black humor is a universal mechanism for that, used by police, firefighters, paramedics, doctors, etc, but NEVER when or where it could be overheard by anyone who would be [rightfully] upset.
PS Very often, the new nurses were worse than the rest, cos they had fresh jokes. ;)
I'm going to guess that you just forgot to add soldiers in that mix.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What a load of crap...............

applause-1.gif

Nope - I suspect that he was relieved for the following:

933. ART. 133. CONDUCT UNBECOMING AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
Not even close. He was relieved because the Navy had to put a politically correct face on something that never should have been made public, because the public at large would not be able to understand it (as clearly evidenced by some of the posts in this thread), and it became public.

Quote:
and this man does not appear to have the judgment to lead a pack of Cub Scouts.
And you base this opinion on your years of combat experience and how you kept the morale of your subordinates high even when they have been away from family and friends for six months????

Question for you, if memory serves me correctly you have mentioned that you were a nurse, right? If you were, then my question to you is. Did you ever say or do anything at work that a family member of someone in your care would be offended by..... anything, anywhere, at any time???
You mean kinda like this?
Keeping your mouth shut would have been a better choice - but you can't, and I can't either, and on that note, [as my favorite auntie says] suck it up, cupcake, no changes planned for 2011
So we've got an EO member telling another EO member to keep their mouth shut, and then calling them "cupcake". That's pretty rude, offending and insulting.

Of course, when taken out of context, as it is here, it sure seems that way. <snort> But in context it wasn't insulting or rude at all. See how easy it is to make a judgment about someone you know nothing about when you view something out of context?

Every person who works with tragedy, accidents, and death, has to cope with it somehow - gallows or black humor is a universal mechanism for that, used by police, firefighters, paramedics, doctors, etc, but NEVER when or where it could be overheard by anyone who would be [rightfully] upset.
Anyone who might be offended, like those not on-board ship? Nurses are allowed gallows humor to lighten things up and to cope, but people on board a warship deployed in a time of war are not? Is that how it works?

Quite simply, IMHO, to the institution he was a part of .... he harmed the institution .... he brought discredit upon it ....
Not according to those who served under him, and certainly not until the videos were made public by someone as yet unknown. As Jammin' said, "The only discredit he is bringing is in the eye of the PC crowd."

Possibly one of the more dimwitted comments I've seen recently ... so you really figure that gay jokes and simulated masturbation is gonna win the war, do ya ? :rolleyes:
Actually, it may very well do just that. If it loosens people up, lightens the mood, boosts morale, and makes them better prepared to fight mentally, rather than being wound so tight that their springs just snap under the stress, a few harmless jokes may very well go a long way towards winning the war.

Is that your understanding of what it takes to be a leader of men ?
Yes, it is.

Let me suggest to you - and probably just about anyone else in this forum - that those who are making the decision to discipline this guy are well above the pay grade that any of y'all attained .... and there's probably a very good reason for that .....
Yes, there is. Those above him have a clear understanding of political correctness and how it relates to the politically correct culture that makes up far too large a part of the citizenry.

...this cretin in the chain of command... Captain Dipwad... Captain Retard...
I guess even the best of us can slip off that moral high ground once in a while, eh?

If it turns out that he received none, expect further heads to roll ...
Oh, yes, absolutely, because it's not enough to relieve him of command due to politically correct attitudes that have no basis in reality, we also need Captain Cretin Dipward Retard's head to be on a pike, and as many others as we have room for.

Meanwhile, our enemies are sitting back plotting and licking their chops, waiting for the "feminization of the American male" to fully engulf the military.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
This thread had so much potential for serious debate. Then the screaming and bullying arrived. Such antics make real participation nearly impossible.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I think he was referring to your analysis Of the Commander.
Could very well be ... :D

I won't say a load of crap but just say you're misguided on the subject.
Sorry, but I don't think so - but you are certainly entitled to your opinion - reasonable people might disagree ;)

In the Military it simply means a commissioned officer.
No, I don't think that's quite accurate. I think it would be correct to say however that all officers should be gentlemen - which of course is a higher standard of conduct, than not being one.

Funny thing if you are an enlisted man you can't be a gentleman.
Again, I don't think that's actually true - anyone can decide to be a gentleman - all it takes is the decision and then doing so.

If you are aware of some military law, regulation, or rule which says that no one other than an officer can be a gentleman, I'd love to read of it.

FWIW ... just another man's opinion:

Officers and Gentlemen

The military is broken down to Commissioned Officers (Officers), Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs), and "The Men." "The Men" now includes women who are not Officers or NCOs.

An NCO will tell you that a Commissioned Officer is a gentleman by an act of Congress, then smile wryly. A Commissioned Officer will agree and smile smugly. The Men could care less, so long as they get paid on time and get their mail.

In my nine years of military service, I served under officers and gentlemen, but never both embodied in one person. Congress can not make a gentleman. A gentleman, like a virgin, either is or is not. A gentleman puts others before self; an officer puts the mission above all else. The two are mutually exclusive traits.

My experience has taught that lieutenants are an evenly mixed bag of both. Some lieutenants put the welfare of their men above all else with little or no regard to their careers; some think only of the mission and their careers. The latter will most assuredly rise within the system. The former make great fathers, teachers, lawyers, and pastors.

Some gentlemen make it into the field grade officer ranks of major, lieutenant colonel, and colonel. Very few make general. I can think of only one, Omar Bradley.

There is that very rare gentleman who appears to have merged both into one, combining the Patton/Bradley traits. He was General Robert E. Lee.

The Men love a gentleman; they fear or respect an officer; they will follow both into hell. They despise an officer posing as a gentleman; will not willingly follow him to a **** fight; and given the chance, will send him straight to hell. Most of the gentlemen in the military wear stripes.

As a soldier, I prefer the gentleman; as a citizen, I prefer the officer. I wish every platoon and every company were commanded by a gentleman, every division and corps, commanded by an officer. I wish the commander in chief were an officer and a gentleman.

And the guy that wrote that was the real deal .... ;)

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Still does. Didn't notice that but there were a few less than tasteful remarks. Only if you allow it to distract you.[/] Come on join the debate, I'm interested in your take on this subject

Our resident screamer has poisoned the well on this thread. No way to fix that.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, if one can't do that, a little subdued character assassination is always a good second option ;)
And sometimes it's not even all that subdued. :(

What I find very interesting, telling, and a little sad and pathetic is, we've got some extraordinarily bad things going on, like the CIA and related military Black Ops operations where innocent people as a result of mistaken identity, and others without due process who are only suspected of being terrorists, are kidnapped and taken to remote locations where they are tortured, and in a few cases have been allegedly killed, and precious few people are even mildly concerned about it, much less rightly outraged over it.

Instead, in a fit of politically correct rage, people are just rabidly frothy over irreverent humorous videos and jokes that might hurt a professional warrior's widdle feewings.

"Inappropriate" videos and jokes... versus... kidnapping, torture and murder.

Are you kiddin' me?!

<snort>

Status
Not open for further replies.