another j to watch

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, true enough, most lettuce at the salad bars is not cooked at all!! Least none that I ever ate. Although, a lot of it is limp enough that you might think it was cooked!! :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Timing...watch for the fresh stuff to come out and get it BEFORE they mix it with the old stuff...

I notice they also do that with the main buffet as well...some of that could be 5-6 hours old...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was under the impression that most of the Ecoli contamination took place either in the fields where it is grown or in the processing plants. Ecoli is found mainly in the intestional tracks of people and animals. One of the few ways it can be passed on to veggies in a buffet is if someone goes to the restroom and ...... I don't need to go on with that do I?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

kinda makes me wonder how well the health dept enforces their rules at other restaurants.

Unfortunately, they come out and do an inspection and the major stuff gets fixed for a time and then it's back to same old same old, better to not think to much about it. And as OVM pointed out the cannery's or even more scary. Anything that you buy that does not come out of your own garden has probably been handled in less then sanitary conditions, starting with the fields where migrant worker go to the bathroom in the fields:eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Even most ice machines are filthy, most places don't flush em out as required, so lots of mold and algae in there.:eek:

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
And yet we survive all this nastiness.
My prime interest is military history. Just read a book on British Submarines in WW2.
The authors' submarine has had an equipment casualty which resulted in any sort of washing, brushing teeth etc being strictly forbidden as there was only water for cooking and very little of that.
A couple days later the Exec notices that the cooks hands are shiny clean and hauls him up to the bridge where the CO (author) is. The two officers look at their own filthy hands, then at the cooks hands and tell him to explain himself. Cookie defends himself vigorously and denies the charge, but can't explain his hands either.
After a few seconds the light bulb then goes off. He exclaims, " I know what's done it, I've been rolling the meatballs!" :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We can survive a lot more than many of us think we can. I am of the opinion that the more we were exposed to "germs" as a kid the healthier, generally speaking, we are as adults.

As a kid I was always outside, in the dirt and seldom clean. I mean it was clean dirt, but dirt none the less. I got cut, scraped and skewered and that dirt got in, in all it's glory, and with all it's germs attached. I contend that all those attacks by those germs as a kid helps me to fight stuff off today.

I do believe that clean around food and the kitchen is mandatory. Even more so when it is a public eatery. I don't, however, think that everything is going to be perfect. I do expect reasonable. We will survive most of what we run into out here. If we don't, look on the bright side, we won't have to worry about the next truck payment!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
After a spell in the commercial food industry..from beef to fruit to pizza sauce,pickles, veggies...if you seen what was done and the condition of the product used.and how it was handled....you'd never want eat again...the violations in these eateries are don't even compare.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is one of the reasons I like to hunt. I know where my meat comes from then. When I was not driving I cut my own deer up. It might not have looked as pretty as when the butcher did it but I knew how it was handled. Besides, real meat tastes better than the styrefoam meat they sell at the stores. Better for you too. Lower in fat, calaries and lowers your cholesteral.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats why JuJu's garden gets bigger every year...home grown veggies and pickles and tomatoe sauces and dill pickles...all her herbs she grinds up...

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be more worried about the box than the pizza.
The box folders are usually the lowest paid employee doing all the nasty stuff.
Garbage, bathrooms, and general clean=up.
Where were their hands prior to assembling the box
that 500 degree pizza was put in?????:eek:
YUMMY
dabluzman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After 26 years of delivering towels, aprons, wet mops and the like to a wide variety of eateries, i can atest to the fact that if you saw what a kitchen looks like, you would never want to eat out. And if anybody doesn't think restaurants believe in the 30 second rule, think again.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Be more worried about the box than the pizza.
The box folders are usually the lowest paid employee doing all the nasty stuff.
Garbage, bathrooms, and general clean=up.
Where were their hands prior to assembling the box
that 500 degree pizza was put in?????:eek:
YUMMY
dabluzman

Yes, but when folding a box you don't touch the inside surface where the pizza sits. Ohh and the box folders are usually the Drivers, the highest paid employees!!!

Also they say the dirtiest place in your house is the kitchen sink, it's even worse then the toilet. How may times have you dropped something in the sink and picked it up out of the sink!!!

Last edited: