another j to watch

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
so gracie and i were in the lebanon in j the other nite. we were in the first booth. she observed this while we were there and i saw it when i paid. the pizza maker opened a bag of cheese, massaged it to loosen it up and then spread it and the rest of the ingredients and placed the pizza in the frig. then she lifter the lid on the chinese food pot and stirred the pot, got a new pizza crust from an open ir rack and started the operation over again. AT NO TIME DID SHE WEAR GLOVES OR WASH HER HANDS.

just thought you might want to know.

bon apatite.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
jack you are as tight with this as I am about cutting weenies in half....gawd 10 years ago gloves were unheard of and now it is to die for...how bout the hair? Did she or any other wear a hair net? was it tied back? remember when the cooks used to have a cig hangin out there mouth when he did your burger...we are still alive...

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Jack, it's ok, really.
I've extensive experience in pizza, most of it at Domino's, some at the Hut. No one wears gloves. No one washes their hands so long as they haven't left the make line.
Pizza's are cooked at 450-500 degree's, there's not a germ on the planet thats coming out the other end of that oven still alive. I've never heard of a case of food poisoning from a pizza. Very occasionally foreign matter...but never e coli, salmonella etc etc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My pet peeve is hair...nothing dirtier then hair...hardly any servers or food preparers wear a hair net...
In my kitchen days hair that touched your collar..you had to wear a net....

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I get a bigger kick out of the "cooks" that are big of belly and tattooed on the skin that you can see. They wear a hair net, but have on a T-shirt on with the sleeves cut off.:eek: I don't like curly hairs in/on or around my food.:mad:

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Far more serious than a curly, or dirty hands, but i agree those are visuals I don't need. Are the way the buffets are managed. HOT is to be kept HOT, and COLD, COLD. More germs, and serious nasty illnesses arise out of poorly managed buffets. The special of the day is something I will never eat, along with anything prepared with a cream/milk based sauce. It doesn't matter if your hands are squeaky clean, or you have bugs under your fingernails, if the buffet is not maintained you will be violently ill. Food poisioning takes approximately 8 hours to manifest in your system. Keep your reciept if you partake, if you get ill, call them. It won't make your barfies go away but, you will feel better that you called it to managements attention, and IF they care, they might do something.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I feel I'm kind of an expert since I have worked at pizza places since 1987. The use of gloves was not required, some use them some don't, even now they are optional. The ovens are extremely hot 550 to 750, most pizzas cook in less then 10 minutes now.
What I have always wondered is that the use of hats or hairnets are required at all the places I have worked, but the Manager does not have to wear one, even though they are on the make line.
I have to say that of all the pizza places/restaurants I have worked for, the pizza places seem to be the most sanitary. Everything is kept cool in the make line and is switched over to new bins every evening. Just my two cents:)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
so gracie and i were in the lebanon in j the other nite. we were in the first booth. she observed this while we were there and i saw it when i paid. the pizza maker opened a bag of cheese, massaged it to loosen it up and then spread it and the rest of the ingredients and placed the pizza in the frig. then she lifter the lid on the chinese food pot and stirred the pot, got a new pizza crust from an open ir rack and started the operation over again. AT NO TIME DID SHE WEAR GLOVES OR WASH HER HANDS.

bon apatite.

If you answer the phone or use the cash register, then washing your hands is required, as long as your on the make line or oven then you do not need to wash your hands

Zoli

Veteran Expediter

bon apatite.

Now if you except clean food from a truck stop you are naive. I never ,never eat food from truck stops.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ever watched any restaurant on any given day..there are hundreds of violation happening....

Reminds me of when I used to make hamburger patties at beef kill house...knee deep in mush with hip waiter and boots...shovel mixing in the corn meal and shovelling it into the hopper and poof pattie comes out the other end!!

Ahh another fav was at a cannery making creamed corn...do you think they really pick out the worms?

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ahh another fav was at a cannery making creamed corn...do you think they really pick out the worms?
Reminds me of when I worked on a factory trawler up in the Bering Sea ........ :rolleyes:

No, they don't pick out the worms or parasites .... and yes, a full trawl (net) can sit out on the deck for hours (as many as 8 or 10) in the sun, if the holding tanks are full and the catch cannot be processed immediately .....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No matter what you science experts think..i'll take the salad bar....germs abound all over the place anyhow....at least I leave the carbs and fats alone...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Carbs? Are not vegetables mainly carbs? You lost me there. More likely to get Ecoli on them veggies than other things too.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
uncooked/undercooked meat...mishandled meat...ecoli is every where Joe....if proper procedures aren't followed...