Another High School, Another Student with a gun - Time for tighter gun control?

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
All hostages released from Wisconsin high school

A student armed with two handguns held 23 other students and a teacher hostage for several hours at a school in Wisconsin before shooting himself.

Police were called to Marinette High School at around 1500 (2100 GMT), after the 15-year-old took over a classroom.

All of the hostages were released unharmed after a five-hour stand-off.

The student shot himself after police officers entered the classroom, police said. He was taken to a hospital, and his condition is not immediately known.

Marinette Police Chief Jeff Skorik said no other injuries had been reported

The incident began near the end of the school day, when the male student entered a classroom with two handguns - a .22-calibre semi-automatic and a 9mm semi-automatic - and took the students and teacher hostage.

Hostage negotiating teams were sent in, but the student made no demands and did not provide any sense of why he had done it, Chief Skorik said. All contact was made through the female teacher being held.

Chief Skorik said that at 1940 (0140 GMT), the student agreed to release five of the 23 students because they had to go the the toilet.

Twenty-three minutes later, police officers deployed outside the classroom heard three gunshots, he added.

The student shot himself after police officers entered the classroom, police said. He was taken to a hospital, and his condition is not immediately known.

Marinette Police Chief Jeff Skorik said no other injuries had been reported.

The incident began near the end of the school day, when the male student entered a classroom with two handguns - a .22-calibre semi-automatic and a 9mm semi-automatic - and took the students and teacher hostage.

Hostage negotiating teams were sent in, but the student made no demands and did not provide any sense of why he had done it, Chief Skorik said. All contact was made through the female teacher being held.

Chief Skorik said that at 1940 (0140 GMT), the student agreed to release five of the 23 students because they had to go the the toilet.

Twenty-three minutes later, police officers deployed outside the classroom heard three gunshots, he added.

"At that time, the officers breached the door, entered the classroom and saw the suspect standing in the front of the classroom. As the officers approached him, the suspect fired one shot and injured himself."

The remaining hostages, as well as the teacher, were immediately evacuated.

"All of the students were safely removed from the school and were put on buses and reunited with their families," Chief Skorik said.

Marinette Health and Human Services has mental health counsellors talking with the parents, and the Marinette Schools Superintendent, Tim Baneck, said classes at the school would be cancelled on Tuesday.

"The high school will be closed tomorrow. We, too, will need to regroup and assess the situation, find out more as this investigation continues."

Investigators have interviewed the gunman's parents. Chief Skorik said he did not have any history with the police

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Tighter gun control would not stop situations like this. Criminals dont care if they purchase guns legally.

Dale

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ask Mexico or Chicago how those Gun control laws are working for them.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe law enforcement officials should have severed the student strings before things got out of control. I hope they charge the puppeteer with 1st degree murder.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe law enforcement officials should have severed the student strings before things got out of control. I hope they charge the puppeteer with 1st degree murder.

Can anyone translate this?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Our founding fathers were wise enough to know that limiting guns to the government is just asking for tyranny.
If law abiding citizens lose their rights whenever the criminals abuse those rights, we'll soon have none left.

milpig

Expert Expediter
Gun control may be the correct term for what needs to happen here. The gun owner should be nailed to a wall for not controlling his guns. If it isn't on your person, LOCK IT UP!

Why is it that people scream gun control. Make irresponsible acts as a gun owner a crime.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Gun control may be the correct term for what needs to happen here. The gun owner should be nailed to a wall for not controlling his guns. If it isn't on your person, LOCK IT UP!

Why is it that people scream gun control. Make irresponsible acts as a gun owner a crime.

:rolleyes: Isn't that in itself a form of gun control? :rolleyes:

milpig

Expert Expediter
:rolleyes: Isn't that in itself a form of gun control? :rolleyes:

Yes, however, most Americans think that gun control simply means take them away.

I think there are a lot of irresponsible gun owners that need to step up and do the right thing. Do I get tired of opening and closing my safe when I am home? Yes. Do I still put away my home defense gun in the morning and get out the carry gun after my shower? Yes. I would feel responsible if my child did something stupid because I was lazy.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I am just tired of the unintelligent minority giving anti-gun advocates ammunition to use against me.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
UPDATE ON THIS STORY
BBC News

The 15-year-old boy who shot himself after taking 23 students and a teacher hostage at his school in Wisconsin has died of his wounds

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Yes, however, most Americans think that gun control simply means take them away.

I think there are a lot of irresponsible gun owners that need to step up and do the right thing. Do I get tired of opening and closing my safe when I am home? Yes. Do I still put away my home defense gun in the morning and get out the carry gun after my shower? Yes. I would feel responsible if my child did something stupid because I was lazy.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I am just tired of the unintelligent minority giving anti-gun advocates ammunition to use against me.

You are not coming off as a rant at all - you have given your opinion and that is what these threads are for :)
I agree with you - the words Gun Control raise the temperature of some ppl when it shouldn't.
Gun Control does not mean taking way all guns, it simply means controlling the guns that are out there.
And yes I do realise that you are not going to stop the criminal minority from getting weapons, but I don't think this story (or the other High School tradegies) are about criminals and guns - these kids got the weapons from where? Home?
I am unsure of the age limit in the US for a minor to purchase a weapon, but it surely can't be at 15 years and these were his own weapons!! :confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There is an inherent problem in the thinking that gun control defined any which way would have prevent something like this from happening - it will not.

When a kid, who is screwed up decided to do something, then they will do it. We will hear in the next few months how he was beaten or bullied or what ever but it always comes down to the kid was screwed up because of the system and the system failed to teach him to deal with the problems or seek out people to get help.