Another Brilliant Panther Move

termite289

Expert Expediter
i know that my acceptance always takes a nose dive when it is time to go home. i get on the home time board, and instantly i get 3 offers to jearsey, or canada. and i watch my numbers plummet. after 3 loads going the wrong way i simply put myself out of service, and deadhead, but then there are those loads i get sent while out of service, like at Christmas. 85 miles from home after deadheading all day from indy, and they want me to turn and go back to west Alabama. I sent back some astronomical price, figuring that they wouldn't bother me about it since i was out of service for 6 hours already, but i got dinged for refusal anyway. apparently someone didn't get the qc message about me being out of service.
this is getting frustrating.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ouchee! Dave, ya might lose some finger skin on this one. Wonder'in if you'll splain?

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
agian if your on the hometyme board and the load offer is away from yor home i does not count aginst you

termite289

Expert Expediter
yea i know it isnt supposed to count against you if it isnt going your way, but unless you call them on it, some of them slip by. believe it or not.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Ouchee! Dave, ya might lose some finger skin on this one. Wonder'in if you'll splain?

nothing to explain panther runs a backhual department so you can book your own loads and as long as the run ends near a primary zone they do it for you

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
yea i know it isnt supposed to count against you if it isnt going your way, but unless you call them on it, some of them slip by. believe it or not.

yea a dispatcher will enter the wrong code by accident or on purpose but i watch that number like a hawk.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That would be my take. If your on the hometime board, those runs that didn't go towards your house aren't refusals.
Everything else is the same. If you were out of service and they sent you a run, that is a easy correction. A quick look at when you went OOS would take care of that.

termite289

Expert Expediter
i will have to watch it more closley now i supose. i never woried about it before, but with this new rule, well, kinda hard to get away from the house with a expedite load now days. especialy if your numbers went down before ya got there.

termite289

Expert Expediter
don't get me wrong, i love expediting. i like being the most important truck at the shippers, and cons. i like to see recivers smile when i et their critical stuff to them.
ill just have to be a tad more diligent when it comes to home time in the future, and if i accidently get dinged, ill have to call on it.
i supose this new rule will thin the heard a tad bit. so, if we can survive till then things will get better after it thins out.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ummm, how are we supposed to get our acceptance % up, if we are constantly bumped down on the list for offers?

What happens if everyone on the board has a 100% acceptance rating? What if all of the people on the board have a 67 percent acceptance rating; will panther skip them and deadhead someone in from over 200 miles away? That is just getting ridiculous. Unless, of course, panther is implimenting this new policy to weed out the bad drivers. I think acceptance rates should matter and those who cherry pick should be punished accordingly. But the best way to dispatch is based on dwel time just like Express-1 does. If your truck has been sitting "anywhere" for the most amount of time since the last load, you should get the next load; period. That is the fairist way to load trucks and it eliminates the conspiracy theories.

moose

Veteran Expediter
As i mentions before on this Forum ,

this is a clear example of the large carriers inability to compeete in the current market conditions.

so they pass the bill to the independent owner.

large carriers cannot offer a discount price , do to the expensive overhead they must keep to be able to serve selected costumers , those customers ,tho'w paying more for that service , now have more options.
that pay dose not cover the extra costs of doing business.

in order to serve those selected costumers , large carrier must provide coverage ,
and that's why they are and will continue to lease on as many Trucks as they can.
once they have more trucks then shipments , they can and need, to be selective in awarding loads to trucks.
Why ?
because they can.

a good example , Tho'w not Expedite , is Mercer trucking news statement from last week.
this carrier had to reduce his fleet size from 2,100 to less then 1,900
first one to go where drivers with less then a perfect safety stats.
next where drivers that the recruiting Dep. had received calls from other trucking company's ,asking for employments records and recommendation .
unheard on in the trucking industry.
Why ?
because they can and need to be selective.

you cannot continue to do business they way you did before.
just because it was working for you for the last 5 years , dose not mean you can afford to be in business with the same carrier in today market.

Moose.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
moose:
i don't think that being selective is an inherently bad thing ,it is the basis of the expedite industry if your freight is worth more time wise or condition wise you call an expedite company if your not that selective you call a regular freight company and pray it gets there in one piece.

termite289:
When the chafe is turning down every 3rd load i don't think Panther is losing much by them leaving and i don't think those running those kinds of numbers are making much.I think mostly those who will be effected are the retired holiday expedites who use expediting to pay for fuel to get from one sight seeing area to the next then turn down a few loads while they check that place out.

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
got my position #2 back, qc clearly stated 67% and i was 77% of course 4 loads went out yesterday but oh well, at least i am not at the bottom....if you are under this you wont move up, so how ya goona get rating back up if no loads come your way?? go to a isolated board where you are the only one there????

I think untill they feel your punishment is over,or untill you fall below the"fleet average in pay for the week" then they will get ya moving again.LOL just rack up a 1k bill on the qc/ins,and see how fast they start running you.:cool:

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Late last night I concluded a deal adding 8 trucks to my fleet. This morning this QC message comes out saying your acceptance rate will determine your board position. That message also indicated that those who help panther grow will grow with them. I got on the phone and I called every one of my drivers. I told them to keep there numbers right where they were. We will not change how we do business because of this message. It was an easy call to make. I dont have a single cherry picker in my fleet. all truck acceptance rates are above 90%. This new policy needs to be refined a little but for the most part, I say it is long over due. Some will hate me for this, some will agree. Bottom line here is MY BOTTOM LINE. and while it has been scarey at times, we have stayed profitable and are growing at a rate far greater than I expected when I switched from driver to owner.

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Thx RLENT. It is a bit early to call it successful though hehe. I hope "successful" turn out to be an accurate prediction ;)

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
wow this one takes the cake....i was 2nd out then at 8pm last nite i was 5th. so i jumped back on the pc...and noticed there was no first outs that came in.....so i called drivers relations, and miss snippy stated i was last out because my acceptance rating was 77 %..i said whats that got to do with anything...she stated people with higher acceptance ratings get a lower board number.....so today i look at the board and yepp i am now 6th.....so lets see board pos dont meant crapp...1st outs dont mean crapp..its all about your acceptance ratings.....get 5 loads offers a month and turn one down and and at 80% acceptance you had better be the only one there...doesnt matter that they wanted you to deadhead 200 miles unpaid for a 100 mile load...doesnt matter that its a 100 mile load that pickes up on a friday and delivers on a monday....have fun with that crapp, this cats outta the box soon.

This company is the worst one I have ever worked for, its time to quit. Panther ****ing sucks and they don't give a **** about drivers or owners.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
I cannot believe what I am seeing here. I wonder what 'no forced dispatch' means any more. We don't force you to take this load, but if you don't your next offer comes your way next week. Tri-state's 8 hours out of service for a refusal looks like nothing compared to this.

No forced dispatch doesn't exist!