Android Is Popular Because It’s Cheap, Not Because It’s Good

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Apple never has been about being the best, it's always been about the status. It's never been a question of, "Is Apple good enough for you?", but "Are you good enough for Apple?"

Macheads, and now the more generic Appleheads, tend to be richer, more snootier and more snottier than everyone else else.

One could easily write up a piece making a strong case that the iPhone is popular because it's idiot proof, not because it's good. :D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What a joke, they try to pretend the iPhone is better because of things like LTE but Apple just added it while Android phones have been using it for awhile. They also are apparently so misinformed about Android phones that they don't even know that they are just as expensive in many cases. Apple has been getting knocked on their innovative butts and dragged kicking and screaming into using up to date technology. They haven't come up with anything new in years and that is why people don't like them, who wants to pay for old technology.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Android is very good for what it is being used for.. it is cheap because it is so much easier to program for than the elitist apple and the bloated windows.... 10 times the apps for android because it is easier to program.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Apple stock is dropping, just saying.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't call my $600 Android cheap. And having had an iPhone, and hating it, I'd say it's far better than an iPhone. iPhones are like the Beatles: pioneers to whom we owe a lot because they blazed a trail, but they've been surpassed exponentially. iPhones are also like AOL: good primarily for those who aren't terribly tech-savvy and benefit from pre-packaged, provider-defined services.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Sort of like Starbucks, you have to have those ya know. And to be able to drink the crappy coffee, you have to add all kinds of enhancers, like sugar, whipped cream, etc ...

Android, to me, is like a good cup of Folgers, worth the cost and a good product.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Plus, neither Android or Folgers is particularly associated with "gay" the way Apple and Starbucks are. :D

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about the novel notion that there can be more than one good OS? People love to crap on Blackberry these days, but without them we wouldn't be enjoying what we have now. : phonewarz:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's very true. Everything we do with email these days can be traced directly to the Blackberry. Android caught on because it was cheap, but if the OS wasn't any good, it wouldn't still be here.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Keep in mind, there are lots of people who tried iPhones and hate them. And every Android phone I've ever had has cost more than an iPhone.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One could easily write up a piece making a strong case that the iPhone is popular because it's idiot proof, not because it's good. :D
Let me know when you write that article and I will send you a picture of me with my iPhone. I'm that idiot. I had an Android for about two days. I returned it, paid the restocking fee and got an iPhone.

Santa brought me a new Dell desktop computer for Christmas. It had Windows 8. What a worthless operating system for a non-touch screen desk top. I returned it for a Dell with Windows 7. I loved the Windows 7 but less than 24 hours after setting it up and downloading 37 Microsoft updates, I got the blue screen of death, followed by the black screen of death. Packed that sucker up and sent it back to Dell. I'm getting a Mac mini. I've had enough of Microsoft. Ignorance is bless and social status is to die for! Hope I get a Mac tee shirt with my purchase.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I bought a Android tablet - it took hours upon hours of reconfiguring to make it work. Mfg fail. Sorry. Cheap and readily available but not user friendly.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I bought a Android tablet - it took hours upon hours of reconfiguring to make it work. Mfg fail. Sorry. Cheap and readily available but not user friendly.

Now imagine not having the ability to change anything to how you like it to work, kind of like Apple. You were forced to accept the iPhone the way it was and learn their system rather than being given choices, it takes time to learn an OS like Android.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Huh? Android works out of the box. You can spend your lifetime upgrading, customizing, and configuring if you like because it's possible, but it's not necessary. I have an Android tablet and an Android phone, and they did everything right out of the box even before I started customizing.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Now imagine not having the ability to change anything to how you like it to work, kind of like Apple. You were forced to accept the iPhone the way it was and learn their system rather than being given choices, it takes time to learn an OS like Android.
The above statements would seem to indicate some degree of unfamiliarity (fairly significant I'd say) with Apple products and the current state of things as far as customizing, modifying, and otherwise hacking either the Mac or iOS' ...

IOW, it's something that you likely heard ... not necessarily something you've personally observed or experienced ...

Sent from my MacBook, via a tethered internet connection to my (jail-broken via Blackra1n) iPhone 3GS (which I paid $199 for several years ago) - using a piece of software (PDANet) that isn't available from the App Store ... both of which were obtained via Cydia ...

If there is one thing that's actually worse than an "Apple fanboy" ... it's probably the "anti-Apple fan-boy" ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have some degree of familiarity (fairly significant I'd say) with Apple products and the current state of things as far as customizing, modifying, and otherwise hacking either the Mac or iOS' ... and I'd echo Paul's statements verbatim. Apple offers very limited and restricted customizing (only allowing the foolproof kind), far less modifying, and no hacking whatsoever. If you want to modify or hack, you have to go well outside the realm of Apple's consent and control.

Meanwhile, right out of the box, the shear number of modifications and customizations available for an Android phone can be quite daunting to some, as Lawrence noted. PDANet is right there in the Google Play Store (which, BTW, is an utterly retarded replacement name for the Android Marketplace), and doesn't require any hacking of the OS or the phone to install and run.

Sent from my Toshiba Satellite, via a Bluetooth-tethered internet connection to my (non-jail-broken via anything) Droid Bionic (which I paid $159 for one years ago) - using a piece of software (PDANet) that is readily and easily available to anyone from the Android Store ... both of which were obtained via Google.

If there is one thing that's actually worse than an "Apple fanboy" ... it's probably the "anti-Apple fan-boy" ... :rolleyes:
Yeah, you're probably right.

It's close, though.:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The above statements would seem to indicate some degree of unfamiliarity (fairly significant I'd say) with Apple products and the current state of things as far as customizing, modifying, and otherwise hacking either the Mac or iOS' ...

IOW, it's something that you likely heard ... not necessarily something you've personally observed or experienced ...

Sent from my MacBook, via a tethered internet connection to my (jail-broken via Blackra1n) iPhone 3GS (which I paid $199 for several years ago) - using a piece of software (PDANet) that isn't available from the App Store ... both of which were obtained via Cydia ...

Unless things have changed drastically with iPhone 5(they haven't) then the iPhone is still the same as when I owned the iPhone 4. You have the option of rooting an Android phone to have even more options and control but you don't need to just to get basic things. I didn't hate the iPhone but just didn't like it as much as any of the Android phones I have had.