Android Is Popular Because It’s Cheap, Not Because It’s Good

mzraik

Active Expediter
I have some degree of familiarity (fairly significant I'd say) with Apple products and the current state of things as far as customizing, modifying, and otherwise hacking either the Mac or iOS' ... and I'd echo Paul's statements verbatim. Apple offers very limited and restricted customizing (only allowing the foolproof kind), far less modifying, and no hacking whatsoever. If you want to modify or hack, you have to go well outside the realm of Apple's consent and control.

Meanwhile, right out of the box, the shear number of modifications and customizations available for an Android phone can be quite daunting to some, as Lawrence noted. PDANet is right there in the Google Play Store (which, BTW, is an utterly retarded replacement name for the Android Marketplace), and doesn't require any hacking of the OS or the phone to install and run.

Sent from my Toshiba Satellite, via a Bluetooth-tethered internet connection to my (non-jail-broken via anything) Droid Bionic (which I paid $159 for one years ago) - using a piece of software (PDANet) that is readily and easily available to anyone from the Android Store ... both of which were obtained via Google.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's close, though.:D

Foxfi works well too, wifi using your phone without the tether.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
All I've used for several years is Apple products. I've tried android recently, and it just doesn't compare in my book. I love Apple, and won't use anything else now. The quality far surpasses others in my book. I love my Macbook and iPod. The mini iPad has become so convenient to use as well.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have just the opposite view when it comes to smart phones. Android far surpassed apples teeny tiny little play phone.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I have just the opposite view when it comes to smart phones. Android far surpassed apples teeny tiny little play phone.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123
Exactly. iPhones are childrens' toys compared to Android.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Exactly. iPhones are childrens' toys compared to Android.
I'm a big kid and yes I like simple, dependable so my Apple junk wins.
The very best moments of my life are driving down the road and I get a face time request from the grand-kids..
I have never invested in anti virus for my Mac pro and have had it for 5 years trouble free.
Gay? Ok Fan boy maybe but I like crap I can depend on and Apple has never let me down...Yet
339058_2003309562194_808442462_o.jpg

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm a big kid and yes I like simple, dependable so my Apple junk wins.
The very best moments of my life are driving down the road and I get a face time request from the grand-kids..
I have never invested in anti virus for my Mac pro and have had it for 5 years trouble free.
Gay? Ok Fan boy maybe but I like crap I can depend on and Apple has never let me down...Yet

I don't think Apple is junk, it just gives the user less options. Android also has free apps similar to Face Time except the people using it don't have to have the exact same phone, just any phone with a front facing camera and the Android OS. The Windows OS for computers is obviously the target for malware and viruses but that has more to do with the fact that there aren't enough Mac computers, not what Apple is doing. I had a cheap Acer for several years that never had problems even though I never renewed Norton. It also got thrown to the floor about a dozen times when I left it on the stand and backed under a trailer to hard or just forgot about it and bounced it off the stand going down the road. There are plenty of viable options out there for phones and the better quality Androids and iPhone are more about user preference than anything.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Not bagging on ya Paul and am totally aware of the options for Android, I am just saying it is good for me.. I have 2 Android phones and 2 I-phones and my go to phone is always the I-phone..Face time with the grands is always the I-pod and starts with where you at pappa? I just flip the screen and they see for themselves. My grands think I am the coolest guy in the world thanks to the innovations of ole Steve.. Crazy ******* was still alive I would buy a dog turd if it had the Apple logo.
That being said I really don't have a lot of faith in the new Apple....
So in 10 years when my Apple junk dies I may go Android8)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Not bagging on ya Paul and am totally aware of the options for Android, I am just saying it is good for me.. I have 2 Android phones and 2 I-phones and my go to phone is always the I-phone..Face time with the grands is always the I-pod and starts with where you at pappa? I just flip the screen and they see for themselves. My grands think I am the coolest guy in the world thanks to the innovations of ole Steve.. Crazy ******* was still alive I would buy a dog turd if it had the Apple logo.
That being said I really don't have a lot of faith in the new Apple....
So in 10 years when my Apple junk dies I may go Android8)

It is just one of those things that you can't go wrong on, both are modern technology at it's best.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
ole Steve.. Crazy ******* was still alive I would buy a dog turd if it had the Apple logo.
You remind me of the average Cubs fan, whose legions will buy every seat in foul Wrigley Field even if it's mid-June and the Scrubs are already mathematically eliminated. Thing is, it gives the Scrubs no incentive to make the changes necessary to win.
Likewise, crApple will dole out new versions of the iPhone with basic functions that should have been on them years ago, and crApple fan-boys will stand in line for 3 days like Star Wars 47 just came out. Think there's a plan there, in an evil genius sort of way?
I mean, if, like White Sox fans, the customers would stay away unless the team execs put a reasonable product on the field, nothing will change and crApple will continue to play you, in effect, selling you $600 dog turds.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
You remind me of the average Cubs fan, whose legions will buy every seat in foul Wrigley Field even if it's mid-June and the Scrubs are already mathematically eliminated. Thing is, it gives the Scrubs no incentive to make the changes necessary to win.
Likewise, crApple will dole out new versions of the iPhone with basic functions that should have been on them years ago, and crApple fan-boys will stand in line for 3 days like Star Wars 47 just came out. Think there's a plan there, in an evil genius sort of way?
I mean, if, like White Sox fans, the customers would stay away unless the team execs put a reasonable product on the field, nothing will change and crApple will continue to play you, in effect, selling you $600 dog turds.
Scrub this..I love the Cubbies.... BTW you can kiss my apple=)

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
YEAH BUT FOR A LOSING TEAM THEY STILL BRING THE DOLLAS...
Can't deny that
They bring in the dollars because half of the "fans" aren't even baseball fans or there for the game. Many are there because they're Wrigley fans, or tourists told they need to see the ivy and the traditional scoreboard. And that's another reason that, if the Scrubs are really serious about fielding a real baseball team, they should tear that dump down, make a clean beak with their losing past, and lose the Wrigley fans. 20,000 real fans are worth more than sell-outs with the stand full of "fans" who don't even know what the score is. Until/unless they make that break, the White Sox will win ANOTHER title before the Scrubs see one.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator