An open letter to Flying J corp.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes, I know what you are saying,I buy alot of my oil and additives from Wal-Mart and just shake my head when I see the prices they rape us on in the truckstops.Same with the prices in the restaurants,I try to eat at other places other than the truckstops,even though I love the fish dinner at the Petro-T/A.Even the showers are overpriced, when you can go to a Sta-Mart in ND and take a real nice shower, all ceramic heated floors and ceramic walls, nice towles, all for $3.00 without fuel.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we talked to a restaurant manager sat nite in jackson. he said the big announcement is coming may 27. the private owners of the j business are only pocketing 475 million in this transaction. guess a million could not go to fixing showers over the last year.
jackson has been the dirtiest facility we have encountered.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It's funny, people think this is a way of life that just has to remain static.

I mean things change, J and other truckstops 5 years ago may not been like they are today and even 30 years ago didn't exist like they do 20 years ago.

How about having things IMPROVE instead of decline?

We practically live in these truckstops 300+ days a year. Incremental degradation of service adds up over time and degrades quality of life. Sure, we can adjust, I suppose, but being the customer, shouldn't we expect better? They're supposed to serve us, remember?

Come on, Denny's?

What's worse?

Buffets where you don't know what was thrown in the food or how old it is?

Denny's is worse.

I wouldn't mind eating at a Denny's twice a year, just to remind myself how good the other places are in comparison. Hey, here's an idea...how about we get TA to put Denny's in and get Flying J to keep their restaurants? If I'm going to take a step down to Denny's (and it is a step DOWN), I want it to be the smallest step.

And it's not just the food. Denny's isn't a place that's conducive to leisure. It's not quite the get in-shovel-get out routine at the Waffle Hut, but it's not as pleasant as the Hook restaurant. Both the food and service at the Denny's in Carlisle are very substandard.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It is amazing the expectation that some drivers have just because they purchase some fuel...they think everyone should give them discounts and pander to their every need...like the TS should kiss their butt an bless the ground they walk on...

It's called being the customer.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Improvement?

I guess.

But here is the bottom line.

Moving from their in house place to Denny's allows them to take the training and related problems out of the picture. It is like training a rock with some of these people who work at these places, like t/a's restaurant. Even though you seem to dislike Denny's, they have had a good track record with their franchisees. They turn a profit, have a better known brand than J outside the trucking/RV group and can handle things a bit better. The one thing that comes to mind is the fact that now there is a third party who can yank the contract if things are not up to their standards. After seeing the condition of some of these places are in, it is really a needed change.

Maybe it is a stepping stone. I think the Detroiter made a good change by moving to IHop, so maybe J (*pilot) has a long term plan on getting better service.

As for the rush of Denny's, it must be one you go to because I have never felt rushed at Denny's. If the waitress wants to turn the table, she better be prepared to wait with me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've never had a problem at Denny's. They are consistently rated in the top 10 of all sit-down national chains in areas of food quality, customer service, and health and safety standards. Sure, there are some bad ones, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

In the interest of fair disclosure, I was a District Manager for Denny's corporate (1 location in Paducah, 2 in Louisville, 1 in Clarksville, IN, and 4 in Nashville) for 5 years, until those locations were franchised (most of which are now not even there). But that was more than 20 years ago, so I don't know what all has changed.

But after being in the foodservice industry for a lot of years, and food handling safety procedures being one of my specialties, I'd take Denny's any time over Flying J. There are a few select Flying J locations where their food pre, handling and sanitation procedures were well above standard, but most were coming in at barely acceptable. A few locations consistently ranked 95 or above in health inspections, but corporate-wide the average is below 80 on a regular basis. That's bad, really bad, for a national chain, and even Flying J corporate has admitted to it. There's a reason they have replaced the head of the restaurant division about every 18 months for the last 15 years. There's also a reason Flying J is finally getting out of the restaurant business and faming it out to other chains.

Denny's is good, so is iHop. Be fine with me if they'd stick a Cracker Barrel in a bunch of them, but Cracker Barrel doesn't want to do a 24 hour diner operation.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
When I go to Denny's and look down the menu, I find myself going, "Nope...nope...nope...nope...nope...nope..." The J had far better selection. And maybe the Denny's I've been to have been substandard relative to other Denny's, but I'm pretty sure they're largely the same. Same menu, anyway.

ScoobyMagee

Expert Expediter
As of today the Flying J in Salina Kansas is charging $3.00 extra for Buffets to go. The reason is the truck drivers are loading up on meat. Hummm

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As of today the Flying J in Salina Kansas is charging $3.00 extra for Buffets to go. The reason is the truck drivers are loading up on meat. Hummm

Doesn't that kind of go against the "all you can eat for $7.99" advertising?

Seems to me that if they are starting to charge for buffet takeaways, it removes the all you can eat thing out of the entire concept.

sockhat

Seasoned Expediter
I have email the food service director in the past at the flying j. They
got right back to me. Maybe everyone should go to the flying j web site ,click on contact and go down to food service and give them your comments. They haven't improved there selections in the deli box. But= at least i feel better for having "vented my opinion".

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When I go to Denny's and look down the menu, I find myself going, "Nope...nope...nope...nope...nope...nope..." The J had far better selection. And maybe the Denny's I've been to have been substandard relative to other Denny's, but I'm pretty sure they're largely the same. Same menu, anyway.

You're kidding, right? The J's selection amounts to, "It's all the same thing, just put together differently." And not to mention that it's rare that I don't find myself running to the can in the middle of a J meal. Cooking in lube oil tends to do that to me.

guido4475

Not a Member
You're kidding, right? The J's selection amounts to, "It's all the same thing, just put together differently." And not to mention that it's rare that I don't find myself running to the can in the middle of a J meal. Cooking in lube oil tends to do that to me.

I'm right there with you, brother!! A definate laxative, that is for sure.But I do have to admit, their pancakes and fries are pretty good.....LOL.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're kidding, right? The J's selection amounts to, "It's all the same thing, just put together differently."
That's pretty much it, right there. Early in my chef training I was told something that still holds true, "Always start with the best ingredients, and then don't [screw] it up." The Flying J does neither. They start with the cheapest stuff that can legally be called "food", and then manage to screw up each and every ingredient. They have about 17 different basic ingredients, and instead of creating the best dishes from those ingredients, they go with, "How many different combinations of these ingredients can we come up with to have as many menu items as possible?"

Their corporate kitchen manual is entitled 1001 WAYS TO ABUSE A CHICKEN.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
There is more than the payroll issue. They can now count on a steady known income from that floor space, assuming that Denny's is leasing the space. The "J" can now handle being a truck stop. Denny's will handle health board inspections. I always thought that leasing out that space to a chain like Denny's would be a smart move.

Maybe now they can focus on keeping their bathrooms from stinking and keeping the fixtures in proper working order...

Last edited:

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
In the interest of fair disclosure, I was a District Manager for Denny's corporate (1 location in Paducah, 2 in Louisville, 1 in Clarksville, IN, and 4 in Nashville) for 5 years, until those locations were franchised (most of which are now not even there). But that was more than 20 years ago, so I don't know what all has changed.

What's changed? Racial Profiling for one thing...no more free birthday meals...and what about the Super Bird? It just disappeared! What were they thinking?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely not. The Hook's menu was, top to bottom, superior to Denny's.

I finally had a decent meal at Denny's. Their steak skillet dinner with the tortillas was decent. But their oven was out of order, has been for days, so there were things they couldn't even make. Not a drop of soup in the whole joint, either.

Denny's has no taco salad, no spaghetti, and they only have chili two days a week.

They suck. Hard.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know, when they put in the Denny's, they seem to leave the kitchen left alone. Denny's doesn't provide the kitchen, J remodels the place to conform to the contract (if at all) and the kitchen equipment still would breakdown regardless who ran the place.

The one I was at yesterday and the manager told me this; "... it is just the name and new menu. We will have a trainer come in and retrain our staff which means we will get rid of Miguel and Juan but hire new cooks who speak English and not hit on the waitresses. If someone does like something, then come to me and I will see what we can do about it.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The one I was at yesterday and the manager told me this; "... it is just the name and new menu. We will have a trainer come in and retrain our staff which means we will get rid of Miguel and Juan but hire new cooks who speak English and not hit on the waitresses. If someone does like something, then come to me and I will see what we can do about it.

I'm guessing putting better food on the menu isn't one of the things he can do.