America's Social Pillars Falling Like Dominoes.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah, those poor pro death people, so mistreated by the pro life people. And those dam babies, imagine thinking they have the right to live instead of being murdered by those innocent, perfectly reasonable pro death people.

Those "dam babies" don't think anything, because they aren't babies, and they aren't capable of thought.

And speaking of hypocritical, how often have you advocated death for offenses to your sensibilities?

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
I must say, after reading this topic in full, the header is appropriate and so true...where o where can I find the original America I know or at least knew and loved so dearly...sad times ahead...sad times.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I must say, after reading this topic in full, the header is appropriate and so true...where o where can I find the original America I know or at least knew and loved so dearly...sad times ahead...sad times.

I have a sneaking suspicion the America you knew and loved so dearly is the one where women 'knew their place' .....
Sorry, dude, it's gone. And it aint coming back, neither.
;)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a sneaking suspicion the America you knew and loved so dearly is the one where women 'knew their place' .....
;)

And thank God for that.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And speaking of hypocritical, how often have you advocated death for offenses to your sensibilities?
And that right there is the mark of a genuine Pro-Lifer ... For Death™ ...

The stench of the lust for vengeance is unmistakable ...

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
;)

Lol, that could be the next topic...people, women included, were a lot happier then from my readings...as a matter of fact, I think there are women authors today who write about bringing back some of "old ways"...I'll get those titles for you if you like...lol

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lol, that could be the next topic...people, women included, were a lot happier then from my readings...as a matter of fact, I think there are women authors today who write about bringing back some of "old ways"...I'll get those titles for you if you like...lol

Perhaps you could include some reading material that describes how women felt about having babies until their uteri fell out, or how it felt to be pregnant & unmarried in the 50's, sent to a 'home for unwed mothers' and forced to give birth, then give the baby [and those were babies] up for adoption.
There's a lot more stories of the "good old days" out there

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Tracy McMillan, TV writer and author of "Why You’re Not Married" one the most popular articles ever to appear on The Huffington Post responded this way to the backlash her piece elicited: “The truth will set you free. But first it will p**s you off.”
In the last two weeks my op-ed about why men are retreating from marriage, hit a nerve. In “The War on Men,” which appeared here on FoxNews.com, I said women are angry. And they are. I was inundated with emails from women telling me I should be ashamed of myself for suggesting women have a role to play in the decline of marriage and battle of the sexes. One reader even told me to kill myself. No, really. Kill myself.
My crime, apparently, is twofold. First I said men said women are no longer women. And in response, I suggested women get in touch with their feminine side. I didn’t, however, say what I meant by that statement. That’s because the article was supposed to be a teaser for my upcoming book, "How to Choose a Husband and Make Peace with Marriage."
Love today has become a power struggle, largely because women have been conditioned to keep their guard up – as though men and marriage will swallow them whole.
But since the backlash has been so severe – with feminists convinced I want to set women back 200 years – I feel compelled to offer a sampling of what I meant by "surrendering" to one’s femininity. As one woman named Lia asked, “What does it mean to surrender to our femininity in today’s world? How do we reclaim our rightful gender roles without giving up our careers and independence?”
It’s easier than you think.
You begin by accepting that men and women are different. Equal, but different. This means you’ll have to reject feminist dogma since feminism has taught you that equality means sameness.
Fortunately, there’s been an explosion of brain research in the past several years to help explain male and female anatomy. The best books are Dr. Louann Brizendine’s “The Male Brain” and “The Female Brain.”
Here’s what we know: Females, in general, are nurturing and relational beings. They like to gather and nest and take care of people. They like to commiserate with other females – a lot. That’s why girls can talk for hours on end. It’s why more women stay home with their children than men. It’s why the teaching and caregiving professions are still heavily female. Not every single woman in the world falls into this category, but that doesn’t make the generalization any less true.
Males, on the other hand – in general – are loners. They’re content to mill about in their man caves. They like to hunt. They like to build things and kill things. If you don’t have a son, this may sound strange. But again, that doesn’t make it untrue – nor does the fact that not every single man in the world is like this. Men also take pride in caring for their families. They can’t carry babies or nurse them, but they can provide for them. So let them.
That, of course, is the gray area. Gone are the days of the breadwinning husband and the homemaking wife, right? So if I’m not referring to Ward and June Cleaver, what on earth do I mean? As Lia asked, what does it mean for “today’s world”?
It means women shouldn’t let their success in the workplace become the biggest thing in their lives.
If the ultimate goal is lasting love, women are going to have to become comfortable with sacrifice and capitulation. Because those are the underpinnings of a long-term marriage – for both sexes. If you don’t believe me, ask your grandparents. Or anyone else who’s been married for decades.
Love today has become a power struggle, largely because women have been conditioned to keep their guard up – as though men and marriage will swallow them whole. As Sandra Bullock once said to Barbara Walters, “I’d always had this feeling that if you got married, it was like the end of who you were.” That attitude is commonplace, and it’s the direct result of a generation of feminists who told their daughters never to depend on a man.
We live in a new world. But that doesn’t mean it’s a better world. Women are struggling more than ever with how to rectify their desire for independence with their desire for love. These two things can be reconciled. But you must first be open to ideas that sound blasphemous.
Just because you make your own money doesn’t mean your guy can’t pay the bill. Just because you value independence doesn’t mean you can’t take your husband’s last name. Just because you can do the same job a man can do doesn’t mean you need to let him know it.
Surrendering to your femininity means many things. It means letting your man be the man despite the fact that you’ve proved you’re his equal. It means recognizing the fact that you may very well want to stay home with your babies – and that that’s normal. It means if you do work outside the home, you don’t use your work to play tit-for-tat in your marriage. It means tapping into that part of yourself that’s genuinely vulnerable and really does need a man – even though the culture says you don’t.
In other words, surrendering to your femininity means to put down your sword. It’s okay if your guy’s in charge. It’s okay if you don’t drive the car.
In fact, it’s rather liberating.
Suzanne Venker has written extensively about politics, parenting, and the influence of feminism on American society. Her latest book, "How to Choose a Husband (And Make Peace with Marriage)" will be published in February 2013. Visit howtochooseahusband.com for more information.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a lot more stories of the "good old days" out there....

Ah yes, the good old days.
:rolleyes:

No-Guns-Jews-Blacks-395x263.jpg
tumblr_m0leq1c0jP1r8sysyo1_400.gif

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
See,,,I said "some" of the old days...and you immediately took a defensive stance pointing out the misfortunes alone...tunnel vision again.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's the pro death position, that babies aren't babies. And there is nothing hypocritical about supporting the death penalty for guilty criminals while opposing the pro death hypocrites who advocate killing innocent babies for the convenience of the unfit parent while simultaneously opposing the death penalty for guilty criminals. That coincides with the hypocrisy of mislabeling pro death as pro choice, a hypocritical liberal favorite methodology.

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
America 1950 vs. America 2012
By Michael, on February 26th, 2012
Would you rather live in the America of 1950 or the America of 2012? Has the United States changed for the better over the last 62 years? Many fondly remember the 1950s and the 1960s as the "golden age" of America. We emerged from World War II as the wealthiest and most powerful nation on the planet. During that time period, just about anyone that wanted to get a job could find a job and the U.S. middle class expanded rapidly. Back in 1950, America was still considered to be a "land of opportunity" and the economy was growing like crazy. There was less crime, there was less divorce, the American people had much less debt and the world seemed a whole lot less crazy. Most of the rest of the world deeply admired us and wanted to be more like us. Of course there were a lot of things that were not great about America back in 1950, and there are many things that many of us dearly love that we would have to give up in order to go back and live during that time. For example, there was no Internet back in 1950. Instead of being able to go online and read the articles that you want to read, your news would have been almost entirely controlled by the big media companies of the day. So there are definitely some advantages that we have today that they did not have back in 1950. But not all of the changes have been for the better. America is in a constant state of change, and many are deeply concerned about where all of these changes are taking us.

There has never been any society in the history of the world that has been perfect. America was flawed in 1950 just as America is flawed today.

But that doesn't mean that we should not reflect on how much things have changed over the past 62 years.

So which version of America would you rather live in?

America 1950 vs. America 2012 - you make the call....

In 1950, a gallon of gasoline cost about 27 cents.

In 2012, a gallon of gasoline costs $3.69.

In 1950, you could buy a first-class stamp for just 3 cents.

In 2012, a first-class stamp will cost you 45 cents.

In 1950, more than 80 percent of all men were employed.

In 2012, less than 65 percent of all men are employed.

In 1950, the average duration of unemployment was about 12 weeks.

In 2012, the average duration of unemployment is about 40 weeks.

In 1950, the average family spent about 22% of its income on housing.

In 2012, the average family spends about 43% of its income on housing.

In 1950, gum chewing and talking in class were some of the major disciplinary problems in our schools.

In 2012, many of our public schools have been equipped with metal detectors because violence has become so bad.

In 1950, mothers decided what their children would eat for lunch.

In 2012, lunches are inspected by government control freaks to make sure that they contain the "correct foods" in many areas of the country. For example, one 4-year-old girl recently had her lunch confiscated by a "lunch monitor" because it did not meet USDA guidelines....

A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because the school told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the person who was inspecting all lunch boxes in the More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs - including in-home day care centers - to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

In 1950, the United States was #1 in GDP per capita.

In 2012, the United States is #13 in GDP per capita.

In 1950, redistribution of wealth was considered to be something that "the communists" did.

In 2012, the U.S. government redistributes more wealth than anyone else in the world.

In 1950, about 13 million Americans had manufacturing jobs.

In 2012, less than 12 million Americans have manufacturing jobs even though our population has more than doubled since 1950.

In 1950, the entire U.S. military was mobilized to protect the borders of South Korea.

In 2012, the U.S. borders with Mexico and Canada are wide open and now there are 1.4 million gang members living inside the United States.

In 1950, there were about 2 million people living in Detroit and it was one of the greatest cities on earth.

In 2012, there are about 700,000 people living in Detroit and it has become a symbol of what is wrong with the U.S. economy.

In 1950, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was slightly over the 200 mark.

In 2012, the Dow Jones Industrial Average is threatening to soar over the 13,000 mark.

In 1950, corporate taxes accounted for about 30 percent of all federal revenue.

In 2012, corporate taxes will account for less than 7 percent of all federal revenue.

In 1950, the median age at first marriage was about 22 for men and about 20 for women.

In 2012, the median age at first marriage is about 28 for men and about 26 for women.

In 1950, many Americans dressed up in suits and dresses before getting on an airplane.

In 2012, security goons look at the exposed forms of our women and our children before they are allowed to get on to an airplane.

In 1950, each retiree's Social Security benefit was paid for by 16 workers.

In 2012, each retiree's Social Security benefit is paid for by approximately 3.3 workers.

In 1950, many Americans regularly left their cars and the front doors of their homes unlocked.

In 2012, many Americans live with steel bars on their windows and gun sales are at record highs.

In 1950, the American people had a great love for the U.S. Constitution.

In 2012, if you are "reverent of individual liberty", you may get labeled as a potential terrorist by the U.S. government.

In 1950, the United States loaned more money to the rest of the world than anybody else.

In 2012, the United States owes more money to the rest of the world than anybody else.

In 1950, the U.S. national debt was about 257 billion dollars.

In 2012, the U.S. national debt is 59 times larger. It is currently sitting at a grand total of $15,435,694,556,033.29. Surely our children and our grandchildren will thank us for that.

One of the only things that is constant in life is change.

Whether we like it or not, America is going to continue to change.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, about 70 percent of all American adults were married.

Today, only about 50 percent of all American adults are married.

We are more independent, less religious, more addicted to entertainment and more doped up on prescription drugs than Americans used to be.

We have a higher standard of living than Americans in 1950 did, but we are also drowning in an ocean of debt unlike anything the world has ever seen.

For a lot more on how the U.S. economy is doing in 2012, just check out this list of interesting facts.

So is America 2012 a better version than America 1950 was?

Have we made progress since then or are we going backwards?

Please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts below....

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Texas is lucky to have Governor Rick Perry
Well, based on my (various) observations of several folks on here that claim to hail from Texas, Governor Perry - of Foot in Mouth Disease fame - may well be what they deserve as Governor ...

... sadly, of course

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Based on my (various) observations, having lived in Tx for a couple years, the cartoon that describes a cowboy hat sitting atop a pair of cowboy boots as "A Texan with all the s**t kicked out of him" isn't much of an exaggeration, lol. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Based on my (various) observations, having lived in Tx for a couple years, the cartoon that describes a cowboy hat sitting atop a pair of cowboy boots as "A Texan with all the s**t kicked out of him" isn't much of an exaggeration, lol. ;)

I know several people that live in Texas. Many of them are old friends of mine from when I was in the "spy business". All are good, solid people.

NOW, if one REALLY wants to see just how high "stuff" can be stacked one only has to look in the White House or the halls of congress.