Am I killing my diesel sprinter by letting it idle?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Most Class 8 trucks are AMERICAN engineered, and thay have some basic features the German's can't allow for their "world class" vehicles.

After all, they never know which peasant will be driving it tomorrow.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are also slowly plugging up the catalytic converter...The driver in my son in laws 2010 sprinter had the check engine light come on..the menz dealer checked it out, and the cat is 40% plugged...you think you can't afford a heater, the catalytic converter is $1400 plus labor for his sprinter at the menz dealer

As was pointed out, buy a big buddy..mine is on its 4th winter...

I was leaving the shipper last week and saw my muffler hanging down. I stopped and got a roll of pipe hanger. Strapped it back up in place. When I made it home I called around to see about replacing the muffle. The rear of the muffler had come loose from the tail pipe. Dealship- 1400 to 1800.
Called my shop that does all my exhaust work, took it in and I had more leaks than just the muffler. From the exhaust manafold to the rear bumper...
flex pipe- leaking
two cat. convertors- pluged
ex. pipe
muffler- rot
tailpipe- leaking
hangers
clamps/welds

All for 1,051

Got a 6 chamber muffler instead of 10 chamber- runs better with more flow from the smaller chamber muffler. Mine is an 05, not sure how it would compare to a 2010. Pays to look around.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not doubting what the tech told you, but 2000 rpm's that pretty high. I don't even have a cruising rpm that high heck I don't even accelerate that hard. 1/4 throttle is all she needs!! I would suspect any one driving for economy would not be having there engine spin that fast.

Yep, that's why I took it in to see about getting it lowered. Per-set from 1999 to 2000 rpm. But, with my new exhaust- not so loud now-lol. One thing for sure, it keeps the EGR cleaned out.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Turtle for some reason in big trucks that is how you set the idle. In all 3 of my Class 8 Freightliner's I drove that is how you did it. Flip the cruise toggle on and then bump the set/resume toggle till it got to your desired rpm.

It's not some reason ;), it is the PTO feature in the ECM that is turned on. ALL real trucks have it and I think the sprinter can have it turned on too. My GMC had the feature too, it had to be wired into the ECM harness but would do three different speeds.

On the truck I drive and one of the tractors, there are two of switches, one for the engine idle speed and one for the PTO speed. My little freightliner can be bumped up to 1100 and the Mack can go all the way up to 1700.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle for some reason in big trucks that is how you set the idle.
Doi. I completely forgot that Cheri drives a big truck. I was still thinking cars/vans/Sprinters when I posted that.

Igoravich

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I cannot afford an expensive heater right now, so I HAVE to let me sprinter idle sometimes for hours at a time to stay warm. But when I get up in the morning and take off, it smokes like crazy until it warms up again.
My question is, is this damaging my engine at all? After it reaches operating temperature, it doesn't smoke at all.
Anyone offer any suggestions or help as to this problem?
Thanks...
Jumbuck:confused:

Igoravich

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I bought one of those Chinese heaters that is just like the espar heater. I've been using it all winter and haven't had a single issue with it it took a few hours to install. I was just like you and was on a budget so decided to try it out and it hasn't let me down yet. I paid like a hundred sixty bucks on eBay for it and it took me six hours to install

Reactions: brokcanadian

Pepsipete

New Recruit
Mechanic
I’m cold climates like here in Alberta there is a lot of truck ,most that have a high idle feature using the cruise. But it seems your vehicle inc the sprinter are ordered that way or they just don’t have it.

Pepsipete

New Recruit
Mechanic
I’m cold climates like here in Alberta there is a lot of truck ,most that have a high idle feature using the cruise. But it seems your vehicle inc the sprinter are ordered that way or they just don’t have it. I’m talking light trucks.