Am I killing my diesel sprinter by letting it idle?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another option for the Sprinter is the OEM, "high idle" switch. Something that is included in all semi trucks, where you can idle it up.

The Sprinter option takes it to a prset 850rpms. It is most common on ambulance conversions, and those using the truck for other commerical purposes.

I believe the pricing on it is about $850.00 amd needs a dealer install, because it alters the ECM program.

I have that option, but it aint nowhere close to 850 rpm's. When I frist got this one I took it back to the dealership to see if we could reset the high idle, preset at 2,000 rpm's. He checked the ECM and we could only set the seconds it takes to reach 2,000 rpm. Later on in the week he called me. He said he call his help line on this, and was told the reason it is set at 2,000 rpm is due to the oil pressure needed to be high to correctly lube everything.

I also have the heater Aux coolant option, which is like the Espar but for the coolant. It will go into maint. mode when coolant temps reach 167 to 180, when it falls below this it kicks in.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I ordered the Variable High Idle Switch in my 2011 Sprinter. I can vary the idle from anywhere between 1,200 rpms and the engine's red line.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I have that option, but it aint nowhere close to 850 rpm's. When I frist got this one I took it back to the dealership to see if we could reset the high idle, preset at 2,000 rpm's. He checked the ECM and we could only set the seconds it takes to reach 2,000 rpm. Later on in the week he called me. He said he call his help line on this, and was told the reason it is set at 2,000 rpm is due to the oil pressure needed to be high to correctly lube everything.

I also have the heater Aux coolant option, which is like the Espar but for the coolant. It will go into maint. mode when coolant temps reach 167 to 180, when it falls below this it kicks in.

I am not doubting what the tech told you, but 2000 rpm's that pretty high. I don't even have a cruising rpm that high heck I don't even accelerate that hard. 1/4 throttle is all she needs!! I would suspect any one driving for economy would not be having there engine spin that fast.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not doubting what the tech told you, but 2000 rpm's that pretty high. I don't even have a cruising rpm that high heck I don't even accelerate that hard. 1/4 throttle is all she needs!! I would suspect any one driving for economy would not be having there engine spin that fast.

Yeah it is high....but is a known fact in the sprinter network...the engine is really racing...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For the T1N Sprinters (06 and earlier), the ECM high idle can be set between 1999 and 2000 rpm. That's yer choices.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
For the T1N Sprinters (06 and earlier), the ECM high idle can be set between 1999 and 2000 rpm. That's yer choices.

Wow that is HIGH, I would not want to be parked next to that van :eek: I can see where a espar would pay for itself in less than 1 winter, if you had to idle that high. I got a espar because I could not stand the ecm controlling the rpm's up and down all night when the outside temp was below 32 degrees. Drove me bonkers!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, I got an Espar heater not because I didn't want to idle or any of that, but because my first winter out here was without one. :D

Using an idle stick to raise the RPMs to 1200 or so still isn't quite as good as 2000, but it's better than 850. I usually let it idle for a few hours at either 850 or raise it to 1200 or so when charging batteries. At 2000 idle, it sounds like you're in a biplane or something.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
At 2000 idle, it sounds like you're in a biplane or something.

With no cat or muffler my exhaust sounds like a 747 taxing the runway @ 1200rpm"s!! Sounds like the thing is taking off @ 2000 :D I love the way it sounds when the vanes are closed on the turbo!!!!

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have found even in a big truck a down confronter queen size made into a taco shape will keep me warm to about 20 to 25 degrees. coldest its been for me so far has been 28 degrees. But that's just me. I've been insulating the sprinter still have a ways to go, but I might go it over Christmas.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Our 2012 Sprinter has the optional programmable high idle . . . anywhere from 850 on up RPMs. I'm sure it will be very useful.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I want to idle at higher RPMs, I turn on the cruise control, then tap the 'increase speed' toggle 7 or 8 times - does that not work on a Sprinter? :confused:

guido4475

Not a Member
On my 03 e-350, the engine rpm would go up and down, as needed, to keep the engine operating temperature normal.It worked awesome!The heat would cook you out, all the time, regardless of how cold it got, the same thing with my gasser,at an idle.

I have an Espar B-4 14,000 btu heater, have to install it yet, when I get home.And the extra battery,generator, hitch, basket,......so much to do...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When I want to idle at higher RPMs, I turn on the cruise control, then tap the 'increase speed' toggle 7 or 8 times - does that not work on a Sprinter? :confused:
No, it doesn't. Cruise Control isn't supposed to work at speeds of less than 25 MPH (40 km/h) as per the NHTSA safety guidelines (some vehicles still have the 35 MPH minimum). It has to do with how the cruise works, and is dependent on the transmission's speed sensor and other factors. Why yours engages at all while in neutral, I have no idea. Maybe it's a feature. You know, a feature.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
No, it doesn't. Cruise Control isn't supposed to work at speeds of less than 25 MPH (40 km/h) as per the NHTSA safety guidelines (some vehicles still have the 35 MPH minimum). It has to do with how the cruise works, and is dependent on the transmission's speed sensor and other factors. Why yours engages at all while in neutral, I have no idea. Maybe it's a feature. You know, a feature.

Turtle for some reason in big trucks that is how you set the idle. In all 3 of my Class 8 Freightliner's I drove that is how you did it. Flip the cruise toggle on and then bump the set/resume toggle till it got to your desired rpm.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle for some reason in big trucks that is how you set the idle. In all 3 of my Class 8 Freightliner's I drove that is how you did it. Flip the cruise toggle on and then bump the set/resume toggle till it got to your desired rpm.

sounds like they've integrated the ole fashion manual choke into the cruise...:confused:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In today's age of computer controls, it shouldn't be hard to engineer having the cruise adjust idle speeds. Two different sets of operating conditions, and the computer chooses which one it's meeting. If the truck has forward motion, then cruise doesn't engage below thirty-five mph. If the truck is in neutral and is not moving, then the cruise could set the idle speed.