Allot of DH !!!!!

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
For the last few days all my load opportunities have been with at least 300 miles 0f DH whats going on with that?I know there are closer units,just wondering.......:confused:

bryanvolsfan

Seasoned Expediter
Negotiate with them. I'd ask the dispatcher to approve me for something to DH that far to help off-set my gas. Never hurts to ask. I tell dispatch, I can't pick-up unless its 100 Miles or less, and I usually never go more than 40 or 50.

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
I usually do call them but i just find that the last few days its been allot more DH than usual,I know that there is units allot closer than me,i guess they don't want these runs for some reason if they gave me a bit more coffee money i would take them in a heartbeat.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
which would you rather do,sit and complain that you arten't being loaded,or dead head a couple hundred miles and keep the money flowingkof course if the loaded miles suck,or money per loaded mile doesnt fit the bill,might just as well stay home

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
It,s not only all the DH.The money sucks.Its been DH a few hundred miles for a 100 mile run whats up with THAT!!!!

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Do you mind if I ask who or whom (depending on where your from) you are Leased to?.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Crazy deadhead... had to go 22 miles to the shipper for an 889 loaded mile run. Current good fortune aside, yes, there are many jobs with too much deadhead. I often get offers with DH equal to or greater than loaded miles. I don't care how many DH miles or how they label it so long as the total pay is satisfactory. Shoot, I'll run a job for no pay if the FSC is insanely high to cover my minimum pay per mile.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What kind of unit do you drive?? The only reason i ask, is because since i started in this business almost 3 yrs ago, I have notice that Straight trcks and TT DH more then vans...now that being said, I personally will DH or Dry run on my own all the time without being paid at all to get to a better "freight lane"....as for DH'ing to a load, yea it has to make sense in the big picture..I am DH'ing 189 miles today to run 1405 miles...but that was my decision to do so because, the pay while not great is good, and it benefits me in that I will end up 60 miles from home when i need to be there.....

DH miles are part of the game, but they have to be to your benefit or don't take the run.....Remember, you are NOT and employee, and there is no such thing as "forced dispatch" in this business!! LOL...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I just don't understand why more emergency freight can't come from closer to where I'm sitting. I mean, it's emergency freight. If it's that big a deal, the shipper should be closer to me in the first place.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I just don't understand why more emergency freight can't come from closer to where I'm sitting. I mean, it's emergency freight. If it's that big a deal, the shipper should be closer to me in the first place.

That is PERFECT and my thoughts exactly. I get so irritated at shippers that they will not plan THEIR emergency around my schedule and going where I want to go. Jeez what is up with that?

This is all an interesting game and even the best computer model can only guess where the next emergency will happen.

transporter

Expert Expediter
caffee maybe if you call the shipper and explain to them that you find dh over 40 miles inconvient. maybe that might help

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Now why the heck did I not think of that transporter!

I have found though that if the load pays enough to run the dead head I get my best fuel mileage while hauling sail boat fuel.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't even sweat deadheading. I just chalk it up to a part of being in this business. You can't be all picky about every little detail when you are in this line of work. Now that being said, it all depends on what carrier you are leased on to. When I used to be leased on with Panther there were times when I was offered crazy deadheads to pick up very short loads going into bad areas and i'd take them; but then they'd keep on sending me short runs for days in a row. Now that I am working for Bolt, I will get a short run from time to time, but it is usually backed up with a more mor profitable run which makes the load worth while.

Thus it all depends on what carrier you are leased on with. Some carriers will give you a short run into a crappy area and then let you sit for a few days before giving you another crappy run. I don't buy into this bs that it's the drivers fault when they go out of business at certain larger carriers. It all boils down to are they running you or are they skipping over you to run other people. Peroid. There are no bad business decisions when you are the company favorite.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some drivers don't mind the DH , SOME won't dead head much at all. I M O it depends on what kind of LOAD OFFERS you get after D -H ing . Back in 06 there was a almost 6 month stretch that i DH ed about 1000 miles a week BUT picked up between 2200 to 2500 loaded miles a week at $ 1.35 a loaded mile . LOVED it, then a year 07 later the company i was with couldn't get ME 2 loads a week in STR-8 truck and darn near bankrupt me. So I M O you need change your game plan daily NOW 2 stay in business.

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
Thank guys for the info i guess I'm not the only one hurrying and waiting i did get a nice loan this Friday dropping off Monday.I guess it's the nature of the business,if the loads don't make sense don't take them thanks for the info.