Air Tabs

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I put the AirTabs on today. They went on nice and easy on the sides. I am not too happy with the roof. My roof is not smooth on top. I have a feeling that I am going to end up buying about 30 more and redoing the roof somehow. 25 for the roof and 5 extra. I just had enough to do the truck, no spares.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I ended up pulling the air tabs off our roof because I got tired of replacing them. Like yours, our roof is not perfectly flat. If the trees don't take the air tabs out, the water does. It collects in the low spots on the roof and soaks away the effectiveness of the adhesive.

A solution exists for the water issue. We could attach a flat strip that runs across the roof that would provide a true flat surface and raise the air tabs just slightly enough to keep them out of the small ponds of water that form on the truck roof. It is easier to just pull that tabs off and forget about them on the roof. No noticeable difference in fuel economy or truck stability has been seen since we did this.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't have air tabs so this is just a question. Could a person use a strong adhesive that comes in a caulk tube type application like liquid nails but meant for the outdoors?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't have air tabs so this is just a question. Could a person use a strong adhesive that comes in a caulk tube type application like liquid nails but meant for the outdoors?
Sure, but that would almost certainly damage the paint if you were to try and remove them, while the adhesive on Air Tabs will not. Might not make any difference on the roof of a box, tho.

The Air Tab adhesive is actually very good, but the Air Tabs themselves are not pliable at all and will only stick to a dead-flat surface that is extremely clean of dirt and grease. The last section of a Sprinter behind that seam starts curving ever so slightly, making the surface not-flat, and thus Air Tabs will not stay stuck there. They need to be moved forward a couple of inches, actually about an inch farther forward than the ideal, but at least they will stick.

I've had mine on for, what, 2 years, 3 years, I forget, but I lost one a couple of weeks after I installed them when a truck washer hit it juuuust right with a long-handled brush, and I lost another one about 6 months ago for the same reason. Other than that, I've still got 'em all, which actually surprised me.

But before installing them, I cleaned the van with a strong degreaser, installed the Air Tabs, and then re-waxed the van.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
joe and phil you may want to attend the 2011 2 day worksop at expo given by jeannie on...."the proper preparation of roof surfaces of different roofing materials and the attachment of air-tabs". :D

if you cannot wait i have one word suggestion.......u-glue.

blacktruck

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Air Tabs and some questions about them.....

For those of you that have them installed, what are the savings or benefit of using them? Did you test your mileage before installing and again after installation of the Air Tabs? Do they have any noticeable affect on the handling or other characteristics of your truck? Have you personally seen any benefit of having them installed that is verifiable?
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Re: Air Tabs and some questions about them.....

For those of you that have them installed, what are the savings or benefit of using them? Did you test your mileage before installing and again after installation of the Air Tabs? Do they have any noticeable affect on the handling or other characteristics of your truck? Have you personally seen any benefit of having them installed that is verifiable?
Stay safe out there.
Ken
Savings is better fuel mileage. There are other benefits. With a van or any smaller vehicle, they give you better handling in the wind, especially when big truck passes you by. Because they reduce drag at the rear of the vehicle, they keep road spray down and out of your mirrors more, and more off the windshields of those behind you. They also keep the back doors much cleaner. If you have a roll-up door back there, you'll appreciate not having snow packed on the rear door, only to have it melt and rain on you when you're loading and unloading.

As for being verifiable, here's an article in EO's ExpediteNOW magazine, coincidentally written by some other guy named Ken.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
If they do help on gas mileage, can anybody provide real world figures on the type of vehicle they are on?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We got them put on. I want everyone out there thinking about them to learn from my stupid mistake. WATCH OUT FOR YOU DOOR HINGES!!! Man, what an idiot. My doors would not open all the way. We had to remove several. There is my free, don't do the same stupid, learn from my mistake, tip for the day.

The truck rides MUCH better with them on. It handles "wakes" from other trucks far better and holding steady in the wind is much easier. Rain spray is greatly reduced. Have no information on fuel mileage. Been running reefer loads only since they went on.

Phil, I thought about putting a flat surface to attach them AFTER I put them on. Great minds think alike, eh? :D I might look into that next summer. I have a few things in mind that might do the trick.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We got them put on. I want everyone out there thinking about them to learn from my stupid mistake. WATCH OUT FOR YOU DOOR HINGES!!! Man, what an idiot. My doors would not open all the way. We had to remove several. There is my free, don't do the same stupid, learn from my mistake, tip for the day.

The truck rides MUCH better with them on. It handles "wakes" from other trucks far better and holding steady in the wind is much easier. Rain spray is greatly reduced. Have no information on fuel mileage. Been running reefer loads only since they went on.

Phil, I thought about putting a flat surface to attach them AFTER I put them on. Great minds think alike, eh? :D I might look into that next summer. I have a few things in mind that might do the trick.

Just being more comfortable driving is worth it...not as much fighting the wheel...IF any fuel savings, that is just a bonus payoff...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just being more comfortable driving is worth it...not as much fighting the wheel...IF any fuel savings, that is just a bonus payoff...

The increased "comfort level" is very noticeable. I would be willing to be that the ones I put up on the roof don't make through the winter. I have to think this out and come up with a better idea for putting them up there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The increased "comfort level" is very noticeable. I would be willing to be that the ones I put up on the roof don't make through the winter. I have to think this out and come up with a better idea for putting them up there.

and Mrs Layout? she approves?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
and Mrs Layout? she approves?

Very much so. She noticed it right away, even when I was driving. The first 20 miles or so we were on a road with one lane in each direction. (M50 headed west out of Monroe to Dundee) 55MPH speed limit. Lots of trucks. Our truck was rock steady as the "blew" by us. It used to rock and roll. No more. She was even more pleased when I talked to her after she drove all night.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very much so. She noticed it right away, even when I was driving. The first 20 miles or so we were on a road with one lane in each direction. (M50 headed west out of Monroe to Dundee) 55MPH speed limit. Lots of trucks. Our truck was rock steady as the "blew" by us. It used to rock and roll. No more. She was even more pleased when I talked to her after she drove all night.

Great to hear...if mommas happy......everyones happy...*LOL*

Weady2Wun

Seasoned Expediter
The textured roof where the Air Tabs are to be placed needs to be sanded. Then you can clean with alcohol and attach the Air Tabs that are specifically made for the roof. We drove our old truck for 1 1/2 years with no problems of them coming off.

Started to put Air Tabs on our new truck and wished I read the post regarding the hinges First!!!!! Got about 12 on before we discovered the problem :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The textured roof where the Air Tabs are to be placed needs to be sanded. Then you can clean with alcohol and attach the Air Tabs that are specifically made for the roof. We drove our old truck for 1 1/2 years with no problems of them coming off.

Started to put Air Tabs on our new truck and wished I read the post regarding the hinges First!!!!! Got about 12 on before we discovered the problem :eek:

LOL!!! I tried!! :p