Air Tabs

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm spooked. A friend of mine just got nailed hard at a scale for things most truckers would consider Mickey Mouse by a scale cop that was unduly harsh. The result is the driver is now nailed with CSA points. In the new world of CSA score keeping, nothing can be left to chance.

What does this have to do with Air Tabs? Air Tabs add width to the truck body. There is a legal limit to truck body width. I'll be measuring ours soon to make sure it is in compliance with the Air Tabs on.

Comments?

That WOULD be Micky Mouse to say the least. I guess I will have to check mine. I wonder what the "eco-nuts" would have to say about that? Anything that save fuel is good. Eh?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The driver was not written up for Air Tabs making the truck too wide. It was for other violations. But given his report, this cop was looking to write him up for something. I'm just worried that Air Tabs might provide it. That's why I will research this question and am asking for any info here people may wish to share.

On our truck, Diane and I have passed Level 1 inspections with the Air Tabs on, but in the face of a determined scale cop, that means nothing.

Reactions: 1 person

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The driver was not written up for Air Tabs making the truck too wide. It was for other violations. But given his report, this cop was looking to write him up for something. I'm just worried that Air Tabs might provide it. That's why I will research this question and am asking for any info here people may wish to share.

On our truck, Diane and I have passed Level 1 inspections with the Air Tabs on, but in the face of a determined scale cop, that means nothing.

I know that some scale cops are just out to get drivers for every little thing. I have not had a level one with them on yet. Don't they allow overlength for those goofy looking rounded tail caps?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't they allow overlength for those goofy looking rounded tail caps?
Yes they do. And they don't even call it "over length", they simply exclude it from the measurements. Up to 5 feet behind the trailer is allowed.

I'm spooked.
Everything spooks you, Phil. Now you're freaking out about Air Tabs adding to the width of the vehicle? For someone who researches the pее out of everything, you'd think you'd include the FMCSA Rules and Regulations in the research.

Part 658.16: Exclusions from length and width determinations. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

§658.16 Exclusions from length and width determinations.

(a) Vehicle components not excluded by law or regulation shall be included in the measurement of the length and width of commercial motor vehicles.

(b) The following shall be excluded from either the measured length or width of commercial motor vehicles, as applicable:

(b)(1) Rear view mirrors, turn signal lamps, handholds for cab entry/egress, splash and spray suppressant devices, load induced tire bulge;

(b)(2) All non-property-carrying devices, or components thereof—
(b)(2)(ii) That do not extend more than 3 inches beyond each side or the rear of the vehicle,

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Everything spooks you, Phil.

Not true.

Now you're freaking out about Air Tabs adding to the width of the vehicle?

Concerned? yes. Spooked? My word. Freaking out? Incorrect characterization.

For someone who researches the pее out of everything, you'd think you'd include the FMCSA Rules and Regulations in the research.

True. But when Diane and I are on a long run, operating in drive/sleep mode, it is easier to voice concerns and get answers here. Thank you for the information.

Spooked no more.

The event behind my "spooked" moment was a call I received from a good friend whose CSA points make this excellent expediter borderline in the eyes of the law and his carrier. He drives fleet owner trucks and all but one of his violations in the last three years were equipment violations on fleet owner trucks; and some of them are things I would have never thought about. What happened to him could have happened to me if Diane and I were driving the same trucks.

I'm not going into detail because it is a small world in expediting and I don't want to reveal the driver's name by reference to known circumstances.

Anyway, he got nailed yesterday with what I consider to be a Mickey Mouse violation, such that it poses no safety risk and could easily be repaired once known. The repair happened quickly but not before a citation was issued.

The thing that spooks me is this citation, for a minor violation, may put my friend over the CSA points edge and force him out of the business. He's a good man, good friend and good driver who has served our carrier and customers very well for many years. Now I see him fearing for his career because of a minor equipment violation on a fleet owner's truck. That spooks me and reminds us all that no expediter can afford violations of any kind, no matter how minor, in the new CSA point regime.

After receiving his call, my mind raced through our truck, bumper to bumper. Air tabs came to mind as a possible violation that I had not considered before. It was not the Air Tabs that spooked me but CSA 2010.

It plain sucks that the rules were changed not to start scoring points forward under the new rules, but to go back three years and score old-rule violations under the new rules. It's like giving you a ticket on Friday for running a stop sign on Wednesday when the sign was not erected until Thursday.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OMG Phil keeps going on and on about CSA 2010... he has nothing to fear unless he is a bad driver.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or has a little bad luck.

eb

Or an inspector that is mad at his wife. I can see that there could be a problem with abuse under 2010. I had a problem with an inspection ONCE when I was driving for an owner.

I was in California and Mrs. Layoutshooter was driving. She got called in for a level one. We had been having no problems of any kind. All of our gauges were perfect as well. I was in the sleeper, not able to get out due to the 10 hour rule.

The inspector "CLAIMED" we had a bad break chamber. The one he "CLAIMED" was bad was just replaced a month earlier. We both saw how the gauges reacted when that chamber was bad. We were put out of service and not allowed to move as you can imagine. We were handed a list of repair shops, was told to call one, and get it fixed. The officer said something about this placed were the ONLY shop "authorized" to come onto the that scale facility.

I cannot PROVE that we were "messed" with but I believe that we were. Assuming we were, those would have been 2010 points that were NOT earned. It is likely to happen.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Never heard of a repair shop that was Authorized. I would have called up CHP and asked them.