Air Tabs

Weady2Wun

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone know how to take the Air Tabs off relatively easy? I know they will not be able to be reused and I will need to buy more to make up for my mistake.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Anyone know how to take the Air Tabs off relatively easy? I know they will not be able to be reused and I will need to buy more to make up for my mistake.
Start at the pointed end and slowly and gently pry upwards. Don't use a metal spatula or anything like that. Use your hands, or a plastic spatula - anything that won't scratch the paint. Some of the tape may stay on the vehicle. If so, WD-40, Gunk or any degreaser or adhesive remover will get it off. Be careful not to get any degreasing agents on any adjacent air tabs that you don't want removed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeanie & I took them off a truck on which the owner [ a "we don't need to read the stinkin manual" man! ] installed them backwards.
We used a blowdryer to soften the adhesive, and a plastic scraper - there was very little adhesive to remove, and [isopropyl] alcohol worked fine.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
I did some searching for double sided tapes for those that are interested and came across this tape for the tabs. It is expensive though - @$27 per roll .5" x 10 yds.

"3M 06394 Automotive Attachment Tape is a .090-inch (90 mil) thick medium-density gray acrylic foam tape with high performance acrylic adhesives on both sides and a red release liner. The tape uses automotive OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) approved acrylic foam core and adhesive technology. 3M 6394 is characterized by high peel and shear adhesion, high internal strength, high conformability and excellent plasticizer resistance. Designed for reliable attachment of a wide variety of automotive exterior and interior trim including running boards, ground effects, claddings, rocker panel moldings, spoilers, wheel flares, bumper trim and other larger or heavier automotive trim components."

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I did some searching for double sided tapes for those that are interested and came across this tape for the tabs. It is expensive though - @$27 per roll .5" x 10 yds.

"3M 06394 Automotive Attachment Tape is a .090-inch (90 mil) thick medium-density gray acrylic foam tape with high performance acrylic adhesives on both sides and a red release liner. The tape uses automotive OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) approved acrylic foam core and adhesive technology. 3M 6394 is characterized by high peel and shear adhesion, high internal strength, high conformability and excellent plasticizer resistance. Designed for reliable attachment of a wide variety of automotive exterior and interior trim including running boards, ground effects, claddings, rocker panel moldings, spoilers, wheel flares, bumper trim and other larger or heavier automotive trim components."

Thanks, I will look to see if I can find less than 10 yards. I know a place I can check.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Very similar to the 3M 06394 tape, although a lot less expensive, is the 3M 03609 molding tape (pictured below) that's found at places like Lowes, Walmart and Autozone. It's the same gray tape with the red release liner and acrylic foam backing, just not quite as thick, and has a urethane foam core instead of the acrylic foam core of the automotive OEM tape . I use it quite a bit. I have my Scanguage II and the Garmin attached to the dash with it. 1/2" x 5 feet will run about $6.00.

autogeek_2116_68535246

There's also the 3M Scotch Weather-Resistant Exterior & Interior Mounting Tape, Super Heavy Duty tape, which is exactly the same thing as the molding tape above, except it's 1" wide by 37.5 feet long, and can be had for $22 at Overstock.com. It's model number is 4011.

Any of these three tapes should work on exterior, rough surfaces, as long as the surfaces are clean, of course, including the roof of a truck. They are all made of the same gray, weather-resistant backing. It's pretty kewl stuff, actually. But you should have no trouble finding it, or something very similar, at Home Depot, Lowes or Autozone, places like that.

transporter

Expert Expediter
i noticed a slite mpg improvement. but a major improvement in safety. passing semi's dont blow me all over the road. i highly recommend. layout i m glad i dont have barn doors because i know i would have done same thing.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
i noticed a slite mpg improvement. but a major improvement in safety. passing semi's dont blow me all over the road. i highly recommend. layout i m glad i dont have barn doors because i know i would have done same thing.

Zach, did you paint yours pink???

transporter

Expert Expediter
no pink that is your trademark i wouldnt want to be sued.
i did paint some black for around my bumper and some silver for my toolboxes.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
no pink that is your trademark i wouldnt want to be sued.
i did paint some black for around my bumper and some silver for my toolboxes.

Just had to check.
I'm glad you've noticed the improved handling. I suppose you waited so long to get them so that you'd really appreciate the difference :p

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
gotta go i was waiting for them to come out with turn signal airtabs. You know the whole side of truck blinking
What a great safety feature. :p Of course someone would install them backwards and the left side would blink for a right turn. Probably wouldn't be such a great idea after all.:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mine are lavender/blue, which is another thing I like: they are easily painted, [with Krylon Fusion for plastic], adding a bit of color to the truck, without the expense of graphics. :)
PS It's only been a few months, but I haven't lost one from the roof yet....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine are lavender/blue, which is another thing I like: they are easily painted, [with Krylon Fusion for plastic], adding a bit of color to the truck, without the expense of graphics. :)
PS It's only been a few months, but I haven't lost one from the roof yet....

We have lost 3 off of the roof so far. It has only been a couple of weeks. My fault to be sure. As soon as I say that the roof was not level I should have stopped and "invented" as flat surface to work on.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm spooked. A friend of mine just got nailed hard at a scale for things most truckers would consider Mickey Mouse. The scale cop would be considered unduly harsh. The result is the driver is now nailed with CSA points, some of which he might be able to beat, but not without a fight. In the new world of CSA score keeping, nothing can be left to chance.

What does this have to do with Air Tabs? Air Tabs add width to the truck body. There is a legal limit to truck body width. I'll be measuring ours soon to make sure it is in compliance with the Air Tabs on.

Comments?

Last edited: