additives

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Do you put the diesel additive in everytime you fuel-up? Whether it be Howes, Power Service, Lucas or what ever. Or do you add it every other fuel-up, every third fuel-up etc.:+ :+ :+

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use Howe's and add it about every other time with temps above freezing and every time below freezing.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I use it in every tank, my prefered brand is power service. I use the silver bottle in the spring,summer,fall and the white bottle in the winter time

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Just watch with power service products.According to them this product cant be stored below freezing temps.This is the white bottle that you use in the winter.Also be carefull where you buy it from.Make sure you buy it where they sell alot of it and fresh stock in.I got some at tractor supply last year and my fuel gelled on me tanks where full.When i contacted power service they asked where i had bought it i told them.And according to the numbers off the bottle this stuff was over a year old and that they claim is the reason my fuel gelled.They claim if you set a white bottle of it in freezing temps it can start to freeze.Thats why i switched to howes.PLus Howes has the gurantee if you gell we pay the tow.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use Howes, every tank, every time. If I only put it in every other time, it doesn't work, every other time.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
As far as Howes paying the tow, you might want to read the label on the bottle more carefully. It refers to fleets using it consistantly.

When I drove a S/T I had Howes in my tanks and gelled up in Mi. Limped into Cummins dealer in Novi, they added power service to the fuel changed fuel filters and 30 min. later I was rolling down the road with no further problems.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ahh.. those little asterisks leading to teeny tiny words that you need an electron microscope to read. Figures they won't back their product when used by just one of dem small company o/o types.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The owner/mechanic of my truck told me to put in transmission fluid, he said any cheap ATF is good. I've been adding it, every other tank, and no problems so far - any opinions?

FireGears

Expert Expediter
It depends, Cheri,

What are you driving and what motor/engine
does it have..???

STAY FROSTY ... :+ :+

plus ...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ATF - Alcohol, tobacco, firearms! Seems like a dangerous combination to take on the road.

The ATF may have been recommended for it's lubricating properties. I have heard of people using light vegetable oil in their tanks. I guess this is to make up for the lubricity lost from low sulfur fuel.

As a long time Minnesota based trucker, Power Service was the most commonly used fuel additive. This was before low sulfur fuel and was used mostly for its anti-waxing properties. In the winter Power Service was added at every fill. Always carried an extra gallon or two and a set of fuel filters.

Another winter time product I used was Air Guard. It was mostly made up of isopropyl alcohol but did contain some lubricant for the air system.
Wasn't bad with a couple of green olives and a few drops of vermouth either.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
When i lived in Alaska I always used automatic transmission fluid. And every other truck owner I know used it. Especially in the winter when we had to use #1 diesel fuel. I also used marvel mystery oil in the truck and in my airplane. :+ :+ :+

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Dpea - I kinda figured that'd be the reply, but it's good to hear it. I've been adding ATF with about every other tank - should I add it to every tank, when the temperatures drop?
When I drove t/t, it was a company truck, maintenance wasn't my concern, (other than getting it to a shop), so a lot of this is new to me. Sure wish I had an owners' manual, sigh.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
myself i like ace's II, add it to each fill up treat number of gallons i add

on my western star when i 1st started using it gave me extra 90 miles a fill up

on my 03 sprinter used it from day one sprinter got 21 mpg
before and after up to 25 and 28 mpg

on my 07 sprinter didn't use it for first tank got 15 mpg
after treating it with ace'sII up to 18 to 21 mpg
as long as i keep my foot out of it
if you would lilke more info
e mail me and give you more info on it

sonseeker

Seasoned Expediter
If using ATF...what amount would you add to your fuel?? and is that the only additive that you would add??

dpea9

Expert Expediter
I used 16ozs for every 100 gals. Thats what the old timers told me to use. Alot of the guys used 2 cycle oil instead of ATF. I don't know about using ATF or 2 cycle in these new engines. The engines we had where the old 671,8V71 Detroits the 3306 Cat and The Big cam Cummins.:+ :+

dpea9

Expert Expediter
it was 32oz per 100 gal. not 16oz. same ratio for 2 cycle oil. yes I added it every time I fueled and always had a gallon of 9.1.1:+ :+