Acorn and the Census

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There will be a short form and a long form. You could get either. The Questions Planned for the 2010 Census (and the American Community Survey) been submitted to Congress, two years in advance as required by law.

The American Community Survey (link posted by the bird) is administered by the Census Bureau, but is now part of the long form. Like she said, it's none of their business. It is mandatory to answer it, tho.

Some of the questions are just unreal:
In the last week, did this person do any work for pay (even just one hour)?
Employer
Place of work and distance
How many vehicles you have
when your home was built
How many rooms
how many bedrooms
how many bathrooms
flush toilets
refrigerator
stove or range etc.
type of heat for home
telephone service
Do you have a business in this residence?
Monthly rent or payment
last month’s electricity bill amount
last month’s gas bill amount
cost of water and sewer for the last 12 months
Do you have a mortgage or financial interest in this home?
Do you have a second mortgage or home equity loan on this residence?
How much is your mortgage payment (per month)?
Does your mortgage payment include real estate taxes?
Does your mortgage payment include hazard insurance premiums?
For each person in the household:
Is this person CURRENTLY covered by any health insurance of health coverage plan?
In the past 12 months, did the person get married, Widowed, Divorced?
How many times has this person been parried?
In what year did this person last get married?
VA service-connected disability rating?

These are a far cry from establishing population and representation. These are questions that are asked to obtain information for predictive purposes and social services (like the redistribution of wealth. You've got 2 1/2 baths? Most only have one. You'll have to pay a tax on one of 'em so we can give someone else another flusher). They want to know if you're fertile, too, as data about fertility are used to predict the number of children who will need adoptive homes under the Child Welfare Act and to predict the level of need for family planning services for the child-bearing population, not to mention how many flusher Welfare housing should have. The reasons behind each of the questions are outlined in the first link above.

On the last Census I got the long form, but it wasn't nearly as long or invasive as this one's gonna be. I answered the first few questions, the same questions that have been on every Census since 1850:
Number in household
Name
Sex
Race
Marital Status

Everything else had N/A written for the answer. Never heard a word. Those are the only questions I've ever answered on a Census.

However...

United States Code
TITLE 13 - CENSUS
CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AND PENALTIES
SUBCHAPTER II - OTHER PERSONS

Section 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.

(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Fine, hit me a $100 fine. :D

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Census data thickens the witches' brew of social engineers. Is any facet of our lives free from Big Brother? Free from taxation?

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Recently On Another Thread I stated that I would Not Fill It Out But I Would send them their Return Envelope Back (Empty) But Now I Decided that I will Fill Out My Name How Many People Live in My House and My Age Only and NOT Answer the Other Questions as They have Nothing to do with the Original Census which is for Determining a Population!! So Hit me with a $100.00 Fine, I will Still Refuse to Answer those Other Questions.. If The Census would be sent By Any Other Than Acorn Then I Might Answer them, But as Long as Acorn is Involved in it in anyway shape or form, All they will get from me is what I Stated!! :(

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't forget that along with that $100 fine they put your name into the IRS audit list and who knows how many other punitive things. It is unbelievable we've gotten to this point. Apparently there should have been a fairly significant purging about 3/4 of a century ago to keep this nation on a more proper track.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Screw the irs and their audits, i have been auditted by them more times then i care to think about in my 45 yrs of work and will be for a few after i quit working...i don't care at all..the work on the basis tha most people fear them or what they can do to you.....will if you have covered your bases from the start, there ain't much they can do.

As for this cenus, they will get nothing more then the basic info from me.....i can easily afford the fine and penalty ...it ain't a problem...i'll be ****ed if i will feed info to this government mandated bs trap.......

our government is sooo out of control and acting as "statist" that the line between the states right, the peoples rights and the lawful rights of the fed government has become soo blurred that nothing that has happens in this couple of yrs and most recently as barry as tried to ram his b/s agenda down our throats at a record pace surprises me.

One can only hope that the people wise up and revolt and take back out government.......the time has come and barrys populity is beginning to slip as is his power on the hill ......maybe will will see the conservatives finally wake up....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone know just where the authorization for a census is? Perhaps that would also say just what they are allowed to ask.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone know just where the authorization for a census is? Perhaps that would also say just what they are allowed to ask.

I don't give a HOOT WHAT they ask or threaten. They only get two names and a "Nunja" If they want to fine me they have to come get it in person. It has become KMA time. I REFUSE. They have only two choices, ignore me or come after me. I really don't care which. It IS time to stand up to these thugs.
:mad:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The Constitution authorizies the Census, here is the article of the Constitution:

Constitutional Provisions

The decennial census of 1790 began an unbroken series of nationwide population counts called for by Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution:

Representatives ... shall be apportioned among the several states ... according to their respective Numbers which shall be determined by addition to the whole Number of Free Persons ... [and] three-fifths of all other persons ... . The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of ten Years, in such manner as they shall by law direct

It was strictly a "head count" of those people living in certain area that was controlled with boundaries so that the number of elected reps could be determined, nothing more........then later they (whichever party was in power at the time, but mostly used my encumbents) started screwing with the bounderies so to set them to their advsntage, and we now have what is called "gerry mandering"....

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if up front you just sent in the blank form, signed along with the money order for the fine if they would be ok with....;)

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
I wonder if up front you just sent in the blank form, signed along with the money order for the fine if they would be ok with....;)

Probably pay off a good portion of the public debt if we all just sent in blank form with a $100 check. That would be interesting.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Leo,

"... in such manner as they shall by law direct."

Is the part that judges have interpreted to mean that Congress can pass laws that allow for more than mere headcounts.

Read this one:Census.pdf