A question for FXCC contractors and drivers

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
Now I am not looking to cause any arguments or disagreements but I was curious about something, in the course of the average week how often do you folks have a customer comment at your delivery,"I had no idea Fed Ex did this type of work". Is it 1 in 10,1 in 3 or somewhere in between.I am prompted to ask only because in the short time I was at my last delivery the comment was made 3 times in 20 minuets.So it just started me wondering....Thanks

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>Now I am not looking to cause any arguments or disagreements
>but I was curious about something, in the course of the
>average week how often do you folks have a customer comment
>at your delivery,"I had no idea Fed Ex did this type of
>work". Is it 1 in 10,1 in 3 or somewhere in between.I am
>prompted to ask only because in the short time I was at my
>last delivery the comment was made 3 times in 20 minuets.So
>it just started me wondering....Thanks

I'm not sure what is happening in your post. Is the customer commenting to you or is FCC sending you a comment?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We had so many customers ask us questions we asked FedEx Custom Critical for brochures on the different divisions and what they do. The brochure breaks down T-Val to Express and we have given many of these out with the little magnets with phone numbers. We our the visual contact for the customer and as such a great marketing tool. With our FedEx apparel we usually make a great first impression.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I used to have people flag me down in the van and try to give me packages.. LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
It has been our experiance that many first time users of FDCC services think we are the same as Ground or Freight. Many also think that FDCC owns the trucks since the other divisions of the FedEx family do.

M

Mcarriers

I have always said that we are FedEx's best kept secret. I suppose we're just not a big enough part of the family to spend money on for advertising.

Mello

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'm not with fedex but mc is telling the truth you never see cc on the tv like you do the others. A driver can be a company's best or worst salesperson imo.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Sorry Red, I misread your post 3-4 times and couldn't decipher it until the others answered. I agree. We often get the same comments, particularly from the smaller companies that usually use their local P and D companies.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
I stopped at McDonald's once. When I came back to the van, there was a overnight envelope under the wiper blades. I found a FedEx box about 10 minutes later.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I think the real question here is as drivers is there anything we can do to be better representatives of FedEx Custom Critical? Do you do your part to let the customer know of all the services we offer?

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
I agree with Linda if the big guys aren't going to tell people about us,then it becomes our responseability to make sure paople do no forget where that frght came from and who to call when they have something that needs to be moved.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At every pickup and delivery, the last thing we say before leaving is "Thank you for using FedEx." I once said that to a guy who had his back turned to me as he was closing the dock door and I was walking out. He froze in place for about ten seconds, turned to me and said, "In eleven years working here, no one has ever said that before." I assured him that we were grateful for the business and thanked him again. It is little things like that that distinguish us from the competition and help shippers and consignees remember who moved their freight.

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
You are correct it is the little things that matter.Personaly I am a great believer in the power of saying "thankyou".As a wise man once told me "doughnut diplomacey" or in our case hats and coffee mugs work just as well. The shipper already knows who we are, but so many of the people at the other end have no idea,as shown by the person who got me started on this. The FXCC magnets are the simplest thing and they are free for the asking. As I said I like hats and mugs, they are a cheap write off and they keep the company name out in front of the people. There is nothing like going to make a pick up at a place that was a stranger when you delivered to them and left a thankyou. When that happens you know something was accomplished. As thinks slow down either due to season or econamy we can not count on the sales staff to feed us we all need to be "proactive". If it helps the company then it helps us..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We always try to remember to thank the customer for thier business. I makes a very good impression. We somehow missed that there was things, magnets etc, to pass out. A great oversight on our part. You would think that FedEx would push these items when you go there for training etc. A great oversight on thier part. We will look for those items on the extra net. Is that where you get them? Hey Bob and Linda, how you guys doin? Layoutshooter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
> I stopped at McDonald's once. When I came back to the van,
>there was a overnight envelope under the wiper blades. I
>found a FedEx box about 10 minutes later.

ROFL
:p :p :p
I only hope the carrier I drive for never gets so big that I find envelopes left on the windshield! (But if I do, I'll follow your excellent example);)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I guess being an E unit, we just dont get the same recognition as the smaller units.the only time I've ever had the statement about not knowing custom critical did this kind of work,only happened when I either pulled a flat bed,or reefer trailer,and I have a friend with Passport that also gets that statement,didn't know you did this kind of work.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had both "Can you take my package now" and "Where the xxx is my xxxxxxx package". One lady was so mad and didn't believe me she demanded my name and wrote down the trucks license plate to the tune of "I am going to report you".. I said "fine with me ,the phone number is on the door" . She then called CC and I could listen to her screaming at some poor dispatcher.

Doug how it going ,havn't talked to you in a while.

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
Magnets you can get on the extra net. Literature you might be able to get if you nag your CC.Hats you can get at the uniform link on the extra net and better hats are in Green. Other stuff,pens ,mugs etc come from the FX company store on line...There you can find all kinds of gimme items....

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
We have been asked if we could take an envelope and then where was the nearest drop box. We were in an unfamiliar area so we couldn't help. Doesn't happen too often on the dock, but there is still some confusion with us and Freight or Ground. Got to spend a week in Green for a corporate photo shoot a few months ago and hobnob with a few FedEx Memphis types. Over lunch we were asked what we thought we could do as drivers to further the name recognition. Several things like those mentioned above came up and I asked when FECC was going to be on Denny Hamlin's car, like Express, Freight, Ground and Kinko's. The response was "when we become a billion dollar gross division. But, up until recently, it was just plain never." My thought is that it would help us become a billion dollar company sooner if the millions of people who follow NASCAR every week could see our name and a commercial or two. Just another example of backward corporate thinking. "When you get big enough, we'll advertise you!"