Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hyped up Drama, Alligator feeding rude dudes who brake for turtles...LOL
Excuse me?

turtle-crossing.jpg

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quickie bump, to go with the companion thread that was just started. I tried to watch again this past Tuesday, but-- it can't be done. Nobody can be that bad-- can they???

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes they can - the last pair of episodes were too funny. I think then writers were writing for some lame comedy show or aml.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Quickie bump, to go with the companion thread that was just started. I tried to watch again this past Tuesday, but-- it can't be done. Nobody can be that bad-- can they???

Last 2 episodes......Sheeeez....

1st off.....Goofball with attitude & long hair tried to haul a 9,000 lb Truck on a trailer that was equipped with 2 3500 lb axles. Then he was shocked when the axle brackets busted while going down the road.

Second.....Did anybody catch what the little girl said there at the end of the second show after delivering the Pig and the Small Cow??? She said she was "Tired" after driving for 15 hours a day for 3 days in a row.

Hello FMSCA and State Troopers from the states she drove through!!!!! She was HAULING Livestock "For Hire", Interstate Commerce!!! C'mon DOT Authorities!! The Illegal Haulers are sitting there Painting a Big Red Bullseye on themselves right here on National TV for ya....................

What do you guys think would happen to any of you if you were caught driving for 15 hours a day "For Hire"???

And before the snotty one, I MEAN, the <snorty> one tries to dispute this, she WAS over 10K. Her Ford F250 is probably 8900 GVWR, and that Livestock Trailer probably had 2 4,000 lb axles making her a "For Hire" combo vehicle running down the road well over the 10K Logging Requirements.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Her and Jared (Jar Head?) Both are for hire operations over 10K..

Neither have marked trucks, DOT numbers, or MC numbers I'd bet.

Maybe they are waiting till the season fanal to sink their boats at the chicken coop?

The old fart with the under rated trailer is the DOT's wet dream. I don't think even his new trailer had enough axle under it. The goose might have helped shift the weight to the truck.

He also forgot/broke the golden rule. If there are extra charges. Collect them BEFORE the freight is off your truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Brisco
I don't know if you noticed his winch setup and when the battery dies, he acts surprised-duh!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, folks, here it is, real quick. My van is rated (according to the door sticker) at 8600 GVWR. It doesn't take very much of a trailer to put me up and over 10,000 CGVWR. My old boat trailer wouldn't do it, but it was a real lightweight. Almost any cargo trailer now on the market would put me over. About that guy with the van pulling a trailer: I understand from elsewhere he was already having troubles, and now he goes into the mountain country of North Carolina towing heavy. He had to overheat, there was no getting around it. That's when I quit watching. One of my friends who did watch the show told me later how this came out.

Secondary note, from a post above this one: I'm under 10,000, so I don't have to log. But, no way in hades am I going to drive three days straight pulling fifteen hours a day. That's asking for trouble, and you don't need DOT to explain that to you. Tinkerbell can probably explain it well enough while she gives you directions after your second fifteen-hour driving day. Or maybe halfway through it, depending on how your luck holds out. (For those who need it explained: After pulling that many hours, you begin seeing things that aren't there, and maybe not seeing things that are there. The risk isn't worth it.)

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr. Longhair said he has 4 masters and still he says they are shippers? That even made my granddaughter say hmmmmm aren't they the carrier

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Well, I didn't get my stuff moved on Uship. Out of all the people that bid, I think 1 guy had 1 feedback. The rest had "0". Even the guy who had a feedback stated on his profile that he had just started in the business after seeing the tv show. He suposedly had a freight background though.

To be fair, there was one person who asked about the load whom I would have used if he had bid. There was going to be a lot of heavy lifting and I think it was just he and his wife doing it, so I think that's why he never bid once he got the details.

fins_up_fl

Active Expediter
Have you guys been on uship.com???? what a joke.. EVERYBODY thinks that fuel is under 2 bucks a gallon or something.... talk about cheap freight.............. ****

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any thought I might have had about using Uship to secure freight has been cured by watching what little of the show I watched and by reading these comments. Deadheading home is actually a much better choice than trying to use Uship to get the next load.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Like storage wars.. Shipping wars has had it's intended effect on the industry. Bring in a flood of stupid newbies and milk them for all they are worth.

Someones left behind junk brings 1500 bucks at a storage auction now. And someone gets .25 a mile to haul it to the dump on uship.

here is a prefect example of a shipment that makes NO sense..

http://www.uship.com/shipment/Motorcycle-Camper/974119630/?rt=1&i=7&p=50

It's a trailer, tires have air in them and looks road worthy. Shipper is demanding .81 a mile (or there abouts) and an enclosed trailer.

Now. I will find myself in Duluth this week. And I need to go to Milwaukee. So this load would work for me. I could tow it with my van. But not for .81 a mile. His demand to have it in an enclosed trailer is nuts. Half the route is state highways through small towns.

This trailer likely has a 3000lbs axle that would put me over 10k gvw. (van is 7200 GVW)

And it gets better! Click the customer. He's a hauler! Looks like he is playing broker now.

My current carrier won't let me operate under their authority if it's not dispatched by them. So I'd never actually take a uship load. But I go look and laugh from time to time ;)

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not a chance. The comments already indicate a fussbudget customer (don't ask me why, but the cheapest customers are also usually the fussiest) and more trouble than I need. It's a travel trailer, fer cryin' out loud. Get a hitch and wiring harness on your van and you're set to go, and at only four hundred pounds I wouldn't have to worry about exceeding weights-- it's doubtful the DOT would pay any attention to a van towing a pop-up camper trailer. But, the customer insists on an enclosed trailer and that's where the trouble comes in. That thing can sit until the customer tows it himself-- which is what I would do if it were mine, why hire it done when I can hitch it behind my car and do it myself?

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I for one and maybe the only one from the looks of posts applaud these people for having the gumption to get out there and give it a go!

Youre not the only one ...... and certainly took the ole ridicule risk , by "coming out" and being honest.

I cant see any reason those folks arnt entitled to give the profession a go. Like any other large labor force, you're gonna have the good and bad. This shows got guys with nice equipment and knowledge and the "not so muchers". They all have the same entitlements we have....to work or to leech of the system.

It's easy to sit at home behind a keyboard and question ones trust-worthyness. It's totally another thing to actually get out there and do the job.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Not a chance. The comments already indicate a fussbudget customer (don't ask me why, but the cheapest customers are also usually the fussiest) and more trouble than I need. It's a travel trailer, fer cryin' out loud. Get a hitch and wiring harness on your van and you're set to go, and at only four hundred pounds I wouldn't have to worry about exceeding weights-- it's doubtful the DOT would pay any attention to a van towing a pop-up camper trailer. But, the customer insists on an enclosed trailer and that's where the trouble comes in. That thing can sit until the customer tows it himself-- which is what I would do if it were mine, why hire it done when I can hitch it behind my car and do it myself?

Guy is a real smart a$$ isn't he? wonder how well that trailer would fit up his smart... well.. you know.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Want to make $300,000 as a Shipper on UShip???

Well, it can be done!!!

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/jennifer-brennan-net-worth/

Jennifer Brennan, shipper for hire and member of the cast of the upcoming A&E reality TV series Shipping Wars has a net worth of $300 thousand. Part of her net worth has been earned in the shipping business, the fringe of which Jennifer is part of. She makes her living by bidding on jobs to ship unusual or “unshippable” items to and from various parts of the country.

I love it......Just LOVE It!!!:rolleyes:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a question: How in bloody thunder do they get away with this, on TV no less? I get jumpy if I forgot to put my signs up, and these people are running stuff that should get them nailed-- and with one exception they don't??? (Exception: one guy gets pulled over because he didn't have tags on his trailer, if I remember that right.)

I'm thinking about this. The idea that Jennifer doesn't have DOT papers for her rig is only part of it, since she hauls livestock does she possibly also need papers for that. It seems to me she just might need them.

I missed last night's show, I was on the road at the time so right now I'm going by what other people say and by what I've seen previously. It doesn't seem anybody on the show is doing it right, though. I wonder if I really can get away with buying a cargo trailer to pull behind my van--- nah, I'd better not. I have enough trouble now as it is.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does an Illegal, protest right on national TV and not get arrested and deported?
Cattle....you need their birth certificate to cross state lines....