$901.00 .. all better!

Monty

Expert Expediter
At 119,000 miles my Sprinter had aggravated me for the last time with reduced power, and a couple of days ago it shut off completly coming down I-75 ...

New EGR valve ... :rolleyes:

Monty

Expert Expediter
This year, matter of fact just today! :D

It is an '08 model that was placed in service in '10 .. I've had it on the road since April, last year.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't know for sure, but my thinking is that that unit would have a 100,000 mile warranty..being only 19,000 mile over that, i would have thought that MB would work with you on the price.....

Monty

Expert Expediter
I paid cash, the dealer, (Stoops), is going to present it to warranty, I had the complaint, (verified), back when it had 94,000 miles on it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
OVM... my son loves that bird in your avatar on youtube. I clicked on one that showed him getting killed, and my son started bawling! LOL

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I opened this for like the 3rd time and I just realized that I think I have a related problem with the company sprinter I have been driving. Let me explain my situation and tell me if its the same.

When I was given the van, I was told that they think the floor matt moves and gets stuck and prevents it from accelerating once in a while. I didn't believe it. So when it first happened to me, I eventually pulled over. Tried playing with the matt. For some reason, I turned off the van and I started it and it worked.

So the next time it happened, I pulled over and re-started it and it worked. I felt like I had diagnosed it somewhat and found a solution. It didn't happen that often, maybe once every 500 miles, so it wasn't a big deal.

But if felt like it happened more on big mountainous hills and would also get triggered if I hit a pump, aka uneven concrete. But this past week, I notice its happening more and more.

What happens is, it loses power, I have a hard time keeping the speed. Most of the time I use cruise control, so I hear it and feel it slow down immediately. Then I could tell the cruise is trying to speed up to get back to speed but something won't let it, it doesn't have power. Which means, I have to pull over, stop and restart the van and it works fine again.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I opened this for like the 3rd time and I just realized that I think I have a related problem with the company sprinter I have been driving. Let me explain my situation and tell me if its the same.

When I was given the van, I was told that they think the floor matt moves and gets stuck and prevents it from accelerating once in a while. I didn't believe it. So when it first happened to me, I eventually pulled over. Tried playing with the matt. For some reason, I turned off the van and I started it and it worked.

So the next time it happened, I pulled over and re-started it and it worked. I felt like I had diagnosed it somewhat and found a solution. It didn't happen that often, maybe once every 500 miles, so it wasn't a big deal.

But if felt like it happened more on big mountainous hills and would also get triggered if I hit a pump, aka uneven concrete. But this past week, I notice its happening more and more.

What happens is, it loses power, I have a hard time keeping the speed. Most of the time I use cruise control, so I hear it and feel it slow down immediately. Then I could tell the cruise is trying to speed up to get back to speed but something won't let it, it doesn't have power. Which means, I have to pull over, stop and restart the van and it works fine again.

what year?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Could be the EGR valve, or a malfunctioning fuel flow sensor on the fuel rail. It's probably the former, especially if you don't get an engine light all the time.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Could be the EGR valve, or a malfunctioning fuel flow sensor on the fuel rail. It's probably the former, especially if you don't get an engine light all the time.

Its an 07. There are like 2 engine lights on all the time that are written up on my pre trip inspection sheet. I can't remember off hand, what they are.

But thx regardless, if I can narrow it down to 2 things for maintenance, that'll be a big help for them.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Seems to me like the Owners of the Sprinter aren't maintaining it properly, and will probably complain when they have to do major repairs early on in the vans life.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its an 07. There are like 2 engine lights on all the time that are written up on my pre trip inspection sheet. I can't remember off hand, what they are.

But thx regardless, if I can narrow it down to 2 things for maintenance, that'll be a big help for them.

Do you idle a lot? % wise? how many miles on it?

Monty

Expert Expediter
That is exactly the symptoms I had .. one final check for you ... when you pull over to "restart and reset" .. have you even given it fuel while parked, and it sounds like a 4 barrel carb sucking air?

I also had fuel pressure sensor codes, but the tech said those most likely came for the ECM trying to compensate for the faulty EFG valve.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Do you idle a lot? % wise? how many miles on it?

400k miles

They do regular oil changes but they have let a lot of minor things slide, it's obvious it's a company van. My pre trip sheet has a full paragraph of minor compliance issues like "part of plastic mirror broken", "licence plate holder light cracked", "transmission light on"

I idle for maybe 1-2 hrs a day on average but I've only had it for 2 months, no idea what previosly occurred.

It's in pretty goo shape for a company van with 400k miles though.

I've never tried to give it fuel when restarting, I've stopped waiting for exits to pull over if I can find a nice straight away and there is no traffic, so I try to get going as quickly as possible before traffic catches up. Luckily most of my runs are overnight and t happens in low traffic areas.

But it's just started doing it more often this week.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
6, 08 Sprinters on the road and this happens often. Rather than replace the EGR I have it cleaned when it is absolutely necessary, and use Diesell Kleen every 8-10 fill-ups. The Diesel Kleen seems to solve the problem most of the time. Idling is the EGR killer, carbon builds up. My Sprinters often idle 8, 12, 24hrs at a time, so the D. K. is well worth the cost.