8-2 Logging

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Can you please explaine how to use the 8-2 rule for logging and just how it can work or where one could or should apply it? How many times a week can one use this?

Thanks I pretty much just log up to as close to 11 hours in 14 than a 10 off duty than restart the next day.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
There is a Log Rule that lets you break your day and continue beyond the 14 hours if you only use it once a week or something like that. You supposivily can be in the bunk for 8 hours come out and begin driving again it just cannot be used over and over again. While I was with Averitt they had me use it once (told me to use this) even though I was confused but they said it was OK just could not use it everyday. Anyone know?

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
The way I read it you can use the 8-2 all the time but it gets confusing:

Let's say you have 14hr day drive for 6hrs. then take a 8hr. break when you come out of the sleeper you have 5hrs. of your 11 hrs. to drive (because 6+5=11) and you will have your 14 restarted,after 5hrs. you have to take your other 2hrs. for you full 10 now when you come out of the sleeper you subtract you time from you 14 it will look like this (5hrs driving+ 2hrs. break=7) so for your 14hrs. you will have 7 hrs because your break and driving =7, and you get no restart untill you are in the sleeper for 8hrs, minimum ( remember in for 8 but not more than 10 for a restart) so when you go back to work you have 7hrs. but you only have 4hrs. to drive. (5hrs.+2hr.break=7-that from your 11=4) then you are back in the sleeper for 8 then restart your 14 but subtract the 4 from 11hrs.driving=7????????? confused yet.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
confused yet.
Yeah, I am. If your purpose was to compose this in a confusing manner, so as to illustrate how confusing the subject matter is, you did an excellent job. The very first sentence confused me, and it was downhill after that.

"Let's say you have 14hr day drive for 6hrs."

What does that mean?

I'm not picking on you personally, not at all, I'm really not. I'm replying to what was written, not to who wrote it (I cannot stress that enough). But, come on, people, you have just got to write this stuff as if someone else is gonna read it.

you put a period after hrs. but not after hr oh wait sometimes you do put a period after hr. no wait again sometimes it's a comma instead of a period after hr, i'm so confused at least you capitalized the beginning of the paragraph that's something because i wouldn't have known where to start reading

At the very least, a period at the end of a sentence would be great. Capitalize the beginning of a sentence would be equally great. A comma would be good, even if it's a grammatically incorrect breath comma or used to separate a thought, whatever makes it readable will do nicely.

Spelling and grammar, while important in today's society, truly isn't all that important on these kinds of informal forums. However, making your posts comprehensible, capable of being comprehended or understood, readable, intelligible, most definitely is important.

Did you mean to say something like:
Let's say you have 14 hour day and you drive for 6 hours, then take an 8 hour break. When you come out of the sleeper you have 5 hours of your 11 hours left to drive (because 6+5=11), and you will have your 14 hours restarted. After 5 hours of driving you have to take the other 2 hours to get your full 10 hours.

Now, when you come out of the sleeper after the 2 hours, you subtract your time from your 14, and it will look like this: 5 hours driving + 2 hours break = 7 hours, so for your next 14 hours after the restart you will have 7 hours remaining (because your break and driving is 7 hours, and you get no restart again until you are in the sleeper for 8 hours minimum. Remember in for 8, but not more than 10, for a restart.).

So, when you go back to work you have 7 hours but, you only have 4 hours to drive because that comes out of your next 11 (5 driving + 2 break = 7, then subtract that from your 11, which gives you 4 hours). Then you are back in the sleeper for 8 hours, which will then restart your 14, but you have to then subtract the 4 hours from your next 11 hours driving time, for a total of 7 hours remaining. Are ya confused yet?

Y'all can get mad at me. I don't care.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Holy cow am I confused now. Used it once and still could not figure it out but office helped me thru what I now admitt is just as amuzing as what was explained. I appriciate your efforts will read this one well while I am not so sleepy. Thanks again.

Now let me go get some sleep.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So am I, but I ran it through my auditing SW and also called MSP and here is the scoop.

if you use this scenario, you will get put OS;

Let's say you have 14 hour day and you drive for 6 hours, then take an 8 hour break. When you come out of the sleeper you have 5 hours of your 11 hours left to drive (because 6+5=11), and you will have your 14 hours restarted. After 5 hours of driving you have to take the other 2 hours to get your full 10 hours.

I assume that the 14 restarted means that you get your 14 hours back as if you were in the sleeper/off duty for the 10 hours. and the second part means that the hours accumulated. I wish... The software comes up with an instant violation but the MSP said the the purpose of the 10 hour reset means that you are rested. So in another words, you have to take the10 hours off to reset the hours.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
So am I, but I ran it through my auditing SW and also called MSP and here is the scoop.

if you use this scenario, you will get put OS;

I assume that the 14 restarted means that you get your 14 hours back as if you were in the sleeper/off duty for the 10 hours. and the second part means that the hours accumulated. I wish... The software comes up with an instant violation but the MSP said the the purpose of the 10 hour reset means that you are rested. So in another words, you have to take the10 hours off to reset the hours.

When you take the 2 hours after driving the 5 after 8 sleeper you will not have the 14 reset . You will have 14 hours minus the 5 driving , the 2 additional sleeper (or off duty ) , and also minus whatever on duty time you logged between finishing driving and taking the 2 . It makes splitting hardly worth it . I almost always take the full ten .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
When you take the 2 hours after driving the 5 after 8 sleeper you will not have the 14 reset . You will have 14 hours minus the 5 driving , the 2 additional sleeper (or off duty ) , and also minus whatever on duty time you logged between finishing driving and taking the 2 . It makes splitting hardly worth it . I almost always take the full ten .

Thats what I do... sort of... what you said.... oh it is too confusing....

Kurn

Seasoned Expediter
The only way this works is if you take 2 hrs sleeper time in the 14 hr period,it does not stop the clock,however.Then you can do 8 hrs in the sleeper when you are finished.IMO it does not gain you anything.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Tis very confusing! I guess everyone is citing a 2 hr break, because that's the minimum required to count towards the 10, but it can be more - you can take 3 or 4, if you want. The part that makes it "almost not worth it" is the fact that a break of less than 10 hrs will not stop the 14 hr clock, which makes most folks just drive their full hours in one stretch. How this is supposed to be an improvement, is more than I can figure out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Kraig, the only exception to the 14 hr rule is the emergency clause: you get an extra 2 hrs if an emergency (usually weather) occurs, but it must have been unforeseen at the beginning of the run. That one you can use as often as you can prove that it qualifies.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Cheri... the 8 hr sleeper break does stop the 14 hr clock. Here's an example broken down a little easier. Sorry Greg ;)

7 hrs driving
8 hrs sleeping - still 7 towards 14
1 hr on duty - 8 toward 14
3 hrs driving - 11 toward 14
2 hrs off duty - 6 toward 14 (this break, when added to the 8 hrs sleeping, gets rid of the 7 hrs driving before the sleeper. However, the clock is still running until you get another 8 hrs in the sleeper. AND the 2 off duty is counted toward your 14 hrs. Continue... )
8 hrs driving - 14 out of 14 used
8 hrs sleeping - 8 toward 14; 14 hr clock stopped until you start driving or on duty; gets rid of hours off duty and prior
2 hrs off duty - 0 toward 14; 14 reset, as 2 hrsoff duty butts up against 8 hrs sleeping.

Broom... give me a hollar if you still don't get it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I always thought the 5 and 5 split was a pretty good idea. They used to have a deal where local drivers could get an extra 3 hours for one day of the week so they could get home. I don't know if they allow that anymore.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri... the 8 hr sleeper break does stop the 14 hr clock. Here's an example broken down a little easier. Sorry Greg ;)
Start @ 1200
7 hrs driving
8 hrs sleeping - still 7 towards 14
1 hr on duty - 8 toward 14
3 hrs driving - 11 toward 14
2 hrs off duty - 6 toward 14 (this break, when added to the 8 hrs sleeping, gets rid of the 7 hrs driving before the sleeper. However, the clock is still running until you get another 8 hrs in the sleeper. AND the 2 off duty is counted toward your 14 hrs. Continue... )
2100 - and this is where I lose it - the 14 hr clock didn't stop, and has 5 hrs to go, so how can you drive another 8? By my reckoning, you are out of hours at 0200, because (as you said yourself) 'the clock is still running' when you finished the 2 hrs off duty. I guess the part I don't get is how the 2 hrs off duty, when added to the prior 8 hrs sleeper, can 'get rid of the first 7 hrs driving' but not stop the 14 hr clock.
8 hrs driving - 14 out of 14 used
8 hrs sleeping - 8 toward 14; 14 hr clock stopped until you start driving or on duty; gets rid of hours off duty and prior
2 hrs off duty - 0 toward 14; 14 reset, as 2 hrsoff duty butts up against 8 hrs sleeping.

Broom... give me a hollar if you still don't get it.
I'm hollerin, here....:confused:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Cheri... don't make me pull out the sock puppets! I am just a caveman afterall.

At 2100, you have 6 hours toward your 14. (1 OnD+3 Dr+2 OffD) I'm not sure where you're getting 9 hours at this point.