8-2 Logging

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Correction: the "out of hrs @ 0200" should be 1400 :eek: but still: if the 14 hr clock begins at 2400, and DOES NOT STOP, it will run out at 1400, period. Only a 10 hr break will stop the clock, and neither an 8 hr stretch in the sleeper, nor a 2 hr stretch, will stop the clock - you said that yourself, (at 2100) so which is correct?
My understanding of the newer version of HOS is that we lost the ability to stop the 14 hr clock, by taking a break of 2 hrs, which is why most choose to drive the full 10 or 11 hrs straight. With only 14 to work with, the other 3 (or 4, if you drive 10 hrs) get used up by 'on duty not driving' time (loading, unloading, fuel, inspections, border crossing, hrs spent parked on the interstate waiting for a wreck to be cleared, etc) so there's risk in using any of those 14 hrs for a break.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well what do you expect from something written by a bunch of lawyers and ATA execs? I have no doubt it was purposefully made this complicated so drivers would chose not to use it.

And they wonder why drivers cheat...

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Kraig, the only exception to the 14 hr rule is the emergency clause: you get an extra 2 hrs if an emergency (usually weather) occurs, but it must have been unforeseen at the beginning of the run. That one you can use as often as you can prove that it qualifies.

The rule allows 2 additional driving hours but you still have to maintain the 14 hour rule . FMCSA - Regulation: 395.1

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I'm hollerin, here....
Man, if you old pros are disagreeing about how the rules are to be perceived, imagine what it's like for a newbie, and add into the equation different rules for Ontario and Canada! Like TH said, no wonder some drivers cheat!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Its 4 am in the morning,just woke up,to watch some tv as not sleepy,then went on EO to read some old posts.this post by broom,has me confused,and I thought i had this HOS figured out.The only time that will stop the clock is a straight 8 hours of off duty,line 4 or 3 in your log book,or combination of both.that 2 hrs that your useing for the rest of the 10 hours will not stop the clock,WILL NOT STOP THE CLOCK.How do i know this,the friendly DOT officer told me this when we first started the new hos,he said he could have written me a ticket,but,since this was confuseing,he didnt.