60% + fsj + unknown fleet owner

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
WOW... I guess its just me...but my driver has a Gas card for gas, it doesn't cost him a dime to use it...the gas he uses this week is taken from the settlement before I get paid my the office...no interest is charged...he knows what each run pays the van and what the FSC is before he takes the run...he has the password to MY fleetvison account and can see all the numbers anytime he wants to...including what I MAKE IN MY VAN....

Everything is right there in blk & white for him to see and print out if he wants to...so its not a issue at all....

Unfortunately Denis, I doubt most fleet owners are not as open as you are. You treat your drivers as true partners.

I think that is the ideal situation and if I was ever to look to drive elsewhere, I'd want a similar setup and if I ever own a fleet of my own, I'd trat my experienced drivers the same way.

The ironic part is my question has been for just to see how others thought about the situation and I wasn't even looking for advice, just perspective.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Greg334 your incorrect call corporate they will tell you its the same for st8s... and most brokers break it out that way as well. It is important cause thats what i pay my drivers.

Camper

Not a Member
aah poor baby, I'm sorry educating people hurts your feelings, in the future you don't have to open threads I start to spare your feelings.

Last I checked, asking questions that have been raised and answered in numerous past threads isn't "educating people"

Your response to what many others have suggested(using the search tab) just illustrates a very sophomoric mentality, at best.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Regarding risking money you saved to pay for fuel when starting with an unknown fleet owner, expediting is a risky business. The failure rate is high. You mitigate your risks by driving safe and doing everything you can to make good business decisions but if it is risk you seek to avoid, this endeavor should also be avoided.

If I may be so bold as to embolden your last line. Excellent!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not once did anyone point out that with most carriers he wouldn't be using his money, that the fuel money is advanced. That is a HUGE factor imo.

I'm sorry if too us lowly noobs that means we thought that we'd actually have to pay for it out of our pocket.

Now I feel like noob. I have never, ever taken an advance because I thought it was my money being advanced to me and not some form of magic money. Silly me. I think Cheri hit on this but I can't read Munchkinese.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I will call operations to get the right FSC, but I already know that they have a tiered level for their FSC, not one flat rate because if they had one flat rate, the SuperBs would be making a million in short order.

By the way just wondering, are you a third party capacity provider or a BCO?

So ... let's go play LS agent rate game for a moment. :p

I was offered a run for $1.65 - all inclusive - from Detroit to Memphis. This is when fuel was $3 a gallon, but for my example, let's go with the 47 cents for $4.00 a gallon which you are saying we get.

For me by the way is not the RPM but the total.

But I digress ...

For the $4 a gallon price, this would mean that I am getting $1.18 TTT, which means for the customer would pay ~$1.98 plus 47 cents ==> $2.45 a mile - which is cheap cheap load board cheap.

So let's take the original offer at $3 a gallon, from my records I get the all inclusive of $1.65 which includes the 18 cents per mile is the fsc of what I should be seeing at $3. SO that means TTT I am getting $1.47 and that means the customer is paying ~ $2.35 plus the 18 cents FSC for a total ==> $2.53 a mile - which is still on the cheap side but acceptable.

I won't get into the agent's end of things, which is very flexible.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Last I checked, asking questions that have been raised and answered in numerous past threads isn't "educating people"

Your response to what many others have suggested(using the search tab) just illustrates a very sophomoric mentality, at best.

Show me a thread where someone asked about their rate and then people said to take a 60/40 split and that the fuel is advanced, I can't find one.

So with your senior skills, can you do that for lowly me please.

If this thread is so useless, then why does it have so many likes?

Why have I received multiple PM's from other noobs thanking me for starting the thread.

But be proud of yourself because you can call people less experienced than yourself names, your cool. I'm glad I could give your ego a boost by attempting to belittle me.

I don't care if you think my questions are sophomoric, we are not all at your experience level.

Also not all of us have computers and searching on a phone is beyond cumbersome.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Now I feel like noob. I have never, ever taken an advance because I thought it was my money being advanced to me and not some form of magic money. Silly me. I think Cheri hit on this but I can't read Munchkinese.

If someone is going to lend or advance you thousands of dollars for 3 weeks for free, then it's silly imo to use your savings instead of using someone else's money.

You could be putting your money to work for you and be making more with it.

Camper

Not a Member
Show me a thread where someone asked about their rate and then people said to take a 60/40 split and that the fuel is advanced, I can't find one.

Why have I received multiple PM's from other noobs thanking me for starting the thread.

But be proud of yourself because you can call people less experienced than yourself names, your cool. I'm glad I could give your ego a boost by attempting to belittle me.

I don't care if you think my questions are sophomoric, we are not all at your experience level.

Also not all of us have computers and searching on a phone is beyond cumbersome.

I'm not the only one to have suggested use of the ole' search tab with respect to what is essentially an elementary question. The fact that you would whine because it was directed at your post which is an Expediting 101 type question further demonstrates this thin skinned temperament you seem to have.

FYI..a two second search pulled up this thread:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/newbies-paradise-forum/49057-driver-pay.html

..Please note, Paullud's post(post #4). 60/40 is very much standard. As for fuel being advanced..That will vary, owner to owner.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well...Considering the huge data base stored now on this site.....lets just shutdown the forum and use the search engine?....

Can you imagine if every response to a question was...
"Use the search tab" gee whiz...

Camper

Not a Member
Well...Considering the huge data base stored now on this site.....lets just shutdown the forum and use the search engine?....

Can you imagine if every response to a question was...
"Use the search tab" gee whiz...

Yes, a dead horse is a terrible thing to waste.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, i think the OP'er is a bit mistaken as to the fsc..1st it is NOT meant to pay for ALL of your fuel...it is an "OFFSET"..yes if you are careful and good, sometimes you can pay for your fuel and make money off the FSC..that being said...taking the "ADVANCE" to pay for the fuel/gas is just that, and ADVANCE..you are using YOUR money....if you didn't take it as an ADVANCE, you would get it at the end of the week in form of the settlement to to the truck...

Before I signed on with Load 1, I used a Credit Card that was strictly for gas for my van, i NEVER took and advance to pay for the fuel or anything else for that matter...I now use Load 1's fuel card because John as set it up to benefit the contractors and to make life easy for us...

What this thread questioning the use of ones own money shows is that alot of people are still getting into this business underfunded and expecting the compnay to fund them upfront for a certain amount of time, like until the build up a cash flow...thats not anyway to run any kind of business, if you can't use your own money to pay for gas, what happens when the trans goes out and you are looking at a $1800 tow and repair bill (in a CV, not a big truck)????

Anytime you are taking an ADVANCE, you are taking your own money, not the companies or the owners if you are a driver that is getting 100% of the FSC....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
^^^ What I said 15 posts ago.
Except the part about not having enough money being no way to run a business, because most folks know that already, methinks. If they haven't got the money, telling them they 'should' is hardly helpful.
People have started out with very little money, and have not only survived, but prospered, by being careful with their income, so why assume the OP can't do it?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
But, the driver is not taking it out of his bank account. If he takes the advance on the fuel card and buys fuel and keeps the rest it is money that the fleet owner can not screw him out of. Having 75% of your pay upfront and waiting for the other 25% is a lot safer for the driver than paying for the fuel out of money he already had and taking the chance that he will get nothing come settlement time.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Welcome to EO.;)

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
60/40

The way the pay comes out on the run offer.

You got DHPL pay and Fuel & DHPU Pay and Fuel & Run Pay and Fuel & Tolls. Then total Pay.

If the ower only gets 40% of the Run Pay and dont get nothing else. No DHPL or DHPU or Tolls or Fuel. Maybe.
if I was a man and wife team.

Being what it is where I am at. I only get run Pay no DHPL or DHPU or no Fuel or no Tolls. Only get % of the run pay. only. So if that was reveresed maybe if it was a Man and wife team. & the owner only got 40% of run that is it maybe. Other wise No Deal.

I Know what the OOP rakes in after the fuel is paid for ect. Its way more.
But then again He get the DHPL and DHPU Pays and fuels and all the tolls as well.
Like I said if he only gets 40% of run nothen else Maybe.
Own my own soon I will.
Im sure the company will keep me rolling and in the Black.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
But, the driver is not taking it out of his bank account. If he takes the advance on the fuel card and buys fuel and keeps the rest it is money that the fleet owner can not screw him out of. Having 75% of your pay upfront and waiting for the other 25% is a lot safer for the driver than paying for the fuel out of money he already had and taking the chance that he will get nothing come settlement time.

DING, DING, DING... you've won the prize at least twice now. Everybody else is too busy bantering about trust, funding, etc, etc to realize you answered the OP's question a long time ago.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That thread is part of the reason I asked the question, people talk about the standard 60/40 split but they don't say that the fuel is advanced.

For the 15th time, when you tell someone new to the industry that the driver pays the fuel, they assume it will come out if their pocket. Now that I know that most carriers are different frim mine, and advance fuel money, now I can share that info with other new people.

That point wasn't obvious to noobs if you read any of the debates between and uneducated noob and allof you experienced people saying take the 60% split. Noobs assume they have to pay for that out of pocket.

Go read the questions about fuel charge and armins questions to get an understanding of why I asked.

I suppose the YOU paying the fuel is an incomplete answer to the question.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Whether it comes out of your pocket or it comes out of the 60% is pure semantics. If the carrier advances you a portion of your money that you use for fuel, it's still coming out of the 60% and thus out of your pocket.

If you don't get an advance and need to buy fuel, you pay for it out of your pocket.

If you do get an advance and need to buy fuel, you pay for it out of your pocket.

There's no such thing as a fuel advance. It's an advance, period. You can do with it whatever you want - it's your money. You can even put it in your pocket and then remove it and use it to pay for fuel.

So, when I tell someone new to the industry that the driver pays the fuel on a 60/40 split, they absolutely should assume it will come out if their pocket, because that's where it comes from. How that money gets into their pocket is up to them, whether it's from last week's settlement of from a load advance.

If they are just starting out and have no money, and they need that advance money for operating expenses in order to, you know, operate, then as Chef noted, they are getting into this business underfunded, and that's no way to run a business.