5 Sprinter Vans - 2018 Financial Results are In

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If your drivers are paying for fuel, why are you claiming $119,150 fuel expense. If you paid $175,000 for your five $35,000 vans and you depreciate 91,500 in each of 2018 and 83,500 this year, will you be selling them at end of year?

guido4475

Not a Member
Poor guy. He openly posts his numbers, asking for everyone's thoughts, and ends up getting crucified....lol..

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Poor guy. He openly posts his numbers, asking for everyone's thoughts, and ends up getting crucified....lol..

You flatter yourself by thinking this guy needs your input. The original post was about bragging and recruiting.

It's interesting how Mon-Fri you can complain about multi this & that but on Sat you applaud this operation.

Edit: ... or for that matter my input as well ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He asked for opinions.

He got opinions.

It may open his eyes .....

A lot of people boast at first. As the equipment ages, reality sets in. He may have to work hard to stay ahead of this.

guido4475

Not a Member

You flatter yourself by thinking this guy needs your input. The original post was about bragging and recruiting.

It's interesting how Mon-Fri you can complain about multi this & that but on Sat you applaud this operation.

Exactly the type if reply I was expecting....lmao.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He asked for opinions.

He got opinions.

A lot of people boast at first. As the equipment ages, reality sets in. He may have to work hard to stay ahead of this.

Understood. Just so I'm clear ....

Why would he have to work hard? This is a person of means & resources. He doesn't rely on this income. Tossing 5 vans on the road was a test, a learning phase. He knew he wouldn't lose any $, so let's see what this expediting thing is about. After that, time to step up to bigger vehicles.

One more thought, I think hiring drivers to drive 150K mi a year should be criminal. Of course it's not because these are vans. If anyone wanted to add to the case of regulating vans, here's exhibit 1A. We've all had weeks or months of heavy miles but this is extreme to say the least.

Reactions: RoadTime and Ragman

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Exactly the type if reply I was expecting....lmao.

Glad I met your expectations ...

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He may begin working hard to make sure he doesn’t lose money.
I’m pretty sure he won’t.
Most trolls don’t.

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your drivers are paying for fuel, why are you claiming $119,150 fuel expense. If you paid $175,000 for your five $35,000 vans and you depreciate 91,500 in each of 2018 and 83,500 this year, will you be selling them at end of year?
They pay for fuel with my CC which is later deducted; I am conservative and give my vans 2 year useful economic life for accounting purposes. If they can last longer - better for us.

Last edited:

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
He asked for opinions.

He got opinions.

Why would he have to work hard? This is a person of means & resources. He doesn't rely on this income. Tossing 5 vans on the road was a test, a learning phase. He knew he wouldn't lose any $, so let's see what this expediting thing is about. After that, time to step up to bigger vehicles.

One more thought, I think hiring drivers to drive 150K mi a year should be criminal. Of course it's not because these are vans. If anyone wanted to add to the case of regulating vans, here's exhibit 1A. We've all had weeks or months of heavy miles but this is extreme to say the least.
Yes, you are correct. I wanted to learn the transportation industry And vans have the lowest barrier of entry. I just showed up to the dealership with no upfront capital and I am in business 1 week later. Now I am ready to move up.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He asked for opinions.

He got opinions.

Yes, you are correct. I wanted to learn the transportation industry And vans have the lowest barrier of entry. I just showed up to the dealership with no upfront capital and I am in business 1 week later. Now I am ready to move up.

For investors, there is money to be made with straights. My recommendation .. do it the right way. There is long term value in doing so ...

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
He asked for opinions.

He got opinions.

For investors, there is money to be made with straights. My recommendation .. do it the right way. There is long term value in doing so ...
That's where I'm heading....My other post was about ST truck leasing from Penske with full maintenance..

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's where I'm heading....My other post was about ST truck leasing from Penske with full maintenance..

Ah huh .... and exactly what type of trucks?

BigStick, this is your area of expertise .. thinking about Andy from your previous post.

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator

BigStick, this is your area of expertise .. thinking about Andy from your previous post.
Freghtliner M2 or Hino 268a with 26 ft box and a lift gate and a Texas type sleeper. Will run multi carrier operation.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Freghtliner M2 or Hino 268a with 26 ft box and a lift gate and a Texas type sleeper. Will run multi carrier operation.
I sincerely hope you post maintenance cost on those two.

Since you DO post numbers, can I ask why straights? Yes they have more freight opportunity, but myself, I haven't figured out how they earn more than vans...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If anyone wanted to add to the case of regulating vans, here's exhibit 1A. We've all had weeks or months of heavy miles but this is extreme to say the least.
Dude, what a way to send all the low ballers to ruin the trucking market even more.

Regulate vans, and everybody will be buying under 26k straights

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yeah, unfortunately we're still talking apples and oranges. I'm talking about signing on with a large carrier. Organizations that have safety and compliance departments, because you sound like you need it. You will not be able to squeeze as much juice from those oranges on a weekly/monthly basis but like I said, there's long term value.

You have a good chance of getting into some major trouble on your current path.