101 Ways To Double Your Income

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Wasn't there a lady driver here on the board some 5-6 years ago that was going to write a book also that covered this same information/concept/ideas/opinions??

While I'm not out there as an Expediter, nor have I ever been, the old addage still goes like this, "what works for others may not work for all". Same goes for the LTL/HotShot Hauling and Auto Hauling industry too.

Would I pay $$$ for a "Booklet" that covers how to make more $$$ in the Expediting Industry??? Nope. Expediting is probably not that hard to figure out once 1 is out there. I would probably be a very successful Expediter just from what I've learned here on this board, and other sites online, over the last 10 plus years. I'll start buying books again when I decide to give Open Heart Surgery a try.

That lady is Linda, her web site is Expeditetrucking.com> It's an information only type site. She does classes and other things. She and her husband been around a long time. Nice couple.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Is there really a market for a book? There are some expediters out there that will not buy a shower, much less a book. If there were a million or two expediters then I would say you have a small market for a how to book. But heck, good luck on it, let us know about any updates....

You hit that nail square on the head!!!:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand David's desire to share hard earned knowledge, he has been to more than one company and with more than one van but I think it could be tied into a lot of other inspirational things too.

With that said, I still can't see how a book would actually tell someone how to make money in this business unless it is written by someone who started at the bottom, worked their way up while either changing companies or becoming independent. Outside of those things, this is pretty much a watch your money type business.

By the way David, good luck with your retirement and enjoy your international travels.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
write the book I will buy it. Im always interested in learning more on the business. When or if I move to the 0/0 spot I will need all the info I could use including a better company paying company that can keep me running more

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There's a Radio program I believe it's called "AM After midnight" perfect place to sell a book. The guests include persons with multiple personalities, Aliens from outer space, people who have been with aliens in outer space, Doctors? maybe PHDs who explain about Government death rays, persons who have been reincarnated multiple times. I can never keep it on too long at night because I keep losing the signal. But it's entertaining. Great place to sell a book on Expediting.:p
Good luck in the P.I. I stopped there while in the Merchant Marines many moons ago. Very pleasant people.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking a "Best Of" from EOL, put neatly on Digital media (or a read only forum). Some of our members are absolute studs when talking about wiring the house batteries or insulating the Vans and such. others here are great at explaining things about the industry or their Carrier. So much knowledge here from Carriers, fleet owners, team drivers in every class of vehicle, solos. What's not to like?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for all of your thoughts.

Greg...you are right on track with the direction I was going with a book.

DaveK I have given back much of what I have learned from Terry, Phil and yourself. I have helped many people save countless thousands on insurance, equipment purchases and tax exempt purchases. My last move in the industry was not even remotely related to anything I garnered from EO. In fact, I never even looked at EO for over a year while in pursuit of this new direction. The van designs are mine and one upfitter actually incorporated my tips into his van upfit business. A thank you note from him would have been nice, because he charges a hefty price for his van upgrades. But business is business and it was nice to see one of my ideas incorporated into someone else's design. So we are back to "A laborer is worthy of his hire."

A huge thanks to all who have contacted me and encouraged me to write this book along with your promises to purchase a copy.

Moreover, thanks to EO for giving me some ideas regarding the publishing and marketing of a book.

Leaving April 6th from Pittsburg as I promised to visit my finacee's mother and sister, then to JFK and flying Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and onto Manila. The last leg will be Philippine Airlines from Manila to Palawan (Paradise) :)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sorry Dave but this post seems like a "toot your own horn" post. I'm sorry but I have to tell it like I see it. DaveKc, Ateam, Greg, Cheri, Leo, Dreamer, RichM, Terrryandrene, Ragman, Moot, Turtle, Geo, Teamcaffee, and many more have posted things on EO that has help many people over the years. I have never seen one of them post that they would want paid for telling how they made money in Expediting. Anyone can double their income as we did last year, but remember the more money you make the more you spend to make it.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
At the moment, I can make a set of tires last 4 years if freight does not pick up,,I could use the book or the companies I run for could use the book. Hmmm. but then again, I went out of service for 2 weeks after sitting to much in one place watching the sun come up, go down. Getting repairs done, seeing the grandkids. When I go back in service I will do what many of u suggested. Like: no sitting over 36 hrs> all runs to Laredo will be drop the load, get some sleep and leave immediately> do not go west of the Mississippi River( sounds nuts,but I think its true after reviewing my BOLs for 6 months.)> No florida or do the same as Laredo, get the snell out asap> PS all the above may change, but many of the more experienced expediters couldnt be wrong, they know what works and what sucks IMHO

Maybe someone should post the top 10 or so areas that suck and to stay away from as much as possible.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To spur sales, maybe make a package deal that includes one of those magic bracelets that keep you from falling down.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I've given strong thought to writing a book on the mistakes I've made in life :rolleyes: and since, trying to make a living in Expediting. Only I don't expect to live long enough to ever finish.:p

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the moment, I can make a set of tires last 4 years if freight does not pick up,,I could use the book or the companies I run for could use the book. Hmmm. but then again, I went out of service for 2 weeks after sitting to much in one place watching the sun come up, go down. Getting repairs done, seeing the grandkids. When I go back in service I will do what many of u suggested. Like: no sitting over 36 hrs> all runs to Laredo will be drop the load, get some sleep and leave immediately> do not go west of the Mississippi River( sounds nuts,but I think its true after reviewing my BOLs for 6 months.)> No florida or do the same as Laredo, get the snell out asap> PS all the above may change, but many of the more experienced expediters couldnt be wrong, they know what works and what sucks IMHO

Maybe someone should post the top 10 or so areas that suck and to stay away from as much as possible.

Funny how everyone looks at how to work this business differently. Laredo is one place I will sit longer than other places waiting on a load. It is almost always worth it. Last week I went down there sat for 4 days and ended with a 2500 mile week.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I commend Rev,for wanting to share his knowledge,wish a book was around when I started,
but eveyone has a diffrent way of doing business,I've taken from my mistakes,and those of others who were willing to share,and have done fairly well over the years.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
DaveKc, Ateam, Greg, Cheri, Leo, Dreamer, RichM, Terrryandrene, Ragman, Moot, Turtle, Geo, Teamcaffee, and many more have posted things on EO that has help many people over the years. I have never seen one of them post that they would want paid for telling how they made money in Expediting.

Whoa there Dave, if I could make money doing that, I would gladly take it. :D

You know thinking about it, maybe Lawrence should cough up with a party for those on the list and a free hat and tee shirt for the hard work handing out fee advice. :cool:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Whoa there Dave, if I could make money doing that, I would gladly take it. :D

You know thinking about it, maybe Lawrence should cough up with a party for those on the list and a free hat and tee shirt for the hard work handing out fee advice. :cool:

Fee or Free??

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DaveKc, Ateam, Greg, Cheri, Leo, Dreamer, RichM, Terrryandrene, Ragman, Moot, Turtle, Geo, Teamcaffee, and many more have posted things on EO that has help many people over the years. I have never seen one of them post that they would want paid for telling how they made money in Expediting.

Thanks Bruno. It is great to be mentioned among such a distinguished group of expediters. But the truth is if I thought anybody would pay for what I know about expediting or life in general, I would gladly accept their money and also question their sanity. But I wouldn't question their sanity until after their check cleared.

If the Rev can make a buck with a book on the secrets of expediting, great. I just hope I get a footnote or perhaps a mention in the forward of his book.

Be careful out there David, the place is infested with Roman Catholics.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
About the only way my book would sell is if someone from the Moon organization stood on the corner and added a rose for a buck.:D

My book would be 8 years in expediting, What not to do. It:rolleyes: would be as thick as War and Peace.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My book in expediting would be a list of true and false questions.

You just bought a new van instead of a used one and paid for the depreciation. Was this a good decision?

You just paid someone 1600 dollars to build you a sleeper that you could have built for 160 bucks. Was this a good decision?

You bought a 2000 dollar Esbar heater when you could have spent less than 200 on a my buddy heater and 25 pound propane tank. Was this a good decision?

You just got an alignment for 69 dollars bud failed to get a lifetime alignment for 170 dollars. Was this a good decision?

You just paid the shop to do a tune up on your van 800 dollars when you could have bought used spark plug wires off a wrecked van on ebay for 50 bucks and did your own tune up for under 150 dollars. Was this a smart decision?

The list goes on and on!!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The list goes on and on!!!

Yeah it sure does, but it doesn't have to. The first question on your list should be: Is expediting a wise career choice or should I just get a real job.

My personal question to you is: Used ignition wires? Are you really that cheap and was that you dumpster diving behind the Cracker Barrel in Birmingham Sunday afternoon?