100K Buyout

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Mr. Bobthestooge,
if I recall correctly or close to correctly when a UAW worker is Laid off he collects unemployment, plus compensation from his employer which between the two approach close to 90% of his take home pay. Is this correct?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know how unemployment works down here but across the border if you receive a cash settlement of any kind the UIC figures that into weekly pays and you don't get a payment till your moneys gone.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why should Jamming Jim or others be put down because they have other income coming in. These folks keep the rates HIGH as they are not desperate to take that BS cheap load so they can hold out for a higher rate which eventually helps all. Yes you may get the occasional tourist but the hungry folks are what drives the rates down.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Rich as always there is a flip side to every coin, and you brought it to my attention. I hadn't thought of it that way before. I have never downed anyone for having additional income. I just never liked to see someone, especially with the same company that I was with, take a cheap load. Once the company knows someone will take it at a lower rate they start trying to push it on everyone. Then the ones who don't want the cheap rate have to fight to get what they deserve. I think people should hold out for a good rate, but that's easy for me to say since I'm out of the game. I just want to see the ones who are out there do good for themselves. When I was out there I didn't haul cheap freight. People have to think about more than the here and now. Of course I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Bobthestooge

Seasoned Expediter
Mr. Bobthestooge,
if I recall correctly or close to correctly when a UAW worker is Laid off he collects unemployment, plus compensation from his employer which between the two approach close to 90% of his take home pay. Is this correct? incorrect. 95%of your 40 hour pay.
arkjarhead it might be so but you don't get it from both ends .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What is the real issue here?

The retiree 100K winner getting into the business or the second income owner?

Look I am sorry if this steps on pro-UAW toes but I don't want UAW buyouts happening at all. I don't begrudge the person who is being laid off if they want to use this as a source of income but my God I am the one paying for the buy out when I purchase the vehicle.

In the case of Chrysler who is having these buy outs, my buying relationship is over with them unless they produce something that is on the lines of a quality product. I am sick of having a new Dodge product in the shop for stupid reasons. My Father got a PT cruiser and he hates the thing. It has been in and out of the shop since he got it - one problem they fail to fix is the drivers door gl**** it keeps falling. Brand new car, and it is falling apart.

As for expediting, let me tell you what I have to deal with at home. My wife works with several 'auto workers' wives. They work at U of M part time and for spending cash - no problem with that but two of their husbands will be leaving Chrysler with this buyout and they have been relentless in pursuing the expediting careers. Both of them have no clue what they are doing, one has about $300K to spend on a truck (cash) and knowing how they live, I would imagine that the day they get their buy out check the trucks will arrive at their homes. I have tried to explain to both of them what they need to do and it does not matter what I say, they both say this is just to kill time - I told them both to buy a d*nm boat and learn how to fish. So here is the problem, they will get a truck, then get a license and then decide to go to a company in that order (they have this written down by the way). They will take anything that comes over the QC or phone as an offer, which means that they will take the flat rate of 1.05 a mile including FSC because it does matter about the money. These are the people I am afraid of. by the by I have tried to get them to come here and read, but they don't want to spend the time.

So I am with OVM on this one.

Oh and on the lighter side of the buyouts, my cousin is one who will be getting something, he is trying very hard to hide the money from his wife. She will spend it in a New York minute the second it hits the bank. He wants to invest it and go work for his brother at MGM doing movie production work out in LA.

Bobthestooge

Seasoned Expediter
some of you people have things wrong about the buyouts . there are two(2) types.one is to get the old farts out (30 +years)that is 70,000 + you retirment. the other is for people like myself that is displaced that one is 100,00 (about 64,000 after taxes).i can't see stay at a place that don't give a rat's butt about there workers. i been reading a lot on here about your type of work. if your work hard you will be rewarded for it.if i'm wrong please let me know thank you

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, there is some p/t's and semi/ret. that do need the money and take our business seriously and thats fine BUT the ones that are just putzing around that have no clue as to the concerns of our profession. I would think if one wanted to see the country and have no investment they would drive/deliver those motorhomes dragging a car behind them to make a few bucks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
some of you people have things wrong about the buyouts . there are two(2) types.one is to get the old farts out (30 +years)that is 70,000 + you retirment. the other is for people like myself that is displaced that one is 100,00 (about 64,000 after taxes).i can't see stay at a place that don't give a rat's butt about there workers. i been reading a lot on here about your type of work. if your work hard you will be rewarded for it.if i'm wrong please let me know thank you

Bob...Sorry to hear about your job loss...Its good to see you joined here and are reading about what we really do and how. Theres alot more to this then just driving from point to point. I lost my very good paying job back in 83 when Firestone closed most of the plants in N/A.. all we got was severance pay. My plant had 1500 people and that was the Rubber Workers another useless union.
Bob you'll not find alot of love here for the UAW...It's not personal...it's just the overall aura that your ex union gives off. Welcome.

Bobthestooge

Seasoned Expediter
Ontariovanman. none taken the uaw is nowthat good right now. i rather be out of the uaw .i was rased old school.. you have to do work for a living

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
My experience tells me that there are more then a few on this site who love to speak as experts (the voice's of wisdom )who have never made a dime in this busienss.
They have dual pensions and just kill time being van expediters.Kind of makes me wonder about too much time on their hands.
I mean how can you give advise about how to turn a buck when it's the last thing your concerned with.Break even works just fine.The voice of wisdom never the less.Yes,it's a great fellowship,and such lovley people,why it's kind a family thing.No,it's kind of a BUSINESS thing for some,and it sucks right now.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
TallCal,
The reason I said something about family is because some people use the income their truck makes to support their family. Therefore slow freight or low rates affects their families. Wouldn't you think when plants close the freight pool shrinks? Then the driver pool gets larger. That isn't pretty either. I don't try to act like I'm an expert. I know a little about expedite. Not a lot. Just a little.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Hey Ark you were certainly not who I speaking about.In fact,it was a general statement about two income (pensioned)couples who call expediting a job.They think they can council newbies on the business side of this thing when they have no clue.They need to be experts on something even if it's just a hobby that allows them to travel around for free and act like an expert.I think it's a little creepy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wonder how the "paid tourist" folks do, when they get the load that puts them on a busy highway on a dark, foggy morning, trying to find the consignee in traffic that wants to go 65 mph, when you can't see any building addresses, nothing that says the name you're searching for, and the contact phone number turns out to be a fax machine.....:eek:
But hey - tomorrow morning, I can get me some beignets at the Cafe du Monde. Lagniappe, anyone?:D

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what that is Cheri, but I'm up for almost anything once. It sounds french. My experience with french food extends about as far as French's mustard and I don't know how french that is.