100K Buyout

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Wonder how many handy dandy 12 - 18 foot single axle camping machines will be in the mix after they get the cash?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No not Ford but for the richest auto workers in the world - Chrysler workers.

Wonder how many handy dandy 12 - 18 foot single axle camping machines will be in the mix after they get the cash?

yeppers, I should head back up to Michigan, put a quick paint job, fix the little problems and sell it to one of them retiring 'put nut on bolt' experts.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was unloading at the Ford Wayne plant and the receiver was talkin to buddies if he got a buyout offer he was going to buy a van and make the BIG bucks these guys do. (referring to me) I just chuckled and walked away.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Yeah but the problem is that he is serious. Too many drivers go into these plants and when asked by these workers about expediting, most drivers blow smoke telling these people about all this money their making and getting paid to see the country.

And the other sad part about it is all these expedite companys will put them on even as bad as it is out here right now.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I believe that the serious shakeout is coming and the part-timers and semi-retired are the ones in the best position to survive it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
fastrod ya might be right....the p/t's and s/retired usually have some sort of pension or other income....as opposed to those who rely solely on expedite income. I thinks the ones that are staying out and living load to load will be done in.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I find it very amusing when some post their concerns about retirees or people with another source of income expediting.
THESE FOLKS ARE EXACTLY THE ONES MOST SUITED FOR THIS BUSINESS!

Granted fleet owners do NOT like this category of expeditors because they require the needy and hungry drivers to continue to make their living for them.

Many of the posters on this website have a secondary source of income or are retired. They recognize the opportunity expediting gives them to augment their incomes and enjoy a bit of freedom doing it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and to those who feel threatened by it, you should get over it or find another way to make a buck.

just my opinion

Reactions: 1 person

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
KG said:
Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and to those who feel threatened by it, you should get over it or find another way to make a buck.

Hit a sore spot there kg?

Bobthestooge

Seasoned Expediter
you don't get 100k .uncle sam takes out his share. some of you could not work were i work at.you have to put up with a lot of BS.not just from company but also from the uaw(u.aint working) .try loosing your job an be told don't need you no more.ask the uaw to find you another job in side the company.and blow you off. if your are a worker they will no protect you . but if you are a lazey worker they will.but they want there 2 hour for dues .so count your blessing for being your own boss.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Fastrod, I've been mulling that point for a while now. At orientation the company said--part-timers are not welcome. It's seeming to me that the part-timers are the exact people that the company needs to man all these fringe locations. The company wants to expand its coverage, but to do that there have to be drivers sitting and waiting for loads. It's sort of a catch-22 for the company. It may be a dead area, but drivers have to be there to convince a customer that this is a company who will be there when they need to move freight. Until freight traffic is built up in an area, then who better to cover the loads than the part-timer sitting at home waiting for the occasional load. Maybe that's part of the strategy behind over hiring. Flood the fleet and the least finicky stick around. The driver shortage is an inaccurate description of the problem. It's a shortage of cheap drivers.

eb

Reactions: 1 person

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find it very amusing when some post their concerns about retirees or people with another source of income expediting.
THESE FOLKS ARE EXACTLY THE ONES MOST SUITED FOR THIS BUSINESS!

Granted fleet owners do NOT like this category of expeditors because they require the needy and hungry drivers to continue to make their living for them.

Many of the posters on this website have a secondary source of income or are retired. They recognize the opportunity expediting gives them to augment their incomes and enjoy a bit of freedom doing it.

just my opinion

I stand by my statement....

P/T and the semi retired only suit the carriers to flood the market with too many trucks because they have a second source of income and 1 trip a week they can live on.
Yes theres some posters on here that have a military pension and thats not alot from what I hear. If the others want a second income let them go flip burgers or be a Wally World greeter.
Most of us have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in our equioment and WE are seriuos about this business. Its our life, our living.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
yes, people who already have checks coming in need to let the guys who need to make an actual living out here work. but then again, retired people are better for bigger companies, because they tend to stick around even when business is slow.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
you don't get 100k .uncle sam takes out his share. some of you could not work were i work at.you have to put up with a lot of BS.not just from company but also from the uaw(u.aint working) .try loosing your job an be told don't need you no more.ask the uaw to find you another job in side the company.and blow you off. if your are a worker they will no protect you . but if you are a lazey worker they will.but they want there 2 hour for dues .so count your blessing for being your own boss.

I hope you don't think you are going to lease on with an expedite company and all the BS is going to end. It will most likely be the same amount or more BS. Just a different type.

Now on the part timers and semi retired I have to agree with OVM. I've talked to these people and most of them are the types that will accept anything dispatch offers them. Especially if it's somewhere they wanted to go. I was talking to a h/w couple once. From the way they acted they were pretty well off. They said they taking a load to VA. They had never been there before and really wanted to go. SO when dispatch offered the load to VA they took it. Even though it was a full D-Unit load and only paid .75 a mile with no fsc. I told them they were shooting themselves in the foot and cutting everyone else's throat. They said maybe, but at least we get to go to VA. It's stuff like that, that hurts the industry. Even if your truck only has to pay for itself don't haul cheap freight. That way you won't be hurting the ones whose family is depending on it.