Death by DeSantis

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes they chose in a different district because Walker was there.
That does not answer the question. You are assuming Disney had options and among those options, Disney chose the court in which Walker is a judge. And you are assuming that among the several judges in that court, they chose Walker.

But I'm not sure such options are available. You keep pointing to the result as proof that Disney chose that result. But you are avoiding my question about that being even possible under the rules of the court, and what other courts (if any) Disney could have chosen.

Yes, Walker is an Obama nominee. And yes, Walker is the judge assigned to this case. But I see nothing in the rules that predetermines that outcome or makes it possible for Disney to engineer that result.

We have seen Trump judge shop to get Judge Cannon, and we have seen the Texas DA judge shop to get Judge Kacsmaryk. But in both of those cases, Trump and the TX DA filed cases in courts where those judges presided alone. They knew they would get those judges because there were no other judges working at those courts; and they knew those judges were not just friendly to Trump or the DA's abortion position, but perhaps corrupt enough to abuse their power to produce rulings not based on the law but based on their political views. And we know these rulings were faulty because they were either overturned on appeal (Cannon) or stayed on appeal (Kacsmaryk).

But Disney did not file in any such court. They filed where any one of a number of judges might have been assigned to the case based on the process defined by that court's rules.

You say Disney chose the court because Walker was there. But how exactly do you know that? What information do you have that supports your assertion?

• Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How do you know that?
I’ve heard former Federal Prosecutor Andy McCarthy talk about this previously. These lawyers know when judges aren’t available (vacation or other reason) and when their preferred one is. Lawyers keep track of that if they really want to have a particular judge to hear the case.
They wanted this Leftist Obama judge because they know he will rule in their favor. It’s guaranteed predictable.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I’ve heard former Federal Prosecutor Andy McCarthy talk about this previously. These lawyers know when judges aren’t available (vacation or other reason) and when their preferred one is. Lawyers keep track of that if they really want to have a particular judge to hear the case.
They wanted this Leftist Obama judge because they know he will rule in their favor. It’s guaranteed predictable.
Like it is guaranteed and predictable that a Trump-appointed judge will rule in Trump's favor?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
If it's on TV, it must be true, right?
Many of the crime drama shows are from police reports.....judge shopping is a real thing it is done every day....you would not be a good lawyer if you didn't try to get the best deal for your client now would you?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like it is guaranteed and predictable that a Trump-appointed judge will rule in Trump's favor?
Did you know that some Trump appointed judges are actually picked by Dems? It’s the way they allowed judges to get confirmed. For every 2 judges that were picked by Republicans, the Democrats could pick one of their own, all under the auspices of calling them “Trump appointed judges.”
Bet you didn’t know that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Did you know that some Trump appointed judges are actually picked by Dems? It’s the way they allowed judges to get confirmed. For every 2 judges that were picked by Republicans, the Democrats could pick one of their own, all under the auspices of calling them “Trump appointed judges.”
Bet you didn’t know that.
No, I did not know that. What is your source? How did you come to know this?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Interesting Tweet About How DeSantis's Book Can be Used Against Him

I came across this Tweet this evening. It makes an interesting point.

"WHOOPS! DeSantis’ memoir just handed Disney a huge gift to use against him in court. In his book, DeSantis brags about rapidly mobilizing the state legislature to target Disney’s tax district. And that’s not all. Here’s why DeSantis screwed himself: The same passage in his book declares that DeSantis’ war on Disney “happened because of the company’s ‘support of indoctrinating young schoolchildren in woke gender identity politics.

"That is an ADMISSION by DeSantis that his actions are a retribution against speech opposing his legislation, the Washington Post reports. There are two BIG ways Disney could use DeSantis’ book against him. - First, it is an ADMISSION the legislation directly targeted Disney. The book describes DeSantis’s discussions with Republicans about the “thorny issue involving the state’s most powerful company.” - Even more, the book rips Disney for vowing to work to repeal the governor’s law, calling it “a frontal assault” on it. DeSantis threatens that Disney would “soon find out” what was to come. This is direct assault on Disney’s speech."
(Source)

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How is this breaking news? He has said this publicly. The issue is whether Disney should have special privileges ( their own government too) that other businesses don’t enjoy.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
How is this breaking news? He has said this publicly. The issue is whether Disney should have special privileges ( their own government too) that other businesses don’t enjoy.
Where did I say this is breaking news?

• Haha
Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, and it includes a false representation. You characterized it as breaking news when I said or suggested no such thing.
I was responding to the tweet that you posted. My response wasn’t a false representation. The first word in the tweet literally says WHOOPS! In capital letters with an exclamation point. Like the author represented it as a major find.
e.g. smoking gun, i.g. breaking news.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Wackos in the Republican Party Know Nothing But How to Tear People Down

It seems they don't care what the negative impact may be in the greater Republican Party. As long as they have a conspiracy theory to get their blood up, they're happy. It matters not who the target is. What matters is the blood rush that provides meaning and pleasure in lives otherwise devoid of both.
------------------------
To some, he is “Ron DeSoros,” a puppet of the Democratic megadonor George Soros. To others, he is “Ron DeSatan,” a vaccine-supporting evildoer. And to still others, he is “Ron DePLANTis,” a “plant” of the so-called Deep State.

As the governor of Florida — real name Ron DeSantis — explores a bid for the Republican presidential nomination, he has made overtures to supporters of former President Donald J. Trump. But he is finding that the conspiracy theories and outlandish attacks that Mr. Trump and his allies have aimed at rivals for years are coming for him as well.
(Source)
------------------------
I'm no fan of Ron DeSantis but it seems grossly unfair to call him a puppet of George Soros or a Deep State plant. DeSantis is neither of those. Republican who suggest otherwise, with no evidence whatsoever to back up their wacky claims, do more harm than good to their party and country.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Wackos in the Republican Party Know Nothing But How to Tear People Down

It seems they don't care what the negative impact may be in the greater Republican Party. As long as they have a conspiracy theory to get their blood up, they're happy. It matters not who the target is. What matters is the blood rush that provides meaning and pleasure in lives otherwise devoid of both.
------------------------
To some, he is “Ron DeSoros,” a puppet of the Democratic megadonor George Soros. To others, he is “Ron DeSatan,” a vaccine-supporting evildoer. And to still others, he is “Ron DePLANTis,” a “plant” of the so-called Deep State.

As the governor of Florida — real name Ron DeSantis — explores a bid for the Republican presidential nomination, he has made overtures to supporters of former President Donald J. Trump. But he is finding that the conspiracy theories and outlandish attacks that Mr. Trump and his allies have aimed at rivals for years are coming for him as well.
(Source)
------------------------
I'm no fan of Ron DeSantis but it seems grossly unfair to call him a puppet of George Soros or a Deep State plant. DeSantis is neither of those. Republican who suggest otherwise, with no evidence whatsoever to back up their wacky claims, do more harm than good to their party and country.
Just reading some of the nonsense in this forum is proof.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, I did not know that. What is your source? How did you come to know this?
I heard Mark Levin say this. He was chief of staff to the AG Edward Meese. He said Reagan did it and other Presidents as well. Primarily District Court judges, which there is roughly a thousand. For every two judges the opposition party gets one.