Death by DeSantis

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rumors were that DeSantis was going to run for President. He still might. The " attack ads " are designed to keep his poll numbers down. He hasn't been able to respond much. Trump's team got an early start to define him.

This reminds me of when Romney held onto most of his advertising money until the end of his Presidential campaign to use it. Saving it so he could finish strong and win the Presidency. But by that time the Obama/Biden campaign defined him in the public's eye as a non tax paying, dog torturing, childhood bully vulture capitalist that wanted to "put y'all back in chains". It was too late.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Disney Escalates Fight With DeSantis

“The government action was patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional,” Disney alleged in the civil complaint in U.S. District Court in northern Florida.

All he's doing is taking away their SPECIAL PRIVILEGES that other businesses don't have.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
DeSantis spokesman responds:
View attachment 22414
DeSantis can turn the press coverage of the Disney battle into free campaign promotion by spinning it as a fight to take back special privileges from the CA based entertainment giant trying to impose their woke values on FL children and their parents. While the other GOP candidates are trying to build name recognition, DeSantis is making executive decisions as a Governor. He may not have formally declared his candidacy yet, but he's staying in the news with substantive issues.

Also, let's not forget the legislation against Big Pharma he introduced in January of this year:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis can turn the press coverage of the Disney battle into free campaign promotion by spinning it as a fight to take back special privileges from the CA based entertainment giant trying to impose their woke values on FL children and their parents.
He can try. How's it been working so far?

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
McCarthy doesn’t always have the smartest takes. He said previously that the officer involved in the Ashli Babbitt shooting was just “doing his job”.

Reactions: Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
McCarthy doesn’t always have the smartest takes. He said previously that the officer involved in the Ashli Babbitt shooting was just “doing his job”.
Remember McCarthy is from CA, where Disney HQ is located.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yep, I was surprised that they didn’t file suit in Burbank. Must be some reason.
This was on Twitter the other day, posted by someone I've not heard of before,
@steve_vladeck

"By filing in Tallahassee, Disney had a 35% chance of drawing Chief Judge Walker; a 35% chance of drawing Judge Winsor (Trump); a 20% chance of drawing Judge Hinkle (Clinton); and a 10% chance of drawing Judge Stafford (Ford): https://flnd.uscourts.gov/sites/flnd/files/general-orders/20230307_Order_DeckAdjust_wSupRelLang_Dktd.pdf

"Judge shopping, it ain’t."

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This was on Twitter the other day, posted by someone I've not heard of before,
@steve_vladeck

"By filing in Tallahassee, Disney had a 35% chance of drawing Chief Judge Walker; a 35% chance of drawing Judge Winsor (Trump); a 20% chance of drawing Judge Hinkle (Clinton); and a 10% chance of drawing Judge Stafford (Ford): https://flnd.uscourts.gov/sites/flnd/files/general-orders/20230307_Order_DeckAdjust_wSupRelLang_Dktd.pdf

"Judge shopping, it ain’t."
Compared to what? They couldn’t file anywhere else? Like California?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Compared to what? They couldn’t file anywhere else? Like California?
I do not know. They could have filed in their hometown of Orlando, I presume. I simply don't know what their options were or why they filed as they did. The point Valdeck makes seems valid. "Judge shopping [Disney] ain't."

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do not know. They could have filed in their hometown of Orlando, I presume. I simply don't know what their options were or why they filed as they did. The point Valdeck makes seems valid. "Judge shopping [Disney] ain't."
Walker is an Obama judge. He was assigned the case. Must have just been another luck of the draw.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Walker is an Obama judge. He was assigned the case. Must have just been another luck of the draw.
They shopped for that judge. He’s a “progressive” judge. His rulings get overturned a ton too because they are so bad. Now we know why they filed there. Why file anywhere else when they can get this Leftist judge to serve up a favorable ruling for them.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How do you know they shopped for that judge?
Because any good lawyer would right? They’re only interested in winning for their client, which is Disney. Why wouldn’t they do everything they could for a favorable ruling? Being cognizant of the judges that will be sympathetic to their arguments is standard operating procedure and shopping to try a case in front of them is too.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Because any good lawyer would right? They’re only interested in winning for their client, which is Disney. Why wouldn’t they do everything they could for a favorable ruling? Being cognizant of the judges that will be sympathetic to their arguments is standard operating procedure and shopping to try a case in front of them is too.
In other words, you don't know. You are making assumptions and then making an unsupported leap to consider your assumptions fact.

Below is a link that takes you to the rules of the court in question. The rules describe exactly how judges are assigned to cases. There is no reason to believe the rules were not followed.

There might be reason to believe Disney considered various courts and selected this one in hopes of getting a judge "sympathetic to their arguments" as you put it. But there is no way to know that without additional information about how exactly Disney chose to file in this court. Do we even know Disney had a choice? In this case, did they have the option of filing in a different court?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In other words, you don't know. You are making assumptions and then making an unsupported leap to consider your assumptions fact.

Below is a link that takes you to the rules of the court in question. The rules describe exactly how judges are assigned to cases. There is no reason to believe the rules were not followed.

There might be reason to believe Disney considered various courts and selected this one in hopes of getting a judge "sympathetic to their arguments" as you put it. But there is no way to know that without additional information about how exactly Disney chose to file in this court. Do we even know Disney had a choice? In this case, did they have the option of filing in a different court?

They filed in a different district than where the company resides right?