The Fake News Depot

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When sleepy Joe is the best you have, desperation starts to set in.:bag:

So true it’s almost like they want trump to to get 4 more years so he can screw up things even worse.

Case in point he is talking about reducing the Medicare/ss payroll tax, which would be fine if we were knee deep in a recession like we were the last time it happened but the economy is still doing well. It’s almost like he is the ceo of a big company and he is going to do whatever he has to do to keep things going as long as he can to get his bonus. They will screw up the entire company (in this case the country) for his own benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What exactly has Trump screwed up?

Just trying his best to keep the economy going when we are overdue for a downturn.

Second thing is passing a big tax cut when the economy is doing well when we have record deficits.

Government stimulus is ok when the economy is at the bottom, not when it’s going well to try to keep it going. If you play all your cards now what do you have left when there is a recession?

By the way just so you know I do agree with the tariffs that is one thing he is getting right.

Reactions: Grizzly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just trying his best to keep the economy going when we are overdue for a downturn.

Second thing is passing a big tax cut when the economy is doing well when we have record deficits.

Government stimulus is ok when the economy is at the bottom, not when it’s going well to try to keep it going. If you play all your cards now what do you have left when there is a recession?

By the way just so you know I do agree with the tariffs that is one thing he is getting right.

Revenues to the government have increased with the tax cut. Spending is the problem.

Reactions: davekc and Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No they have not it’s been reported many many times that the revenue has gone down.

FAKE NEWS reporte many many times is still FAKE NEWS.

According to the US Department of the Treasury, who I personally believe has a firmer grasp of the facts than the MSM, individual income tax collections for FY 2018 totaled $1.7 trillion. That's up $14 billion from fiscal 2017, and an all-time high. FICA tax collections rose by more than 3%. Excise taxes jumped 13%.

The only category that was down? Corporate income taxes, which dropped by 31%.
Overall, despite the Corporate income tax drop, total federal revenues came in higher in FY 2018 - up 0.5%.

Spending, on the other hand, was $127 billion higher in fiscal 2018. As a result, deficits for 2018 climbed $113 billion.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If one is concerned about the Federal deficit, increases in personal income tax, the impending recession or or the total collapse of our economy; how could you ever vote for any of the current crop of Democratic presidential candidates? President Trump could win re-election on any one of these single issues hands down. Unless of course the electorate is totally brain dead and believes that free healthcare and the whole welfare package for all current and future illegal immigrants, forgiveness of student loans, removal of current tariffs with China, free wifi, subsidized sex change operations and organic, GMO free magic will lead to nation wide prosperity. We're doomed!

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I don't get these new found deficit hawks on the Left who are now concerned about what Trump is doing to the debt.( I actually do get why. Orange man bad.)
Spending is the culprit. And if the Dems had their way, Katy bar the door. Because as Moot pointed out, they have a laundry list of things that would be disastrous for the debt.
But the debt will never be tackled unless both parties do the right thing with the "entitlements".

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If one is concerned about the Federal deficit, increases in personal income tax, the impending recession or or the total collapse of our economy; how could you ever vote for any of the current crop of Democratic presidential candidates? President Trump could win re-election on any one of these single issues hands down. Unless of course the electorate is totally brain dead and believes that free healthcare and the whole welfare package for all current and future illegal immigrants, forgiveness of student loans, removal of current tariffs with China, free wifi, subsidized sex change operations and organic, GMO free magic will lead to nation wide prosperity. We're doomed!

When we are really doomed is when the economy does go down and they government is so far in debt that there is no way they can stimulate the economy back in the correct direction.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I don't get these new found deficit hawks on the Left who are now concerned about what Trump is doing to the debt.( I actually do get why. Orange man bad.)
Spending is the culprit. And if the Dems had their way, Katy bar the door. Because as Moot pointed out, they have a laundry list of things that would be disastrous for the debt.
But the debt will never be tackled unless both parties do the right thing with the "entitlements".

I read an article that was saying that 5% of the sickest people in our country account for 50% of the total healthcare spending. I bet most of them are probably on government assistance. I sure hope that they are not planning something that would result in those people getting cut off from the healthcare they need.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I read an article that was saying that 5% of the sickest people in our country account for 50% of the total healthcare spending. I bet most of them are probably on government assistance. I sure hope that they are not planning something that would result in those people getting cut off from the healthcare they need.
I don't know why you think most of those 5% are on government assistance. Most people have health insurance.

dalscott

Expert Expediter

Social security is not an entitlement. It is more like an insurance policy that we pay for all of our working life. We also pay for Medicare.
At least what the Dems want will benefit the nation as a whole (and the individual). Not like the tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No. Up you think only time healthiest people have health insurance?

Since insurance is for the most part tied to employment someone who is too sick to work is more than likely to be covered on Medicaid.

I’m sure there are dependents of people who work who fall into that category but I would project that 80% of those sickest people are on government assistance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Since insurance is for the most part tied to employment someone who is too sick to work is more than likely to be covered on Medicaid.

I’m sure there are dependents of people who work who fall into that category but I would project that 80% of those sickest people are on government assistance.

Now you're just trying to rationalize. My mom, for example, had esophageal cancer. It was a lengthy ordeal that required chemo, surgery, and a lengthy recovery. By the end of it all her medical bills totaled $2.2 million. All of it was covered by the insurance she got through her employer. But that's just one anecdotal piece of things.

Or is logical to assume that, because most of the sickest people tend to be the oldest, that a vast majority of the sickest people are in government assistance, but it's nowhere near what you think. The government does indeed pay for most of our most sick. Medicare paid 37% of the medical bills for the sickest five percent, while Medicaid pays for just over 10%, so 48%, not quite 80%. Private insurance pays for 46.6%. And 5.4% of the sickest Americans self pay.

The thing is, included in that 5% are the people who are working and have insurance, but something happens that requires high dollar medical care, and not just the older, sicker people with chronic diseases. A nasty staph infection that puts you in the hospital for 4 days (ask me how I know about that one), having a baby, an accident that puts your in the hospital for a few days, an appendectomy, breast cancer, lots of things that happen to working people with insurance. The CDC says as many as 50% off the population have some kind of chronic disease, and many of those involve working people with insurance, like heart disease, arthritis, diabetes.

It's the top 1% that really do the most spending, and those are really, really sick people, usually older and white, a large chunk in their last year of life, or people with, as you say, illnesses so bad they couldn't work regardless.

But none of this is new. It's been the sand 5% for at least my lifetime, and probably for centuries.

Reactions: muttly

dalscott

Expert Expediter

If they can get it.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FAKE NEWS reporte many many times is still FAKE NEWS.

According to the US Department of the Treasury, who I personally believe has a firmer grasp of the facts than the MSM, individual income tax collections for FY 2018 totaled $1.7 trillion. That's up $14 billion from fiscal 2017, and an all-time high. FICA tax collections rose by more than 3%. Excise taxes jumped 13%.

The only category that was down? Corporate income taxes, which dropped by 31%.
Overall, despite the Corporate income tax drop, total federal revenues came in higher in FY 2018 - up 0.5%.

Spending, on the other hand, was $127 billion higher in fiscal 2018. As a result, deficits for 2018 climbed $113 billion.

So for 2018 total revenue was up .5%, wonder what that is going to look like for 19 and 20, when the layoffs start and we are knee deep in a recession?