Why expedite if you have a CDL?

Mark Crain

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I noticed some drivers are running a van and have a CDL. Why not drive a TT? At 58 years old I recently got my CDL A and am sniffing around for a job.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I logged for 42 years.
Probably averaged $60,000 in wages. Possibly more.
That’s $2,520,000 from Trucking.
Sadly, I paid maybe $40,000 in Union dues.
Never put OOS for logs.,
It was a PIA.
So is working cheap and living like a homeless person.
Very legitimate question.

Reactions: Grizzly and Solar

Mark Crain

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Am I wrong in assuming more money is to be made driving a TT? I see a lot of complaints about no money driving a van.

Reactions: Solar

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was very fortunate to usually have top-tier jobs.
Union driver making $50,000 in the late 70’s.
Union driver making $76,000 in the mid 90’s.
Union O/O making big bucks for 10 years.
Then TVAL/ AA&E team in a straight.
There is good money in TT but harder to find. Tougher with reduced parking, EOBRs, etc.
Still, once you pay your dues I believe there’s money out there.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It’s kinda a life style choice, for over the road. Wife will not drive a big truck, so no brainier for me. I maintain my class A with all the endorsements but passenger, just in case.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Money for a employee is good with big truck, if it works for you. Vans can return good money with the right setup, for a O/O. There are broke vanners, and big rig shoes.

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I noticed some drivers are running a van and have a CDL. Why not drive a TT?
To quote the famous French expediter and philosopher Mouton Descrouton: "I think, therefore I van."

Think you said it before several times, to be successful in the van sector, graduated from the TT sector is a requirement. So true, so true......Lol..

But if you're lucky, you can skip the TT. Bummer....Lol...

Reactions: Moot and Solar

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Think you said it before several times, to be successful in the van sector, graduated from the TT sector is a requirement. So true, so true......Lol..
But if you're lucky, you can skip the TT. Bummer....Lol...
I still believe one should pay their dues in a T/T before taking it to the next level, van. Next level? I didn't really type that, did I? I dislike that ridiculous line almost as much as I dislike signature, handcrafted, artisan whatevers. Help! I think I need an intervention or perhaps a lobotomy.

rowekmr

New Recruit
Driver
I just found this thread and like the OP I also wondered what the Expediter business is like. I also have my Class A and am looking at future driving opportunities.
What is the typical radius for runs? Is this typically warehouse to consumer runs? Can you do this and be home every night?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
rowekmr, The expedite business model as discussed on this site does not allow home every night and very seldom every weekend. Simply stated, Every night home truck drivers are generally city delivery folks. Over-the-road truck drivers that are home every night would travel from home to point A and return. Expedite drivers travel from home to point A then from A to B; B to C; C to D; etc and get home not much more, on average, than one week per month. It is common for many to be away from home for 3 or more months.

Reactions: guido4475 and Solar

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can be home as much as you want to.

If I drive 1000 miles, in a van, not only do I make near $2000 (cdn) gross for it, but I can turn around and drive right back if I need to. Try that in a TT. That's not to mention the $400 or so (cdn) I can make daily going 4 hours from home, and coming back sleeping in my own bed.

23 mpg, no payments, the freedom to be left alone. That's why.

Disclaimer: I don't partner with companies that pay like crap or insist on you being "out 3 home 1" anymore. I guess I'm not a true "expedite" but who the hell cares