How's It Going @ FedEx Custom Critical?

Jacqueline Gholston-Gray

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
It has always been my goal to return to FedEx Custom Critical as a Small Fleet Operator.

I started out in 2012 and I left periodically because I couldn't make a profit as a Sub-Contractor driving someone else's Expeditor Straight Truck.

I spent almost two years away refreshing my semi-tractor driving skills.

I am curious because it seems there are a couple systematic hiccups before I even start.

Again, I AM CURIOUS . . . . as I've mentioned I am returning and I am up at the Home Office in Uniontown, OH with a semi-tractor waiting for orienation on Monday.

I am a Solo Driver with Hazmat, TWIC and FAST. Do you think my credentials will be a plus to keep my truck busy or has FedEx CC lost accounts and loads over the past two years?

WHAT DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT
Landstar or Interstate Trucking?

Is Either a More Fleasible Business Opportunity than FedEx Custom Critical?

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Interstate Distributor was bought out by Heartland (Heartless) Express, to die a slow, meaningless death.

Landstar is where I would want to go, if I got back into expediting in a semi. I like to be able to find freight conducive to the ever-changing freight lanes. You can use any of Landstar's agents, not just Express America.

As A-team has posted, his experience with Landstar allowed he and his wife to run their business as they saw fit; and they profited heavily from it, compared to their final days at FXCC.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would say that Hawks is right on the money. Landstar is a better choice at controlling what you do. The agent network at Landstar is very big, remember agents don't get paid unless they are putting loads on drivers trucks.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If you come to Landstar you will not be in Express as you are a tractor trailer. You can haul Express freight but will not be in Express and you will be using more of the load boards. Express & Carrier Group trucks are handled totally different in the Landstar system. It gets a little odd but Express is a division all its own and includes only vans and straight trucks.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you come to Landstar you will not be in Express as you are a tractor trailer. You can haul Express freight but will not be in Express and you will be using more of the load boards. Express & Carrier Group trucks are handled totally different in the Landstar system. It gets a little odd but Express is a division all its own and includes only vans and straight trucks.
Back in the day when I ran for LEAM, they had about 5 tractors leased on with LEAM. Over time they were doing more loads from the sister companies because Express couldn't keep them loaded. So over time corp. decided to eliminate the tractors from leasing on to LEAM.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
My uncle Jim had four tractors with drop decks on with Landstar Ranger and did very well. When he retired he sold off his truck repair business and racing team, but kept the trucks a few more years.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
And so she staggers into the full light of day. Not a soul says a word about fxcc yet here we are.
As a late post I'm sure you already can tell that "it depends".
Ya gotta learn the system. For you in T.T they are desperate for. But you'll never hear them say so. White glove is better & as team.
By now you've a glimmer of "good choice" vs "bad choice".
Fxcc is (despite words to contrary) team focused, for singles it will always be "it depends".

SGAVan1

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you come to Landstar you will not be in Express as you are a tractor trailer. You can haul Express freight but will not be in Express and you will be using more of the load boards. Express & Carrier Group trucks are handled totally different in the Landstar system. It gets a little odd but Express is a division all its own and includes only vans and straight tr.ucks.
I am set up with Landstar as an outside carrier. The loadboard I have access to has very few loads for Express.
Does Express have a separate load board? I have a couple of phone #'s for Express agents. Is there a certain list of Express agents? Thanks for any help you can give.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you come to Landstar you will not be in Express as you are a tractor trailer. You can haul Express freight but will not be in Express and you will be using more of the load boards. Express & Carrier Group trucks are handled totally different in the Landstar system. It gets a little odd but Express is a division all its own and includes only vans and straight tr.ucks.
I am set up with Landstar as an outside carrier. The loadboard I have access to has very few loads for Express.
Does Express have a separate load board? I have a couple of phone #'s for Express agents. Is there a certain list of Express agents? Thanks for any help you can give.
No load board just for Express.